Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
I’m new to the hammock scene, so I don’t have “experience” to pass on. I do have a HH and SS, and though I haven’t been down to freezing temps yet, it’s been suitable for me the few times it’s been used so far (mid 40’s) with just the pad and no space blanket (sb). I admit it is more awkward than I would like using the bottom entry/exit with the SS and pad set up, but that will be solved when I get it back from ZQ with the #2 mod (maybe today).

I have yet to get an opportunity to experiment with different pads, insulation and sb, but will do so soon. I am curious though, about how is the best way to use a sb (maybe this is discussed in another thread so I’ll look around). If anyone has any tips/ideas/links, it would be appreciated.

I’m not meaning to hijack this thread if it appears so. It seems this thread is a discussion on the merits of the SS and the use of it, and I thought I’d chime in. If needed, I’ll be glad to start a new thread or move to another existing thread, if there is a more appropriate one.
For me, that space blanket is essential to keep your body's insensible moisture from condensing in the water proof UC. I have used it without the SB a time or two without condensation, but the foot of the pad got soaked one time. So I just leave the SB on the pad ( a heatsheet is best).

However, the above has not helped greenlespaul at all, so YMMV. Although, it looks like you are off to a better start already, even with out the SB. Do a search and you can find volumes(in addition to this thread) about using the space blanket/vapor barrier or sb/vb. Also search for Super Shelter (or SS, or HHSS), and search tags.