I've already mentioned a couple of nighttime , in camp, stories but they were not my best uninvited encounters. One of my worst/best encounters was in about 89/90 and we were working in a remote area on the bc coast, east of Powell river up the Powell ,Daniels valleys. I was on a cut block, very steep, checking the crews work when i heard a rushing in the bush uphill from me. It was a juvenile black bear charging right at me. I had no where to go and only a second or two so i got big on a stump and returned the favor. He stopped right in his tracks swinging his head back and forth like he'd run out of program, and then he took off and harassed the crew. I felt like i had lost 6 months of my life with that encounter. The next day i had to go up another drainage and was working below the road when i felt eyes on the back of my head. I got nervous cause i rarely feel that . There was nowhere to go , i finished my work within a few minutes and just as i thought i'm done that feeling of eyes on my neck left. I walked along the bottom area to the hillside where i climbed up a 50 ft to the truck and right there standing 15 feet in front of me was a timber wolf. I quickly crouched down as i didn't want to appear aggressive, i wanted to play. We spent a few moments looking into each others eyes and i realized it was not afraid but curious and so was i . It walked away 10 ft and turned around and we looked again. This happened three or four times and i just soaked up the experience of a beautiful encounter and wondering where my jelly sandwich was, (Never cry wolf- Farley Mowett ). Eventually it went out of sight . I felt life renewed somehow. As a side note i found out yrs later that that wolf group in that coastal area was a totally separate genetic group than all the other wolf packs in North America. They had not had much encounter with humans