Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Insulation
    Costco Quilts

Indoor hang for the boys

My sons (14 and 7) wanted to hang their hammocks in their rooms. We used electrical C channel (14 gauge) and the appropriate nuts and square washers to accomplish this. Total cost was under $40 with plenty of C channel left over.
    image.jpg

Closeup of the C channel (we painted it blue):
    image.jpg

5/16 lag bolts (2.5" long) secure the channel to the stud. 3/8" eye bolts go through the square washers and into the nut in the channel. The nut from the eye bolt is used on top to lock it in place. We can adjust them up or down...the picture above has my 7 year old lowered so he can reach the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I like that idea. I've seen lots of ways folks have come up with to hang inside, but I think this beats most of them. With kids, the weight is minimal. But with adults I'd feel better attaching to two or three studs just to spread the load - but this would mean turning the channel horizontal. For lighter loads, I think this is a great idea!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    Chameleon, wbxlc
    Tarp
    Dutch ultralight
    Insulation
    HG 0 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie, webbing
    My son would love this. do you have a pic of just the eye hardware?

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkesari View Post
    My son would love this. do you have a pic of just the eye hardware?
    4" eye bolt, 3/8" threads
    image.jpg

This nut and square washer are available in the electrical section at Lowes/HD
    image.jpg

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    I like that idea. I've seen lots of ways folks have come up with to hang inside, but I think this beats most of them. With kids, the weight is minimal. But with adults I'd feel better attaching to two or three studs just to spread the load - but this would mean turning the channel horizontal. For lighter loads, I think this is a great idea!

-Klauss
    There is no reason you couldn't use a pair running horizontal to bridge multiple studs and then one vertical for adjustment...I am glad we went with 16" as in both cases we ended up needing to adjust them. I got the channel for free but they sell lower profile channel that would work just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post

-Klauss
    My opinion would be to keep C-Clip vertical. Most force is downwards, maybe some more bolts to attach the clip.
    I think horizontal mount would only weaken the construction because you apply the same, or more with adults, downward force. Only on a smaller place.

Edit: Didn't read carefully. I don't know about common construction in the USA.
    I didn't read "studs".
    Here in Holland we use full concrete reinforced walls, so studs is no issue here.
    I understand you want to spread the load to multiple studs.
    Consider this message as non-sent
    Last edited by WimHolland; 01-18-2016 at 05:50.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    Awesome job, very cleaver. Im sure they will enjoy this very much.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    First night down, the boys seemed to sleep good in them. the 7 year old was up early but then he usually is when others want to sleep in on holidays...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Don't see why a single stud wouldn't be adequate. With the load split to 75-200 lbs per attachment point, there's more danger of the hardware pulling out of the hole than there is of the stud breaking. But you do want to make sure you're pre drilling the center of the stud, not near the edge where it can split, whether you're bridging studs or not.
    Granted, I wouldn't try any two-person activities with only one stud (lol?)... If things get a bit wild the big finish might occur simultaneously with the bottom persons back hitting the floor
    Last edited by WalksIn2Trees; 01-19-2016 at 11:42.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    Don't see why a single stud wouldn't be adequate. With the load split to 75-200 lbs per attachment point, there's more danger of the hardware pulling out of the hole than there is of the stud breaking. But you do want to make sure you're pre drilling the center of the stud, not near the edge where it can split, whether you're bridging studs or not.
    I wasn't too concerned about the single stud not supporting it, especially when the load is spread along the 16" length as well. We used a stud finder to find the stud and then small nails to determine the edges. Predrilled the hole and lagged it in, I would trust them without concern.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast