DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigger View Post
    Just a guess but I bet this camper is not a member of HF nor has he ever had the correct hanging information presented to him. Maybe he will get the knowledge necessary for a safe and fun hang soon. And a LNT result. In all things KNOWLEDGE is power.
    See I was thinking the opposite. I could be wrong, but I cant imagine someone into hammock camping and not finding HF. That said, I see he is hanging from para-cord or the like with no tree straps. Nuff said
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Got some questions. So you can't hang in this camp ground at all then? As far as I know you got to tie up to a tree to hang. Do they have poles you can hang your hammock from? If not this guy was SOL to hang a hammock any where in the Grand Canon. Bummer!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappersim View Post
    Got some questions. So you can't hang in this camp ground at all then? As far as I know you got to tie up to a tree to hang. Do they have poles you can hang your hammock from? If not this guy was SOL to hang a hammock any where in the Grand Canon. Bummer!
    The grand canyon is a bit different than most places. The campground in question is one of only a couple that are at the bottom of the canyon. The trees were planted in the 20's by the CCC as part of the construction of the park facilities. The growth of the trees is very slow due to the environment and conditions in the bottom of the canyon. As such the park bans attaching anything at all to them....do not drape your sweaty T shirt on the branches, don't hang anything from them and no hammocks allowed.

A couple of years ago 4 of us members/vendors wanted to do a trip and we worked very closely with the backcountry manager to get it approved to hang. We spent 2 months discussing options and ways to hang without using the trees. We had to convince them that we are knowledgeable in leave no trace camping methods, hammock camping experts that could make it work and that we assured them we would not damage the structures that we hung from. It was a very lengthy process and in the end we were given special permission. Part of that trip was to help determine if hammock camping would be a viable option for others. We checked out the structures and the pack poles and any other resources that we could find at the campgrounds and found that with the infrastructure that is in place hammocks are really not a good option. We talked about the Handy Hammock stand as an option and almost took one with us but we found that the ground in the camp grounds is so hard packed that it would take re-bar and sledge hammers to drive in rather than the tent stakes that are normally used. Many of the pack poles wiggled in the ground with just light pressure....an adult could push them over if they tried, not even putting body weight on the. And at most there is only one per site in the campground. There is no way to hang a hammock without violating the rules.

At this point the below rim campgrounds are not suitable for hammock camping and to try it is irresponsible and a clear violation of the rules of the park.

I do hope that one day proper pile stands or a framework might be added to a couple sites for use by hammock campers but that would take piles of cash and labor...both things that are not easy for a fringe group of users to ask of the park system.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    So from the picture on my phone (very small even on a iPhone 6+, it wasn't clear that he wasn't using any sort of tree straps. I understood it was against the rules, but didn't know how else you would hang. Certainly didn't realize that the post was not sturdy to hang from. Second question, is there not plenty of boulders, rock crevices to be able to hang from?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrhoads View Post
    So from the picture on my phone (very small even on a iPhone 6+, it wasn't clear that he wasn't using any sort of tree straps. I understood it was against the rules, but didn't know how else you would hang. Certainly didn't realize that the post was not sturdy to hang from. Second question, is there not plenty of boulders, rock crevices to be able to hang from?

There is not any other spots to hang. I have seen photos from above of the campground in the 30's when the CCC camp was in place and they were building the trail system and other improvements and you would think that they had used a bulldozer. The CG area is void of any rock formations other than a hillside along one side which you can't really get to in most areas of the CG, there are no large rocks, no shade shelters only the trees and small brush. The camp spots are very clearly laid out and you can not camp outside of the CG.

This is what most of the sites look like:

A flat area with a table, ammo can to put your food and smellable items in and a pole to put your pack on. The rodents will chew up anything from packs to boots and as you can't put a line on a food bag to hang the food you are recommended to put all that you might normally bear bag in the ammo can. Then a small dirt area.

As you can not attach anything to the trees and the only "structure" is the pack pole's which were cemented into the ground in the 30's they are not stable to use as a hammock support.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Looks like some paracord on a 3" branch. Not trunk. Branch! Geez...for some reason people breaking the rules is bothering me more and more lately. My wife says shes worried about what I sound like when I'm 70

Apparently he's preparing for WWIII down there too.

I've said it a thousand times, but the popularity of hammocking worries me...it's only a matter of time. Yes, my name is Danny Downer, but I don't like sugar coating.
    I can just see it now. As you are laying in your hammock, "Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Is that thing on the ground? I wonder if they were trying to use it in ground mode. I realize they are still tied to the off limits tree and the PAck hanger which is a no-no, but maybe that was what they were going for. Either that or they were taking the "never hang higher than your willing to fall" to an extreme.
    Last edited by Gordzilla; 12-17-2015 at 22:35.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    It's a shame to see someone do something like this. I know I shouldn't judge but I'd say this person probably care about leave no trace as long as they can do what they want too that's all that matters to them. They will be the one that leaves trash everywhere.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Hey Paul. Thanks for your great explanation of the unique environment of the Grand Canyon. Especially from the perspective of a hammock aficionado. It really is unlike any other place on earth with its own challenges and rewards. If you're planning a trip down into "The Big Ditch" then you should know and follow the rules.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerous View Post
    I've gone to parks before to hang, paid, found there were no decent sites with trees, and left. It's just part of the hanging experience to sometimes have to move on to another location. Unfortunately most parks are laid out with campers and tents in mind. Plan accordingly.

Edit: Hammock stands are a great (and sometimes inexpensive) option. Unfortunately they don't fit on planes.
    Not as a carry-on option, but the Handy Hammock is quite collapsible and can be stowed in your luggage. It's quite portable. It also fits easy in or on the backpack. There are pictures of a Handy Hammock being used on top of Kilimanjaro.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast