Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    I always found Cuben Fiber to be an awful name. Every single person you talk to assumes you mean carbon fiber. The new name really rolls off the tongue

It sounds like they are trying to convince everyone they have this shiny new thing you've never heard of before.
    So when you see a new product that's more expensive than the old CF stuff you'll think, "ohhhh its got that new DSM stuff in it, I gotta have it"

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    No offense meant, but whoever is doing their marketing must have never gone to school for marketing. They wanna call cuben fiber Dyneema Composite Fabric? What a half-baked marketing concept.
    Not so half-baked if your intent is to build a Brand. Think of how many hard-shells have a GORE-TEX tag attached and how that tag effects your perception of that product. Marketing, Branding, what ever you want to call it. It looks like DSM Dyneema intends to take a niche product and BRAND it for mass market appeal.

With mass market appeal, the price will drop. Remember the first fleece product you purchased? Thirty-five years later that product is likely 1/5th the actual price paid, 1/10th if you account for changing value of the dollar.

Despite the current spike in the price of the product, the efforts of DSM Dyneema will benefit us all in the long run. I wish them luck.
    Last edited by OCDave; 01-08-2016 at 14:31.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Price drops come with patent expiry... or Chinese piracy! (and that will only happen if the market for it expands significantly)
    so when does the patent expire? anyone know?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    "What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet"

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0 degree TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Just ordered a camo Winter Palace from HG.. Glad I did before the price increase.. If there will be one at all..

Improved can mean anything and doesn't have to mean improved to the customer. Sometimes an improved product means easier/cheaper to produce, such as 90% as good, costs half as much to produce and can sell it for 70% of the old price, and make more money. And sometimes it can mean new more expensive machinery, that allows a more consistent product at a tenth the price, but you have to make a lot more of it.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    "What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet"
    How about Koban fabric from Shanghai, made from pure Denyma?

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post

With mass market appeal, the price will drop. Remember the first fleece product you purchased? Thirty-five years later that product is likely 1/5th the actual price paid, 1/10th if you account for changing value of the dollar.

Despite the current spike in the price of the product, the efforts of DSM Dyneema will benefit us all in the long run. I wish them luck.
    I agree with this. If they can build a brand and take it main stream. "Ultralight" is definitely becoming much more important to people and CF is obviously the choice material for that. If they can bring it to the mass market it could drive prices down due toss production. Just hopefully that doesn't drive down quality (although it almost certainly will).

Maybe we can get to a point where there's CF products that are like the mainstream REI type hammock brands (generally lower quality) and then the cottage vendors can still put out the higher quality products at a reduced cost to them (and therefore us)

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    No offense meant, but whoever is doing their marketing must have never gone to school for marketing. They wanna call cuben fiber Dyneema Composite Fabric? What a half-baked marketing concept.
    I TOTALLY agree.Dyneema Cloth,Dyneema Line,Rope,Tarp,whatever,gets the job done for those of us who think simpler is better and easier to remember.I always thought Cuben Fiber was a poor description of that expensive tarp I bought btw but I do like the weight savings and no seams to deal with is a huge plus.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123