Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The horizontal pull on the tripod is almost equal to your weight. The horizontal pole takes that force in compression, with zero horizontal force on the tripods (or bipods) The only force on the tripod will be half of your weight. The turtle dog stand is inexpensive, light, not bulky and as stated earlier, an object lesson for scouts in improvisation in the field. The tripod poles can be 1" bamboo poles, or 2x4. The horizontal brace needs to be somewhat stronger. and the fence rail suggested by the turtle lady looks good, and is fairly light and packable.

Morew details
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=stand
    Last edited by PDA123; 02-01-2016 at 14:33. Reason: link

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles

Quote Originally Posted by robhix View Post
    Good Evening Fellow Hangers,

I got my hammock a little over two years ago and I have only slept in it once due to issues with not having trees where I normally camp (Boy Scout Camporees). It is also getting harder and harder to hang in parks from what others are telling me. So, I would like to come up with something for car camping that I can use that will not be too bulky, but still easy to set up. I need something that will fit in the troop trailer without taking up more than my share of the room, so it has to be compact. Weight is not that important as I will not be backpacking with the support system.

I have been cruising around looking for ideas. I really like the Handy Hammock, but too much money for this guy. The other system I have seen that I like is two pieces of wood bolted together near the top to make a bipod. The hammock is hung between two of these and they have a single guy line out to a stake in the ground. I think I am actually going to try this one day before my next camping trip. I would like to steer clear of the tripod versions if possible, even though they do look nice. Is there any really big problems with the bipod and guy line setup? Does anyone know of any other good setup.

By the way, I will be the only one there in a hammock.

Thanks for the info,
    Rob
    Yes! The bipod with single tie down staked concept works! As I posted under "Hammock stand DIY". With these caveats:
    1) You must keep the angle of the tie down slight, else your body weight pulling up at a steep angle will simply lift the stakes out of the ground. So the tie down must be twice as long as you might first think, to reduce that angle to the ground.
    2) Not just any stake will do. You must have a serious dead-man stake. I use two 12 inch'ers on each end.

Hang in a field! Yeah!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123