Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    I’m new to the hammock scene, so I don’t have “experience” to pass on. I do have a HH and SS, and though I haven’t been down to freezing temps yet, it’s been suitable for me the few times it’s been used so far (mid 40’s) with just the pad and no space blanket (sb). I admit it is more awkward than I would like using the bottom entry/exit with the SS and pad set up, but that will be solved when I get it back from ZQ with the #2 mod (maybe today).

I have yet to get an opportunity to experiment with different pads, insulation and sb, but will do so soon. I am curious though, about how is the best way to use a sb (maybe this is discussed in another thread so I’ll look around). If anyone has any tips/ideas/links, it would be appreciated.

I’m not meaning to hijack this thread if it appears so. It seems this thread is a discussion on the merits of the SS and the use of it, and I thought I’d chime in. If needed, I’ll be glad to start a new thread or move to another existing thread, if there is a more appropriate one.
    For me, that space blanket is essential to keep your body's insensible moisture from condensing in the water proof UC. I have used it without the SB a time or two without condensation, but the foot of the pad got soaked one time. So I just leave the SB on the pad ( a heatsheet is best).

However, the above has not helped greenlespaul at all, so YMMV. Although, it looks like you are off to a better start already, even with out the SB. Do a search and you can find volumes(in addition to this thread) about using the space blanket/vapor barrier or sb/vb. Also search for Super Shelter (or SS, or HHSS), and search tags.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Not sure if this can actually be the reason for the SS not working in this case, but from the pictures (first and second one), i think its evident that you placed the glove hooks on the rope way too far.

I placed them just where the black endcovers end. To be more clear on this, i believe the glove hook included on the SS (since Nov 2006) should be placed where the tarp hook is on the second picture ( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...9&d=1258760992 ), not as far as its shown there.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Originaly the first time i used it i did have them down by the whip...i moved them up toget the pad to sit high up so it's against my back and not being crushed by my weight

i just feel at this point i tested it in temps of 45 and 29 and both times i got wet and cold...and was never Warm to start i was never super cold but could never get warm my top would be warm and my bottom cold

that and i'm just not liking the HH lay anymore...i think this is because my back due to this i'm holding off on a bridge hammock and i'm going to try the speer i got in a trade and see if there is any change in condensation and warmth and take it from there...i don't wanna dump more money on something that is just not working for me anymore
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    ........ i'm holding off on a bridge hammock and i'm going to try the speer i got in a trade and see if there is any change in condensation and warmth and take it from there...i don't wanna dump more money on something that is just not working for me anymore
    What is your plan to keep your back warm in the Speer?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I guess i will try a pad...than my JRB qult and use my old sleeping bag as a top quilt
    see how that works out...if that doesn't work out than i guess i got to rethink the use of a hammock for hiking...
    it's funny because befor my accident i could sleep in one fine...now i can't
    i just can't fall asleep...and the SS did not help at all

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i just wanted to add don't overlook this system because it did not work for me..not everything is for everyone so don't overlook the super shelter because it didn't work for me...just felt i should add that to this post..

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    For me, that space blanket is essential to keep your body's insensible moisture from condensing in the water proof UC. I have used it without the SB a time or two without condensation, but the foot of the pad got soaked one time. So I just leave the SB on the pad ( a heatsheet is best).

However, the above has not helped greenlespaul at all, so YMMV. Although, it looks like you are off to a better start already, even with out the SB. Do a search and you can find volumes(in addition to this thread) about using the space blanket/vapor barrier or sb/vb. Also search for Super Shelter (or SS, or HHSS), and search tags.

Thanks BB58. I'll check around for the info.
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    i just wanted to add don't overlook this system because it did not work for me..not everything is for everyone so don't overlook the super shelter because it didn't work for me...just felt i should add that to this post..
    True enough, and the SS has not worked for a few folks. While there are more than a few who really like them. Some folks are happy with pads, while I think more people hate pads than hate SSs. And we just had one guy that could not make a Pea Pod work for him, though that might have been more of a hammock issue than pod issue, or at least pod with specific hammock issue. Let's face it, at least to a degree, it's dif strokes for dif folks.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Oh i agree 120% BB58...it is...and that why i felt i should post the last post i know many ppl that this system worked well for...just not me...
    and i feel ppl should not look at it as a red flag for the setup...cause it could work for them

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234