Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Now I'm wondering, since the "locked brummel" in first video is not really locked and not really doing much good and possibly weakening cord; then why not skip any and all brummel and while we're at it skip stitching too. You might say continuous loop might pull apart when not loaded. Well splices done like video one have not been coming apart and failing. I'm wondering enough to try it. Your thoughts on this. Would you hang your hammock on this splice with no stitching and no brummels? Have you tried it? Will it work good enough to use? Or even if it "worked" it would not be durable enough to use on a hike?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Now I'm wondering, since the "locked brummel" in first video is not really locked and not really doing much good and possibly weakening cord; then why not skip any and all brummel and while we're at it skip stitching too. You might say continuous loop might pull apart when not loaded. Well splices done like video one have not been coming apart and failing. I'm wondering enough to try it. Your thoughts on this. Would you hang your hammock on this splice with no stitching and no brummels? Have you tried it? Will it work good enough to use? Or even if it "worked" it would not be durable enough to use on a hike?
    I've done CLs like you describe and they work fine. I do worry that I might get lazy and not check them often enough for slippage/creeping. Going forward, I'd want just a bit of insurance that the buries are not going to creep when unloaded or jostled.

If not heatshrink, then I would out a couple of quick stitches between the starts of the buries and bury the tails of the thread. I'm going for the clean look of heatshrink like on the CLs that originally came on my XLC (WB/AHE buckles) to be for sure for sure.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I tried CL with no brummel and no stitching no heat shrink--and you are right--there was some creep and each time cycle of load unload load--AmSteel began slipping loose and there was a gap with two cords instead of a neat splice. Happy New Year!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345