DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    no newzy...i did no pee myself lol
    Knotty as for the lay f the hammock...i think that is more me than anything...like i said it's the first time since i messed my back up that i went out ...i have a hard time getting relaxed even at home so i'm not ruling that out
    BB58 i can't wrap my head around it either...maybe i'm that 1% that the SS does not work well for dunno
    the system is brand new this is it's first use i did go online and watch a few vids to see if i was setting it up wrong and seems i'm doing everything to the T
    the space blanket i am using is a sportsman blanket it's alittle more durable than the cheap ones...i cut it down to fit right over the under pad

well i will try it again thursday night and see if there is any change
    temps will be in the low 40's again so the conditions will be the same
    so i will let ya's know friday how it went lol
    i will also take pics this time
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images

ss

About a week ago, I was out with my kids in the northern woods. One of the HH's had a new SS w/heatsheet. Temps in the mid-thirties. It was humid the first night. There was a fair amount condensation and the pad did get wet on the bottom side. However, my daughter stayed toasty warm. Pad dried out very quickly.

The second night was less humid and there was less condensation in the morning.

I'm curious to see if this changes with different users and conditions.

The hammock seemed to lay fine once there was a little weight in it.

I don't know if you can see how it lays from the pic or not.

Randy

DSC04798.jpg
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I used a pad and my under quilt at the Northern Hang #2 and I got condensation on the pad. When I went out this weekend with comparable temps I just used the pad for my feet and my Yeti 3 season by itself for the torso. This was much better and I stayed plenty warm. The advantage this time was no condensation issues but I did have little bit of frost on the outer shell of my top quilt and on my BBO top cover. Under quilts are the way to go for bottom insulation.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Just got done repacking my tarp and HH into there snake skins was letting them air out in the basement...while i was down there i went over the ss again...just to make sure...looks right...it can only go on one way if u think about it...door is only on the one side...and if you flip it inside out...the side tie out holes will not line up...so it's got to be right...one thing i see is the door on the ss bottom seems to goto the one side to the right if you are facing it.....it's not lined up with the door on the HH
    and i think the reason i think the hammock is laying different could be the center line in the ss bottom seems to ride high.
    so that could be why it feels off...dunno...like i said i will try again this weekend..
    Last edited by G.L.P.; 11-16-2009 at 23:57.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin'Yankee View Post
    About a week ago, I was out with my kids in the northern woods. One of the HH's had a new SS w/heatsheet. Temps in the mid-thirties. It was humid the first night. There was a fair amount condensation and the pad did get wet on the bottom side. However, my daughter stayed toasty warm. Pad dried out very quickly.

The second night was less humid and there was less condensation in the morning.

I'm curious to see if this changes with different users and conditions.

The hammock seemed to lay fine once there was a little weight in it.

I don't know if you can see how it lays from the pic or not.

Randy

DSC04798.jpg
    thanks for the pic...i will see if my wife will take one of me in mine to see if it looks right...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Yeah, you're right about the opening. It's not a perfect match. Mine also rides to the high side. I believe that's so there is room for the underpad.
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The SS opening always rides up and usually to one side when the hammock is empty. There's a bungee surrounding the perimeter of the opening that keeps it from gapping when the hammock is occupied and it causes the riding up when empty.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    (...) another think that i picked up on was the way the hammock lays with the ss on it...dunno...i could not get relaxed at all (...)
    I think i understand what you mean.
    Since Im a short dude, the diagonal lay I was able to get without the SS was great, pretty flat and comfortable, and made that expedition asym look huge, making the little HH a pretty cozy place!
    But since using the SS i cant really lay that same way as before because my left shoulder and specially my feet would not be properly covered by the Underpad, so to solve this I have to lay almost as banana-like as in my Clark Jungle (in which i can achieve some decent diagonal lay but not really comfrotable). The undercover also produces this weird effect which makes the HH feel smaller one you are inside, but i think its just that, a visual effect.

Still, this is only a matter of comfort for me, not of functionality. I have had no unusual condensation issues.

IMO (just to figure out what your problem was) you should try with a new, full sized spaceblanket... maybe you trimmed the one you are using too precise and it might no be covering properly once you hop in.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 11-18-2009 at 19:18.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Maybe a squirrel used the hammock as an upscale latrine?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    ok looks like friday night it is for my 2nd try with the SS temps will be in the mid 30's alittle colder than last time with no rain....and i'm going to use a cheap $2 EB for the VB and see if that helps...
    if this doesn't work i think it's time to try a different setup

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast