Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    Alan - how did it turn out?
    It actually worked. However, it's not something I'd use on a permanent basis.

I cut one long piece of AmSteel.

I attached the AmSteel via a lark's head thru the sewn channel of my ENO Singlenest and attached a carabiner to the other end of the AmSteel.

Ran the carabiner end of the suspension line around a tree and back down toward the hammock. Made a clove hitch in the suspension line coming from the hammock a la this video and hooked the carabiner to it.

Ta-da! It held. Did the same for the other end of the hammock then tested it. Held me just fine.

Simple suspension system. The only problem is that it's not very adjustable-friendly...but would work in a pinch.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Alan - wouldn't you adjust at the other end? Just like you would with the other way of wrapping the hammock with rope...

Hammock
    UK Royal Navy 1950´s
    Tarp
    DIY Speer tarp
    Insulation
    slfnfltbl mattress
    Suspension
    toggle & rope
    This sounds like a nice way to make a hammock whitout sewing. It really is kind of the same as the gathered end hammock, isn´t it? Some people instead of passing a cord thru the end´s tunnel and tying the tails to a tree, preffer to thighten the ends and tie them into a fabric ball and then tie the suspension cords, webing, etc, to the hammock beneath the ball.

This seems to be more elegant.

There is another version even simpler. The Easy Hammock Knot 2.0, using a loop of cord or webbing, to make an atachment point for the suspension system.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I

And other guy made the same but with a long bight, to use the same cord as the suspension system.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8EOblkwXM

I have used the ball principle before to tie tarps when they rip around the eyelets, using a little round stone, wonder if that would work to make a hammock, a not so little stone and a lasso (bowline) or a slipknot to tie a rope to the hammock, and a trucker´s hitch to secure the rope to a tree.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Hey Trout! I did a hammock for my daughter over a year ago out of a king size flatsheet. I doubled it over lengthwise and attatched a loop of rope using rayd888's hammock knot 2.0 technique. I was impressed at how secure it was after working it through snuggly. I'm thinkin 36 in continuous loop of amsteel with ring buckles larksheaded would work out nicely with this technique.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    UK Royal Navy 1950´s
    Tarp
    DIY Speer tarp
    Insulation
    slfnfltbl mattress
    Suspension
    toggle & rope
    Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post

I have used the ball principle before to tie tarps when they rip around the eyelets, using a little round stone, wonder if that would work to make a hammock, a not so little stone and a lasso (bowline) or a slipknot to tie a rope to the hammock, and a trucker´s hitch to secure the rope to a tree.

It just came to me, what about putting two round stones, more or less the size of an egg, inside a sleeping bag and using them to be sure the knots at the ends will not slip. The zipper would be tucked inside so not to be damaged. How about that, could work? Not sure how much weight could it stand, though.

About the guy in the video that fell, besides the poor cord choice, is´nt it just like a commercial travel hammock or gathered end?

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Awesome HamMike. I'm surprised this knot hasn't gotten more use on the forum.

The easy knot looks solid enough for small children, but I'm not sure I'd use it at 230 pounds unless it was wrapped twice (which it's not). Good find though.
    Last edited by Trout; 05-24-2010 at 12:17.

Hammock
    UK Royal Navy 1950´s
    Tarp
    DIY Speer tarp
    Insulation
    slfnfltbl mattress
    Suspension
    toggle & rope
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    Awesome HamMike. I'm surprised this knot hasn't gotten more use on the forum.

The easy knot looks solid enough for small children, but I'm not sure I'd use it at 230 pounds unless it was wrapped twice (which it's not). Good find though.

I´ve read the instructions in Jeff´s site for making your own hammock, and he says Ed Speer in his book suggest bending the ends, while he preffers whipping them, although it is a matter of personal preference. Maybe Ed was ussing something simmilar to the Easy Hammock or Easy Hammock 2.0 method.

I, weighting 243 lbs, am a little scared of the whipping alone method, though, and would either use one of the Ray Diaz methods or the whipping method over a bend of sheet with a stone or small stick or steel ring (now that´s an idea!) to keep the sheet from slip thru the whipping.

The suspension could be attached directly to the steel or aluminium ring, but that would inflict more tension to the fabric inside the whipping, and could make it slip thru,than ataching it directly to the hammock below the whipping.

But that could be said also of the Easy Hammock method, at least the first one.

Therefore!

It could be that the safest way could be to use the whipping system over a bend sheet using some object as a backstop, and tying the suspension below the whip, so that if the suspension push the whip, the object will stop it before it runs out of the sheet.

Ta-da! I just discovered the black thread! (Mexican made phrase for when you discovered the obvious, please feel free to susbstitute).

Comments?

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    LOL

There's no way I'm carrying around a rock. Period. I've been around 240 (I'm now 224) recently and have been using the gathered end with a twice wrapped cinch knot and a whipped stitch and it's held well; however, this other know seems like a more refined way of tying off the ends.

Hammock
    UK Royal Navy 1950´s
    Tarp
    DIY Speer tarp
    Insulation
    slfnfltbl mattress
    Suspension
    toggle & rope
    Well, it was just a suggestion to have a little extra safety, LOL.
    It can be a little rock found in the site, or a stick.

By the way, I just saw two videos of guys using sticks as toggles, and look like a very easy and quick detachable setup. I had seen the use of toggles at the whoopieslings page, in the drawing of the camping hammock basics, joining a rope from the hammock to a webbing loop as suspension. These guys use rope instead.

The first guy made a hammock more or less as I suggested, but instead of whipping the ends, makes a lot of square knots to hold the ends , not very nice. I liked the way he used the sticks as toggles for the suspension cords though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO8s1UQLxIw

The second guy made a hammock based in the Easy Hammock 2.0, giving credit to ray888, but used a stick to join togheter the hammock rope loop with a loop at the end of the suspension ropes, in a very simple way. Too simple actually, the stick pass thru the suspension loop and then the whole thing goes thru the hammock loop and the stick keeps it in place. When using webbing or directly over the hammock ends I get how it holds togheter safe, but in this case I don´t know if the stick would not slip, specially if very smooth, like a piece of pipe or a broomstick. Maybe a larks head could be used instead.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT8c6zOqHvc
    Last edited by nailer; 05-30-2010 at 02:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12