Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images

Hammock pattern question

Ok, so I'm about to make a purchase or two to finalize the hammock sewing part of my adventure. I'm feeling so-so confident that it's not too difficult, I've come up with a question I haven't found an answer to

The basic hammock pattern is rectangle, you just sew and fold edges/hems. With these different companies making hammocks, what is the difference in their shape versus what I would be making? Or is it the same, but with added features....

If I were to buy a hammock right now, the Warbonnet would be my first choice - secondly the split bottom one. The split bottom of course is different, but ow about my first choice - forget that it has a zippered bugnet. I'm assuming I can add a zippered bug net later if I have enough of a hem 1/2".

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The WBBB is a rectangle to start with. Then there is a piece on the side that makes the shelf and the foot box.

The slit on the bottom one is an HH and it too is a rectangle. Many of us have had them modded to sew up the slit and put on a zipper for the bugnet. My HH clone is a retangle with tieouts that are at the left shoulder and the right knew.

So with what you have to start with you can make either.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    What Dutch said; additionally the HH fold (or gather) at the ends is what makes it lay so nicely. Read about the HH Clone and see what you need to do but basically it is a 5 fold at the ends; that;s how mine ended up the most comfortable anyway. A 1/2" or 3/8" rolled hem is all you need on all four sides. You can make allowances for bug nets and weather shields now as well, but adding them to an already built rectangular hammock is pretty straightforward. Adding Omni Tape or a zipper along the two long edges can be done after the hammock is built.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Is there a pattern for the warbonnet - so I can attempt to mimick the footbox and shelf?

Thanks so much for your responses. This forum has helped me visualize what I've never seen or experienced before (except thru pictures and youtube vid's)!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    Is there a pattern for the warbonnet - so I can attempt to mimick the footbox and shelf?

Thanks so much for your responses. This forum has helped me visualize what I've never seen or experienced before (except thru pictures and youtube vid's)!
    Looks like this tread hit a dead end. It's been over a month and you're not getting an answer.
    I have a Blackbird and was kind of looking forward to to see how it's made.
    What I do know is that I love the comfort.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Yeah, I was disappointed. I was hoping to make a clone, but I'm doing a generic one.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    hey trout, don't take it personal! I've never heard of a tutorial for a BB copy. The only guy who knows is Brandon, and he's not talking.
    I got a wide piece of sil, at least 54 wide or wider, if you can find it. 10 feet long or a little longer ( I know jerryw just made his new polyester hammock 11 ft. long.) for starters.
    If you look close at the BB vids, you'll see an extra length of fabric that attaches the bugnet to the body of the hammock, the side tie-outs, the cut of the netting, all play into the overall shape. You'll have to be creative and figure it out...

After building a few hammock..I came to the realization that Brandon is a genius.

For the price, in hindsight, I'd buy one. After countless trips to the store, and fighting my machine and fabric, its easier and cheaper to buy one!! Fun to diy, but cheaper to buy direct sometimes. And alot less hassle!

If this is your first time trying to sew up a hammock, build it slowly, learn how to sew on smaller projects first, (gear bags-pack covers etc,).

Building gear is a hobby, and I've never found a cheap hobby..period. Be it fishing, hunting, hiking, canoeing, woodwork, etc. You name it, its expensive. We build, because its a hobby, not to save money. Its our creation, and we get satisfaction in that. No way that the diy bug is cheap or easy.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Building gear is a hobby, and I've never found a cheap hobby..period. Be it fishing, hunting, hiking, canoeing, woodwork, etc. You name it, its expensive. We build, because its a hobby, not to save money. Its our creation, and we get satisfaction in that. No way that the diy bug is cheap or easy.
    It isn't a hammock, but it is DIY gear to reinforce Gargoyle's assertion that DIY isn't cheap. Even with getting parts at dealer prices, I probably could have bought two pistols for what this cost me...and that doesn't include my time. But, how to do you put a price on knowledge and learning?

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Here's mine

Hey, That's a thing of beauty. Here are mine. One is a 70 series Gold Cup National Match and one is a Kimber Coversion to .22 over a PT1911 Taurus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts