Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Want to love it but can't!

Alright, I have been trying my hammock for about a year now. Hennessy Asym Backpacker Ultralight with a maccat deluxe tarp.

I absolutely love the setup. I do mostly backpacking trips with my MSR hubba tent as I haven't figured out the hammock thing yet. The last time I got to truely try it was car camping with some friends. They set up their tent and I set up my hammock. After which it proceeded to downpoor for the rest of the night. Their tent turned into a pool (crappy tent) and my hammock was amazingly dry, not a drop of water. I love my hammock!!!

Now skip forward to 2:00am. I wake up and feel woozy/just sort of off. I can't get comfortable, I retire to the car and sleep like a baby for the rest of the night.

Every time I try my hammock I get this feeling about half way through the night. I don't understand it. I fall asleep fine, and then wake up feeling weird. I have resolved any comfort issues I have and now fall asleep in like 5 minutes, it's just the not being able to sleep all night thing.

Does anybody else have this issue? I really love my hammock and the setup, ease of use, weight, and amazing storm resistance. If I could only get past this I would be all set. I have a little issue with warmth management and am either too hot or a little chilly which may be contributing. I am going to try setting it up in my house with a nice little underquit and see if that changes anything. But even on nights where I don't wake up due to temperature, I still wake up and have this strange feeling.

UGH, am I alone on this? It really sucks. sorry for the long post.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Motion sickness?

Can you sleep on a cruise ship?

You are most likely setting it up with your head lower than your feet. This causes the blood to run downhill to your cranial noggin space. Try to set it up so that your feet are level or maybe a tad lower than your head.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    You are most likely setting it up with your head lower than your feet. This causes the blood to run downhill to your cranial noggin space. Try to set it up so that your feet are level or maybe a tad lower than your head.
    I was thinking that combined with the motion sickness Raw mentions. You MAY end up with your feet off the end of the hammock if you hang level or with your feet lower, but a small problem compared to what you have.
    With the HH your motion is a bit less than with other types, but maybe try having the elastic cords a bit tighter than normal to reduce movement.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Do you have line tensioners in your side tieouts? I set mine quite tight (fully stretched) because just getting into the hammock and lying on the diagonal pushes the sides out. Insufficient tension on the tieouts would allow some swaying. The suggestion to raise the head end could help, but that could make you tend to slide toward the foot end of the hammock. Maybe try a pillow instead. Or increase your pack load to 60 pounds; you'll sleep for twelve hours after a day on the trail. Good luck.
    David

Images
    Set up in the house is a good idea. This is a unique complaint. Comfort is fine, fall asleep time is fast, just can't stay asleep. Dunno. You have not used it while actually backpacking, when you are really tired after a long hike?

Maybe the above suggestions about motion sickness or head level? Setting up and sleeping in the house would help eliminate variables and help you get used to the different feeling simply by lots of use.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I feel your pain. You're not the only one. Here are a few things that I've realized:

1) I fall asleep on the sofa all the time. It seems like the most comfortable thing in the world at 11 pm, but I wake up a little uncomfortable around 3. Most other people have probably had the same experience. It's like that with hammocks as well. You might not be in quite as good a position as you think you are. Sometimes that's because the hammock isn't set up right (feet too high or low, too tightly or loosely suspended - which shouldn't matter too much on a HH), or there may just be a different style of hammock that is more suited to you.

2) You can be cold or warm and not even realize it. It's amazing how easy it is to sleep when you have the perfect amount of insulation.

3) Sleeping in an arch with every vertebrae suspended takes some getting used to. I usually sleep better on a second or third consecutive night in a hammock than on the first one.

I hope you find your sleep bliss. It's a beautiful thing when it happens. Keep us updated.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I think vitamaltz speaks wisely.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The dizziness makes me think it could be a reaction to chemicals in the fabric.

Have you had this with other products?

Somebody reported a rash after sleeping in their hammock. Not too sure if that was ever resolved.

Maybe washing the hammock could reduce the reaction to chemicals if that is the problem. Somebody on the forums mentioned that they have a dry cleaning business or something very similar or closely related and that all fabrics are treated during manufacture and should be washed before use, especially if you are sensitive to the chemicals. If that rings a bell with the person maybe they could chime in and give a better description of the chemicals.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'm curious if your tarp is too close to the hammock and not allowing in enough fresh air.
    Or its toxic bowel syndrome from camp food. I get that once in a while.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast