Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    I have had sketchy straps break. The straps were of unknown type and I assumed (poorly) that pretty much any 1" strap would be ok. Luckily it was in backyard testing at heights I was ok falling from.

Hammock
    Equip from Wal Mart
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    RBTR Cinch buckle
    Images
    My PVC Hammock stand let me down.

It was built based on this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Free...Hammock-Stand/

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    None, so far, but I just knocked on wood.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I sewed up a hammock, wrapped the end in paracord, cut off the excess cord, burned the ends....and at the same time burned a hole in the hammock under the knot. Ruined the strength of it. Ripped when I leaned over the side.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Marlin spike hitch dumped me more than once. I tried Dutch buckles for a while, but eventually switched to Dutch Whoopie Hooks.

I also experimented with 1.1 ounce hammocks - after two failed, I dumped 1.1 ounce hammocks and went with something stronger. So far my triple-stitched, channel end tablecloth hammocks have been holding up well.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Robic XL single layer
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Turtle dog stand, completely my fault but a good lesson. Too much swing getting in, and the tapered top rail section buckled. Kind of funny, the metal bending lowered me slowly but surely to the ground. Version 2.0 has a pvc sleeve to slide over the connection point when assembled.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I made a Hennessy clone out of 1.9 military grade ripstop PU coated, I got at a surplus store. I pleated the ends, instead of just gathering them with a channel. Big mistake. Was able to get into it cautiously several times, and thought it was going to be ok. Then, I got into it, and it INSTANTLY snapped off clean at one end against the pleated stitch bunch. It was like a gun shot. No tearing or shredding, just like it was cut off with scissors. Haven't tried to repair it, as it would be pretty short after that.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Images
    I've lost count of how many times I've been dumped on the ground in 13 years of hammocking. I will say that in every single case it was due to operator error and not equipment failure (DIY or otherwise).

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Made a turtledog stand using chainlink toprail. Layer it and looked at the rail arching considerably upward. Well a few movements later I was on the ground and the rail was creased.

Another time my son and I were demonstrating his hammock setup for his scout troup. It was wet. We grabbed a 1/2 stick to use as the spike in a msh. It crushed as he got into it. I grabbed another stick thinking he wasn't on the knot and it crushed. Tried a third one before using my pocket knife as a spike. After that we switched to using biners for spikes.

People who get dumped on a MSH are usually because they hook up one side of the hitch then go to the other side and set up that side and never go back to the original side to make sure that the load is on the knot and hasn't slipped onto the stick when they were setting up. I've made the mistake once. And only once.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast