Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to start a custom tarp project

I've been shopping for a winter tarp setup, and just haven't found what I need yet. I decided to try making one, and have the materials here now (Xenon sil), but really don't have much idea how to go about it without screwing up a bunch of fabric.

I doodled up a tarp in CAD that I think would fit our needs- to cover 2 hammocks and still have doors that could close off the ends.

I still have a few questions I haven't figured out yet--

1. Cutting tarp panels- What do you use for guides/straightedges. I have the room in the shop to lay it out on floor, but its slippery stuff. Is there a method to make cutting the panels easier? I did pick up a nice roller cutter deal which should help.

2. Sewing the panels- How do you hold them together? Tape, pins, sheer determination? Ive done some small samples that turned out decent, but wrestling such a large amount of fabric will no doubt make this much harder.

Heres a few drawings of what I have planned. Its huge, but should cover our hammocks well, and I think still close off at the ends to help with wind.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    That is quite a tarp! Cutting the material to spec is always tough, I have found on a really large panel there are two ways to do it. Get it laid out and then use weights to hold it in place. Then use/create a long straight edge and a template for your curves. The second option and more precise is to make a pattern. It can take a while to get the pattern made, but once you do it takes the guess work out of cutting and you can always reuse or modify it for future projects.

As far as sewing it, you have a few options there as well. Look into the the flat felled seam and hybrid flat felled seam. Both involve multiple passes, however they both work well for sewing long panels together. Keeping them together can be a challenge. I find that pins slip out of place. With both the flat felled and hybrid seams you can do to them with out pinning, just go slow and keep your panels even. Make sure that you have the correct wrong/right sides together to make sure your seams match. It's easy to have one face up and the other face down if you are not careful.

The biggest thing is to get a plan that you are comfortable with and then take your time. When I first started sewing I would want to go to fast and would make costly mistakes. So resist the urge to hammer down on the pedal.

I hope that helps in some small way.

Hammock
    10.5" DIY 1.0 HyperD Lime Green
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi
    I have been pondering something similar for my Son who double hangs with his girlfriend.

I haven't worked it out yet I'm excited to see how it covers.

As to your question. I've only cut two tarps on sil nylon one sil poly.

First time I did on the floor it was misery.

Second one was cut on a 10 dollar cardboard dressmaker board on my kitchen island tuna cans holding it in place . Went painless.

The straight edge on the board helps allot

Hammock
    DYI 11 Hexon,1.9camo,Argon1.6,12'XL
    Tarp
    Sil Poly,Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I wouldn't put cat cuts on sides. Not needed with Xenon. Lay it on your shop floor weight down corners. Some tape will stick, some won't. Mark with chalk, or sharpie. They have 4 foot metal straight edges at Home Depot. I did a Flat-felled seam on my seams. Take your time. Lets see some pictures when your done.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I wouldn't put cat cuts on sides. Not needed with Xenon. .

I love this guy.

I wasn't looking forward to those cuts, although I did plasmacut (metalworking is my thing, I have a cnc plasmatable here) some guides for the curves. I will gladly omit the fancy curves.

Threw caution to the wind and started my cuts.

I used leftover drywall as a backer- which turned out to be pretty hard on the blade- guess the paper backing is really thin.

All my panels are cut now, just need to start sewing!

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Pin the long edges before you start sewing. If you don’t one is likely to be shorter than the other before you get to the end.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    This is one time you should sew first and cut later.
    As you sew and roll your precut panels, the seams at the ends wont line up. You may need to trim after getting all three panels connected fully. If you haven't started sewing, leave a margin at each end (~2", depending on your seams) and sew the three panels together. When you sew the hems, you will roll the margin into the edge hem or dress the edges with grosgrain.

The other issue is to roll your seams so that they both will point downhill on each side.
    Like a roof's shingle, the downward seams will allow rainwater to flow over smoothly. If they are pointing upwards, they can be pontential leaks, as the rainwater will gather.

You'll be doing a French seam I assume.? And seams sealing can fix most of the leak potential. Its all aesthetical, a good seam will hold whether it is up, down, in or out. Not the end of the world But you probably want your seams on the outside of the tarp and pointing downhill.

First project?? Brave.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post

The other issue is to roll your seams so that they both will point downhill on each side.
    Like a roof's shingle, the downward seams will allow rainwater to flow over smoothly. If they are pointing upwards, they can be pontential leaks, as the rainwater will gather.

First project?? Brave.

Hadn't thought about seam direction yet, good tip.

I did cut panels a bit long, I'm considering taping the seam first- I had considered adhesive spray or glue of some kind, but would probably be too messy. I taped one of the small pieces I tried to sew, and the tape seems to just disappear when its rolled over. Might try a few more samples.

I do plan to use a french seam yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion X View Post
    Make sure that you have the correct wrong/right sides together to make sure your seams match. It's easy to have one face up and the other face down if you are not careful.

I hope that helps in some small way.

The good thing is, the Xenon I got is reversible. My wife checked with Dutch to ensure- as it really looked identical to us. One less way for me to screw up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast