Tarp
    Still shopping!
    Insulation
    Nemo Insulated 20R
    Suspension
    DIY webbing

Aspiring hanger from Sacramento!

Hey everyone,

My name's Rodney, and I'm from Sacramento. I done a fair amount of backpacking in my life... mostly in middle school with a friend and his dad, then some after high school, and after a 20-year break, i'm back at it again as work and family commitments allow (which isn't much.) I've been using a Hi-Tec V-Lite 2 tent, sharing quarters with my now 9-year-old son on most hikes. I've been curious about using a hammock for a year or so, and after a few uncomfortable nights on the ground (even after going from 275 to 205 pounds and getting a Nemo 2.5" thick inflatable sleeping pad), I'm very open-minded.

So, this Christmas, my mother-in-law got me a $100 gift card to Bass Pro Shops, and i'm now the proud owner of an ENO double nest. I wanted orange, but I decided to do my part to LNT and got it in khaki. i haven't tried it out yet, but after geeking out on this forum and reading Derek Hansen's book, I'm convinced there's a way to get comfy. Now I'm looking around at my house and trying to find a place where I can string up the hammock to give it a try... I have a pair of 10" diameter trees about 30' apart that I might string a piece of webbing between as a ridge line (with a few fixed-distance anchor points to try out) and see how it goes. Short of putting holes in my interior walls (which I don't want to do just as a test drive!), that's my only option!

I'm a mechanical engineer, so of course I'm also geeking out over the several tree-less hanging solutions discussed on the forum, one of which I'm bound to try on one of my fairly regular car-camping trips to the Nevada desert during the year. I'm thinking i'll build one with 4' tall, 0.75" diameter, .065" wall aluminum tubing. We'll see. The staking dilemma has me scratching my head for an elegant solution as well... I have some concepts in mind that I haven't seen anywhere yet, but I'll continue to let those marinate in my brain and see what materializes...

See you on the forums! Looks like a great community!

-Rodney

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Welcome. There are many options for treeless hanging. Most of us have built at least one turtledog stand. I've also done a single pipe at each end that works well if you have good ground to stake in. Somewhere around here this is a thread on it. Using a 12" piece of pipe and some 12" nails for the anchors. Works well.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Welcome Rodney!!
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Still shopping!
    Insulation
    Nemo Insulated 20R
    Suspension
    DIY webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    Welcome. There are many options for treeless hanging. Most of us have built at least one turtledog stand. I've also done a single pipe at each end that works well if you have good ground to stake in. Somewhere around here this is a thread on it. Using a 12" piece of pipe and some 12" nails for the anchors. Works well.
    Thanks! I think I'll be building a TurtleDog stand.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...urtleDog-stand

-Rodney

• + New Posts