WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Thread Injector - Need Recommendation

Hi all..not sure if this is where this post should be so Mods..if it needs to be moved or removed for that matter, please do.

I'm wanting to get into DIY a little more. I'm wanting to purchase a sewing machine but have no idea what I should be looking for. Not knowing if I'll enjoy it or not, I do not initially want to dump a large amount of money into this just yet.

I do believe there are some features that I should be looking at. I would probably be willing to spend around $150.00 or so.

Can you help a brotha out?

Yakitup

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The advice you will get depends on who you ask.
    If you have an hour or two take a look at this thread. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hread-Injector
    My advise would be avoid newer plastic machines. A good used older machine is often better and stronger. All you need is straight stitch and reverse.
    I have a Pfaff Select 3.0 but its plastic. Its ok for most jobs but it cant handle webbing very well.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I made a vid that might help you

https://youtu.be/M4OXMvUUQh8
    Tacblades

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you look around enough you could easily get a good used machine for less than $50.00 that will do what you need. I would start by asking around your family and friends for a machine that may be gathering dust somewhere. After that check out thrift stores or Craigslist. If you come up empty check out sewing shops.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly HEX
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, SBTQ
    Suspension
    Tree Straps/ WS
    If your willing to wait and look around, you can find a good deal on some of the older (better made) machines. If you just want something now to try out DIY (which we all know will become your addiction), check out the Brother cs6000i. I had an old cheap Singer and it went down. I bought this new Brother machine and absolutely LOVE it! Its computerized so the machine always stops with the needle down. And it will also do automatic button-holes which I never knew I wanted. It comes with a walking foot and a large feed table. Good luck hunting.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featur...rother+cs6000i
    Luke Smith
    "When I consider your heavens, the works of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?" -Psalm 8:3-4

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Ramblinrev has a good starter series of videos plus a good write up on buying a machine. Check out his signature line.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Ramblinrev has a good starter series of videos plus a good write up on buying a machine. Check out his signature line.
    Here's my sig lines.... I echo the older machines as opposed to the new ones, but that is simply my preference for gear making.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Well I finally purchased our first thread injector. I bought an entry level one so my kiddos can try it out and see if they like it. I ended up getting a Singer Talent. It got good reviews on Amazon and I was able to use my gift cards towards the purchase making it only $40.00. We'll see what happens but excited for the whole family to create DIY

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yakitup View Post
    I ended up getting a Singer Talent.
    Well, you can sew your DIY gear with almost any machine. But your Singer Talent is not what I recommend. Look what I bought for 10.50 Euro only.

It's a Singer 216G treadle machine. It's a Rolls Roys compared with your newer machine. I added a motor from another Singer for free. The machine is already serviced, sews perfectly with it's motor, but is not yet ready for a foto show.

I bought still another Singer 215G straight stitch machine for 5 Euro only to get this solid wood subpart.

I will service the Singer 215G too (this is very easy) and sell it in this other treadle cabinett again, make some profit and then I hopefully have all I really wanted for free.

A nice old Singer machine build early 1954 in Karlsruhe/Germany with the following abilities: three needle positions, stepless straight and zig-zag stitching, permanent reverse stitching without pushing a plastic button. Perfect stitch quality and starting speed, very smooth-running and extremely silent. Standard low shank presser feet. Easy to maintain and build for eternity. If I sell it again I make most likely a huge profit.

I believe you didn't end up getting a Singer Talent. I started with a new Toyota Jeans a few months ago and sewing with older machines makes me addicted.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 02-16-2016 at 15:01.

• + New Posts