Insulation
    Costco Quilts

My first hammock - Tablecloth with Knotty Mods

After playing around with some various sewing projects...Hammock pillows, Costco Underquilt, Costco Topquilt, Tyvek Stuff sack etc, I finally got around to trying my first Hammock (I use a Grand Trunk w/bug net right now). This hammock is for my daughter so I went with a pink/black theme. I opted for sewn end channels (doubled 3" over, 3 sewn lines). I copied the sizing from my Grand Trunk as I have had no issues and it has seemed strong enough.
    image(4).jpg

I didn't have any Grosgrain for the Knotty Mod loops so I took some Ribbon, made a quick tool from a piece of beer bottle (Coors Light, Bud or even an import bottle would probably work as well). I used a beer bottle because I had a piece and the material is slightly heavier than a soda can. As I don't drink I can't be picky about my material selection...
    image(9).jpg

image(10).jpg

image(8).jpg

I made the ribbon by folding over a piece of 3/4" ribbon and sewing it (Pink ribbon, black thread) and then did a fancy stitch down the length of the ribbon and another seam on the far side. It isn't perfect but in short pieces looks pretty good! I whipped one end of the 1/8" shock cord and use a cord lock on the other end.
    image(6).jpg

image(3).jpg

The finished hammock layed out:
    image(7).jpg

And suspended from some chairs, using a quick loop of 550 paracord:
    image(2).jpg

It was 1:30 a.m. when I finished so I didn't take it out to test it...I had tested it prior to the knotty mod and still need to figure out the suspension...ridge-line and better continuous loops. Hanging it from my tripod stands is tough without some suspension...should be fun figuring that part out so my daughter can set it up herself without any trouble.

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Very resourceful on the binding tool! Looks like it works quite well! Great job on the hammock--I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it!

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    Very resourceful on the binding tool! Looks like it works quite well! Great job on the hammock--I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it!
    Thanks...the binding tool was easy...took the idea from another thread on here. Thinking about a similar one for the 3" fold...that was the hardest part of the build.

If your daughter is not a hanger, she will be once she gets that hammock. Looks very good. I'm attempting to make my first hammock, and I will be using the table cloth. Thanks for instructions on the knotty mod.

• + New Posts