Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Winter Hang Noob Questions

Last year I started backpacking and because of Shug and HF I went the hammock route. Made it out for three trips last year and am interested in a snowy winter hike and hang but I have a few questions.
    1.) will I be warm enough with this: jarbridge 3/4 3 season UQ, 30 down Sierra Designs top quilt? Should I bring a ccf pad and sleeping bag too? What should I wear?
    2.) Any tips on hiking a trail in the snow?
    3.) Water tips? We live in Central OH and was thinking Mohican or zaleski.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by toddseimer; 12-23-2015 at 10:40.

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Hello Toddseimer,

There are so many factors that go into staying warm(hydration, metabolism,etc), but based on the gear list you have given , I think winter might be pushing it. I'm not that familiar with the Jarbridge UQ, but if it is three season I guessing it could get you down to 20-25. If you supplemented that with a ccf pad, you could go a little lower. As far as top insulation goes, if you sleeping bag is rated for winter (0*-15*) you could just take that until you could get a lower rated quilt.

As far as winter hiking goes, personally I usually just take it a little slower in snow, as I would normally. If your worried about traction, there is a product called yaktrax (don't know if I spelled that right) that go around your existing footwear for more traction. Most importantly for me in winter, is to have a good layering system to hike in.

As I'm from the Dayton area myself, there is a group of us from from Ohio that are trying to get a trip planned for January, maybe at Zaleski. I'm would be more than happy to show you my winter setup and let you try some things out if you could make it out as I'm sure others would be to. Well I'm rambling on now but I hope I could help you out a little

Java

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddseimer View Post
    Last year I started backpacking and because of Shug and HF I went the hammock route. Made it out for three trips last year and am interested in a snowy winter hike and hang but I have a few questions.
    1.) will I be warm enough with this: jarbridge 3/4 3 season UQ, 30 down Sierra Designs top quilt? Should I bring a ccf pad and sleeping bag too? What should I wear?
    2.) Any tips on hiking a trail in the snow?
    3.) Water tips? We live in Central OH and was thinking Mohican or zaleski.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't think you will be warm enough with that gear. Bring the pad. Test in backyard or close to home to be sure and have a bail-out plan.
    Hiking in snow?.....snowshoes and/or microspikes for grip. Otherwise, enjoy post-holing. Wear good winter boots.
    Water....plan to melt snow unless you have running water near camp that you can access.
    Some Winter Tips....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...o-W6qquKQdK35e
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    spend a lot of time with godfather shug on this; there's tons of material there. he's a polar bear.

is your pad full length?

sv-

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    DO NOT go anywhere until you have tested your setup in the cold or temps you'll be in on the trail.
    Having a miscalculation in the cold will not be pleasant

Test test test next to a bail out as 30* is the best I can say your safe for but you need to confirm what your safe limits are.
    For what to wear all I would say is do some day hikes and develop a idea of what works what does not for you
    Use Shug's vids as a great understanding of what you can do but not hold them as gospel cause you may find something that works better for you.
    Other winter info
    http://lureofthenorth.com/ These guys live winter
    http://wintertrekking.com/ Great info about gear and the more forums about enjoying winter

Live Learn and most of all get out there and ENJOY
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I can not stress the TEST enough. It took me one full winter season to get comfortable hanging in minus temps, and I am used to the cold. Keep a good hot fire going, if you do need to bail out you will want to get warm first.
    I tested my JRB MW4 in my backyard for months before I felt secure enough about overnighting in the woods during the winter. It is a 0°c rated UQ, but I have pushed it down to around -32°c comfortably ( mostly due to the stellar sleeping bag I have).
    My first overnight trip was a bail out, so don t get discouraged if that happens. Do some research on your gear, or maybe some warmer gear that could help you conquer the envelope.
    Also, for me I find if I sleep bare foot my feet stay warmer. This could vary person to person. I also eat before bed.
    Don't give up!!!

Snide.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Not much else to add except to reinforce the TEST TEST TEST idea. You need to get in your backyard or local park and see where your tolerances are.
    I, like many hangers here, are winter campers and are good at being out in the extreme cold. Why.. because of practice, testing, and knowing our limits.
    Are you a cold or warm sleeper. A 30* quilt would not work for me as I sleep cold.
    Start by doing your homework.. this is a great place to start. Build up your kit and go use it. You will find that some stuff works better than other stuff and there will be gear that you absolutely need and don't need.
    Do not just do what other people do.. we are all different in the way we set up, gear we use to keep us warm, dry, and comfortable. Build a kit for you.
    Did we mention Test it out.
    Last thing.. don't go alone your first couple times.. maybe ever... Having a buddy there to help, bounce ideas off of, and keep you company (watch out for each other) is a real good thing.
    A great way to break into winter hammock camping is to go to a local winter hang. See if there is one in your area and check it out.. even if you just head up for the day. You will learn a ton there.
    Hope that helps.. dang that was a lot for having nothing else to add.
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

• + New Posts