DIY 1.4 PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Mac Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Diy Mac Cat clone

Hello all, after several months of stalking the forums I decided I needed to get an account. I'm sorry if this has been covered else where but I couldn't find any information on this. I am planning on attempting to make a clone of the Mac cat tarp standard where I got the instructions via Chicky on the forums. My question is on the hems for the edge of the tarp instead of folding 1 inch grosgain and thread injecting it to "border" the tarp, what if I took 1/4 grosgain and thread- injected it to the fabric then rolled it much like you do for the 1/2 webbing on bridge hammocks? Would that be easier? Would it be stronger or weaker and most importantly would it save a noticeable amount of weight?

Thank you for all of your time and knowledge!

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    If I understand correctly what you are suggesting, yes, it would be stronger (versus no grosgrain at all), and slightly lighter (versus 1" grosgrain). As to your comment about injecting the .25" grosgrain on the raw edge then folding it over, causes me wonder why you'd want to do it. A rolled hem on the edges has proven to be sufficiently strong enough without adding any additional weight to the tarp. However, if you're doing it for "produceability" considerations (e.g., it's easier than doing a rolled hem), I'd highly recommend just practicing the rolled hem until you get it down--especially since it is something you'll use quite often when MYOG. It's is just a matter of finding the knack on how to do it. Once you've got that down, it is smooth sailing from there. There are many videos out there of how to do a rolled hem that might help.

Hammock
    DIY 1.4 PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Mac Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Thank you

Thank you for replying FLScouthanger to the thread! No I completely understand how to produce a rolled hem, my main concern is durability and my ability to roll and even hem along the cat curves of the tarp. I know that the grosgain will add weight to the tarp over all but I think that it will be justified for the sake of durability? If I do decide to go with no grosgrain does anyone have any advice on rolled hems for cat curves?

• + New Posts