SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle

Cold Back With Pad

I bought a Hammock Bliss Sky Bed as part of my never ending (and expensive ) Hammock addiction. Unlike my down UQ which makes my back feel warm almost immediately the 3 Season Self Inflating Pad in the sleeve never seems to warm up my back In both cases I'm wearing a fleece shirt and vest.

Anyone else have the same experience?
    Why does that happen?
    What can be done about it?
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    From what I've read insulation properties are not the same from one to the other. The pad is made to reflect heat from the ground up to your body since its in the air so to say your loosing heat instead of the pad reflecting it.

Hammock
    hammecks
    Tarp
    eno
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    I would say skip the pad and use a down quilt depends on the temps i would say if its below freezing use a 20 quilt or if it gets below that get a 0 quilt i have a 20 deg under quilt with over stuff! never got cold! down to 16 . And i have a 20 deg top quilt But then again im a cold sleeper that makes a big diff.The pad may work for some but in my experiences down is the way to go!Thats just my personal opinion.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Slide some CCF in the mix or go to an underquilt. Under the best of conditions a self inflating pad is better than a regular air mattress but not as good as CCF. The problem is small air circulating currents. The old pads were solid enough to stop most. Ditto down mats. The current practice of punching holes in the foam facilitates the air currents.

All that said air pads are not as good an insulator as CCF. OTOH they are more comfortable. Making a stack combines the best of both worlds.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    What pad???
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    I have Down UQ's. Just wanted to try the Sky Bed with it's built in pad sleeve. Very comfortable straight lie! But seems an air pad alone won't work for insulation.

Topping it with a CCF Pad will keep my back warm, but will the inflatable add and additional value?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    I bought a Hammock Bliss Sky Bed as part of my never ending (and expensive ) Hammock addiction. Unlike my down UQ which makes my back feel warm almost immediately the 3 Season Self Inflating Pad in the sleeve never seems to warm up my back...
    First, I want to thank you and your expensive habit as I bought my first hammock from you. I'm sure there are a few of us who would say that at this point. Is there anyone that hasn't bought from Millergear by now?

I assume you're talking about a std thermarest type pad? Convection does a number on air pads, as they are designed to have the stable temperature of ground on one side. Plus, nothing "warms" you like down. I used a BA Insulated pad for a while in your, I mean my Hennessy, and it worked mostly well, but the air would cool overnite and leave me cold in the wee hours. Have had best luck with 1/2" ccf as far as pads go for warmth. Actually, used an Exped Downmat for a bit and it was the bomb for keeping me warm, but was just too heavy and bulky. Yeah, I think that Explorer you sold me was contagious with your habit.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    ...Topping it with a CCF Pad will keep my back warm, but will the inflatable add and additional value?
    In this case, the insulation is additive. Oh my god, did I just say that?!? Yes, but I do not believe its R-factor of one + the R-factor of the other. They just assist. Still, can go pretty low with CCF, then add the inflatable pad as further shielding from convection and you should be pretty good.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    First, I want to thank you and your expensive habit as I bought my first hammock from you. I'm sure there are a few of us who would say that at this point. Is there anyone that hasn't bought from Millergear by now?

I assume you're talking about a std thermarest type pad? Convection does a number on air pads, as they are designed to have the stable temperature of ground on one side. Plus, nothing "warms" you like down. I used a BA Insulated pad for a while in your, I mean my Hennessy, and it worked mostly well, but the air would cool overnite and leave me cold in the wee hours. Have had best luck with 1/2" ccf as far as pads go for warmth. Actually, used an Exped Downmat for a bit and it was the bomb for keeping me warm, but was just too heavy and bulky. Yeah, I think that Explorer you sold me was contagious with your habit.
    Very happy to spread the addiction! Getting more people infected has really accelerated Hammocking. We have come a long, long way since the early 90's. Started out with struggling to get into a sleeping bag and sliding all over the infamous Target Blue Pad. My 1st "UQ" was a Space Blanket formed to a pattern from Tom Hennsey.

Yes, "R" Values are additive. The question is what is the effective "R" Value of an air mat hung above ground?

Going in a different direction now for winter warmth. Check out my new winter stand:
    Eng Camping.png

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have used the Sky Bed and other hammocks with a Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus pad (r-value 3.4) and have not had CBS. I have used an Exped SynMat 7 UL (r-value supposedly 3.3) indoors on the ground and have woken up shivering. It seems that different pads can perform very differently, although they look the same on paper. ... I sleep super cold, though ...

That said, no pad has produced the same kind of languorous warmth as my down underquilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast