Dutch 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ 0 / HG TQ 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Asymmetrical Underquilt

I bought an incubator 20 and am going out in it's first real test next week. I was doing a little thinking about sleeping diagonally in a rectangular under quilt. Has anyone made one with asymmetrical cuts to cover more on the high sides (shoulders on head side and knees on foot side). Is that what an over quilt is for?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I have asked this before. I was presented links to what others have done. Dont remember now where that is.

What iwill say is that although I do diy and will be doing a synthetic uq soon, I would not make a down quilt. Top or bottom at this point.

Having said that I have applied our thinking to how I utilize my current ugq zepplin. Its only 3/4 and I am 6 1. So it has taken me some time to lock in my adjustments and get the most of my gear. Although I do not have 2 trees atmy house to test gear, I do have a garage with many hammock hooks. I have tested many ways and discovered making my current uq asym gets me the most coverage. I use the long shock cord attached to head and foot of the hammock. Mine also came with extra shock cord attached to both sides to pull it towards each side and of course the cinch cord at head and foot. The key for me was to use the extra cord only on my head and foot side thus pulling it diagnal. This way only a small part of my left shoulder and the heals of my feet are exposed. The should is solved with either my tq or a shirt. The feetare fine for me. My tq does well and if needed I can put a pad.

And I think you ment underquilt protector or a hammock sock?

Uqp can help with that but is mainly there to cut wind or keep the quilt dryer. A sock covers everything and helps keep warm air fro escaping from all around.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ 0 / HG TQ 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I meant do you just tuck the under quilt under your shoulders so it doesn't matter. I have and will be using a sock on the upcoming trip as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seangie View Post
    I bought an incubator 20 and am going out in it's first real test next week. I was doing a little thinking about sleeping diagonally in a rectangular under quilt. Has anyone made one with asymmetrical cuts to cover more on the high sides (shoulders on head side and knees on foot side). Is that what an over quilt is for?
    I'm a relative new comer. Have only been doing this about 3 years so take my answers/opinions with a grain of salt, but I'll offer this:
    1. Yes. I believe the Warbonnet Yeti has an assymetric cut to the left shoulder.
    2. Watch the video on Youtube by Shugemery on underquilts. He does a really nice job showing how to adjust the underquilt. By making the suspension tighter on two corners and "looser" (relatively you still want it tight enough so you don't have gaps) on the other two corners, the rectangular underquilt will shift with you as you lay on the diagonal.

I don't have that problem. The elastic on the ends allows the uq to shift with me.

Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Looking forward to hearing how your test went. I bought an incubator 20 as well, and will have to wait patiently for the next few weeks to a month go buy before I will get mine and can take it out for my own test. I am super excited about getting it. Saving up for a TQ next. What are you using for a TQ?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seangie View Post
    The main suspension of your quilt is elastic. It was designed this way so that the quilt floats under you and follows your body and its curves, whether you're diagonal or not.
    On the foot end, it works best to put the quilt suspension over your footbox. This allows the quilt to seal well around your calf/legs curve. The head and foot endchannels need to be snug, but do not overtighten them, you are just creating a seal against drafts.

You can fiddle with this on your own. Hop in the hammock, look/feel for gaps, exit hammock, adjust..repeat as needed. Once its dialed in , snug everywhere, you are done.
    Or have a friend adjust the quilt while you are laying in the hammock.

Your body is not asym, it is a rectangle, more or less.. You are laying asym for comfort in the hammock and insulating the rectangle of your body. The elastic will shift to follow you.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts