DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    I used velcro on some early tarps with very little luck, The snaps that are standard on all WD seem to have much better results keeping the doors closed. Plus they are a lighter option than full length velcro closures.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    SILPOLY, that option alone would seem reason enough to me.

Maybe I'm missing something but the WD could easily be pitched with the doors overlapped just like the venerable SF, but the SF cannot be pitched like the WD without modification.

I have neither but have seen both, I do find my hangar 12 to be a fine piece of gear.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have both tarps, or I should say my wife does. They are both fine tarps. Her WD is 12 ft. and is cavernous. She loves it. I am partial to neither. I would feel very good about being in the woods with either. Features are something very individual. I try to imagine the tarp user, me or others and under what circumstances. Backpacking, paddling, car camping, etc. Need for or desire for privacy, time of year, fiddle factor, looks, color, coverage, weather, rain, wind, ice, snow, use as a cooking and protection area, all this stuff matters. Like canoes, tarps all have something that is compromised to get something else. Coverage and weight being an example. I just look at it and pick one for the next trip. You know you will need more than one eventually.

I have been hanging for eight years and I have 7 rainfly options. I use a simple diamond claytor when I want to be minimalist in my canoe in the summer. Full fledged coverage, cooking area and wind protection in winter. Good luck with the decision, just know you won't go wrong with either option. A few years, you will likely have a different one.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Having multiple tools can make the job easier. And I have to agree that it would be hard to go wrong with the purchase of either. SilPoly's attribute of not absorbing H2O would seem to make that material a far superior choice between the 2 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I have both tarps, or I should say my wife does. They are both fine tarps. Her WD is 12 ft. and is cavernous. She loves it. I am partial to neither. I would feel very good about being in the woods with either. Features are something very individual. I try to imagine the tarp user, me or others and under what circumstances. Backpacking, paddling, car camping, etc. Need for or desire for privacy, time of year, fiddle factor, looks, color, coverage, weather, rain, wind, ice, snow, use as a cooking and protection area, all this stuff matters. Like canoes, tarps all have something that is compromised to get something else. Coverage and weight being an example. I just look at it and pick one for the next trip. You know you will need more than one eventually.

I have been hanging for eight years and I have 7 rainfly options. I use a simple diamond claytor when I want to be minimalist in my canoe in the summer. Full fledged coverage, cooking area and wind protection in winter. Good luck with the decision, just know you won't go wrong with either option. A few years, you will likely have a different one.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    So glad this thread came up! My wife wants a tarp with doors and the WD offers a lot of options! I'd love to see more pictures of them! Especially the different pole mod options.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    I used velcro on some early tarps with very little luck, The snaps that are standard on all WD seem to have much better results keeping the doors closed. Plus they are a lighter option than full length velcro closures.
    Good to know. I'm going through my tarps and figuring out what features work best for me. Then I'll get a new one . Still I have problems letting go of the other ones, five to date. Each has their use from options to lending out without fear of it being ruined.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I'm curious about the silpoly material. Have there been tests done to see how durable it is? I know silnylon has been around a while. I only have experience with the silnylon, but I don't see a whole lot of stretch when wet. Other factors, such as setup, no shock cord tensioners,prussic knots, etc. could play a role in a drooping tarp. As for silnyon and the durability of the Superfly, here is a testament to the effectiveness of both. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Super-Durable!

It's nice to know, at least mine should last a while.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I'm curious about the silpoly material. Have there been tests done to see how durable it is? I know silnylon has been around a while. I only have experience with the silnylon, but I don't see a whole lot of stretch when wet. Other factors, such as setup, no shock cord tensioners,prussic knots, etc. could play a role in a drooping tarp. As for silnyon and the durability of the Superfly, here is a testament to the effectiveness of both. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Super-Durable!

It's nice to know, at least mine should last a while.
    From what I hear, the nylon is a smidgen stronger. UGQ says poly is the future! But I agree, there are a whole lot of silnylon tarps and rainflies out there that are working just fine and will last a good long time.

That said, when I order my next tarp or two, pretty sure I'm going silpoly. And, because I want to pick the colors, I think that narrows down who's getting my tarp orders.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    I'll just chime in on a few items above for some clarification. First all our tarps use a double stitched perimeter tape that is then binding into the ridge seam. The ridge seam is triple stitched for strength and we've had no reported failures. At the side wall to ridge connection there are tremendous forces at play and there have been several reported failure at this point with some brands. The addition of the edge tape and binding it into the ridge provides for a solid connection not relaying on the fabric but on the much stronger tape.

The main cat cut on both WD11/WD12 is 3 1/2" deep, pretty darn shallow and it is very effective at a tight pitch, this provides for roughly 109" coverage at the narrowest point of the tarp. The edge tape is continuous on all sides of the tarp and the door snaps are installed in the tape, no reported fail of snaps but we did have one tarp 3 yrs ago pull the edge tape off. it was inspected and discovered the tarp fabric was not fully seated in the tape This was when we manually applied edge tape, we now apply with a binding attachment and a double stitch allowing for a fully seated fabric to tape connection. Lots of guides are used to provide for a consistent application of the tape and the double stitch. Anyone who has seem the edge stitching will tell you it is incredibly accurate.

The tape also allows for a better distribution of guy out force through the tarp in our opinion. By transferring the forces down the tape and then into the tarp body fabric over the length of the edge the forces are more evenly applied. Overall result is a tighter pitch and less concentrated force in the guy out areas. We also offer SilPoly which will most likely start to replace SilNylon in the next few seasons. It's a better fabric in the long haul and don't be surprised if you see fewer and fewer SilNylon options over the next few years. And lets not forget about color, color, color.... Many choices in both SilNylon and SilPoly as well as some great looking camo patterns in SilPoly.

I guess at last count we have 500-600 WD out there, far less than the number of WBSF, which is a fine tarp as well, we just do a few things different. Each tarp we make is your tarp, we don't pull it off the shelf and ship it. That's not our business model as we want you to have what you want and not what we think you want. Nothing like showing up at a hang and seeing another 20 tarps EXACTLY like yours.... I prefer to be a little different....
    thanks for chiming in!! I appreciate it! great to hear detailed explanations of the details. they really make a difference.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I thought someone commented on a center D ring along the ridge line. This is one option I will request when buying a new tarp. I have a 10x10 OES purchased used which has become my go to winter tarp for either short hikes or car camping. Notice in the pictures the differences in the set up. The center pull really helps take pressure off the forces pulling the tarp down in the middle. It also allows me to use the center side wall pull outs distributing the weight to the ridge line and a better lift. Compare the OES to a SF. There are a few more pictures in my gallery with this tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234