Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

spiders and snakes

hi , im new here and I am trying to convince my wife to go hiking with me. we both agree tents dont cut it , we have tried it. so i suggested hammocks but she is so afraid of snakes and spiders its not even funny anymore. Ive tried to tell her a net will take care of all that. We live in sc just across the nc border so the smokey mntns , linville gorge and uhwarrie and the ap trails are just a few hours away. I survived cancer in 2013, and even though it changed my way of life , I want to do this now. How do i convince my wife that shes safe?

Hammock
    Eno/ table cloth
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    0*Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I live in Clover, SC and I've been using a hammock for a couple years and I've never had a bug, spider or snake get in my hammock. Good luck with your wife. Mine has been out on the last couple trips with me and she absolutely loves it.
    I'm not completely stupid, just "Nucking Futz"

back in the mid 70's I used to take my jeep up to henry's knob.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Soak your wife's hammock in Permethrin. That will take care of any spiders and insects.

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear U/T Q
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ Bling
    What kind of hammock / system will she be using?

Hammock
    11' Dutch, Yukon, ENO, and more
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    multiple setups
    Images
    Hiking poles to knock down the spider webs, bug net on the hammock...never had a snake problem because I make plenty noise with said hiking poles to warn the slithers that I am coming.

Unless your wife steps on the snake danger is pretty much avoided. Read up on the subject and have her do so as well. Check times and temperatures when snakes are likely to be out and about, and the locations they may choose. +1 on both hiking poles for spider webs and Permethrin for cloth items. I do know that sometimes logic does not prevail, but it's at least worth a try. Both snakes and spiders is rare, usually it's one or the other, not both. Good luck. I've two daughters who enjoy outdoors and back country in spite of these issues.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    You may want to start with some day hikes first in some heavy used trails. Get a set of hiking poles to let her feel she has a defensive tool at her ready. Now I would either use a pop up camper or the hammocks (which are allowed) and go to a primitive camp ground. I would suggest GSM Cataloochee camp ground and do some day hikes. If you have another couple that likes to camp and hike ask them along.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/Whoopie
    Images
    Will she sleep in your backyard(?) in the hammock? Might even start there, if possible, so she can bail if she wants - no harm, no foul. Try to do a few overnights with good weather - let her build confidence in the bugnet/permethrin tarp bug defenses and the unlikelihood of snake attack. The more nights in the hammock, the more hooked she'll probably get.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I would get the hammocks and start using them to lounge around while on a day hikes in some high quality places.
    Day hike in, setup the hammocks and chill while eating lunch, then hike back out. Pick some good locations like overloooking the Linvile Gorge or watching the ponies at Grayson Highlands.
    You can then see where it goes from there. I have a sister in law that I don't think will ever join us for similar reasons. It just isn't her cup of tea.

Alternatively, you can camp when it is 30° or less and you won't have a problem with the bugs or snakes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast