Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Insulation
    Costco Quilts

How to - make your own triangle thingies

I read a lot about using the triangle thingies but could find a thread on making them. This is how I did it...hope it helps...

Materials:

Ripstop 10&3/8" x18" (for 2 12" triangles)
    5/8" grosgrain ribbon, about 3 yards
    Polyester thread
    Card stock for a template

image.jpg
    I started by creating a card stock template...I found this was easier than drawing on the fabric. I made an equilateral triangle with 12" sides...anything from 10-12" probably works. I went with 12 because adding fabric is harder than taking it away. I used a cut in mat and a roller cutter along a straight edge over my template
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

After cutting 2 triangles out its time to edge them in grosgrain and create the loops. If you are going to attach a mutton hook you will need to plan ahead. I started in the middle of one side and used my Coors Can jig to fold the grosgrain so I can insert the Ripstop as it sews. Coors aluminum bottles are better than cans, the aluminum is thicker and holds better.
    image.jpg

Sew the ribbon on the edge until you are about 1" past the corner and backstich to lock the thread. Pull the material and ribbon out far enough to form a loop and then slide the previous side into the new side so both are stacked together...4 layers of grosgrain for about 3/4"
    image.jpg

Continue all the way around the triangle. If you want to sew a mitton hook on one corner do that on the last corner then fold the ribbon by hand. I opted for bare loops.

Finished product:
    image.jpg
    And on the hammock (different color)
    image.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone!
    Last edited by tightwad; 01-09-2016 at 13:00. Reason: Corrected material size

Hammock
    11' DIY Double Layer 1.6 oz yd˛
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    20° 3/4 Zepplin
    Suspension
    Whoopie/marlinspik
    Nice job on the triangles! Do they work well? I am in the process of convincing my self its time for a UQ, but have wondered about these thingys. Also, tell me everything about your Aluminum Jig! That thing looks like a phenomenal time saver!

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    They work very well. I previously used a longer T made by putting a cord lock on the shock cord and attaching it over the ridge line to the suspension. This worked but not well and I was concerned about both cord degradation as well as wear on the future bug net. For the $20 Arrowhead charges or the hour it takes me to make them I had the perfect solution.

The jig is wonderful...I have them for 5/8, 7/8 and 1.5 inch widths. I simply cut the bottle open and flattened it (after using top and bottom for a stove)
    image.jpg
    I then cut a rectangle with a width 2x the width of the ribbon and a length of about 4". I rounded the corners off. I used a piece of material the size of the ribbon but 2x the thickness and laid it down in the middle. I folded the two sides over the material then folded everything in 1/2. The ribbon folds in half and naturally divides equally. The Ripstop goes down the center and gets sewn in. The rounded corners help to keep from snagging the ribbon. A bit of blue tape hold it just ahead of the foot and feed dogs.

Not to hijack the thread, those came out really well great job they look professionally made. I just finished this project myself, only I came up with a little bit different solution.

tutorial can be found here

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, those came out really well great job they look professionally made. I just finished this project myself, only I came up with a little bit different solution.

I used Hammonkey's tutorial to make a pair out of lash it. However, I think I'm going to make a pair like tightwad's and compare. Afterall, can I have too many accessories or gear for my hammock?

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post

I saw your design previously and thought about it. I like that the fabric triangle stays even with the ridgeline, I was concerned the line might tend to drift to one side. People also espressed concern about bug net wear, no idea if that would be an issue. I love that there are multiple ways around the block...wish it was less sometimes as I want to try them all!

That's the advantage that my "things" have over the triangles. The triangles are able to slide back and forth, while the little loop i created in the middle before the cord bifricates locks it into place on the ridge line. You can tension either side independently of the other and get the quilt to seat right where you want it while the triangles are able to slide from side to side if tension isnt equal. I added some more pics to that thread demonstrating how they hook up to the ridgeline and quilt.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    i do a homegrown version.

rather than triangles, i use a biner/prussik on the ridge line, and run the suspension through it. i use the prussik to adjust the angle, etc.

works like a charm

sv

Hammock
    Tablecloth (silver)
    Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Also, not to thread hijack, I don't understand why larger items are being used to put tension on the UQ suspension for a better fit. This is what I do and it works perfectly with almost no weight addition. All I do is loosen the cinch cord at the foot end a bit more.

Untitled.jpg

But also, yours look very well made.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiyGuy83 View Post
    Also, not to thread hijack, I don't understand why larger items are being used to put tension on the UQ suspension for a better fit. This is what I do and it works perfectly with almost no weight addition. All I do is loosen the cinch cord at the foot end a bit more.

Untitled.jpg

But also, yours look very well made.
    Thanks! It's starting to feel like I am going into production, with 6 in the family plus scouts, friends etc.

I tried your setup and it seemed to cause a gap about 1/2 way up the quilt where two suspensions setup doesn't

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast