WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    so far it's looking like an historic snowfall amount for the dc area.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchBender View Post
    Here in upstate N.Y. we are supposed to be spared mostly by the latest projections but some areas south are talking blizzard conditions. Anytime I hear blizzard I think very high winds as I've been through a few. Snow storm I'd hang, blizzard I'll sit out.
    Agreed. Especially if heavy snow. Heavy snow, high winds= Falling trees.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

There's a guy doing a SOBO Thru-Hike and I can't remember where I read about it. He had snow shoes and the whole 9 yards. I think he was a tent camper. Anyone read about him? Mt.Rogers hang will get pounded. Be safe at Grayson.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm more concerned about the coastal flooding. They're saying it could be the worst coastal flooding in history on the Jersey Shore (worse than Hurricane Sandy), or at the very least in the top 5 or 10. If it's a true Nor'easter, then you can't get any worse than a Nor'easter during the full moon.

While my home is now safely elevated, I have a ton of stuff in the garage that needs to be moved. My son is off from school tomorrow, and he's not going to be happy about us having to move a bunch of stuff. It will be an all-day affair.

Then on Friday, I'll have to move my car some three miles inland to Monmouth Park Racetrack in order to be safe. I'll have to walk home (though I may take a cab). The wife is going to Boston for the weekend so she'll miss all the fun.

Could the water really be higher than Hurricane Sandy in 2012? That put 43 inches of water in my living room. Worse than the Nor'easter of 1992? That only put 18 inches in my living room. Looks like I have lots of work ahead of me!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm more concerned about the coastal flooding. They're saying it could be the worst coastal flooding in history on the Jersey Shore (worse than Hurricane Sandy), or at the very least in the top 5 or 10. If it's a true Nor'easter, then you can't get any worse than a Nor'easter during the full moon.

While my home is now safely elevated, I have a ton of stuff in the garage that needs to be moved. My son is off from school tomorrow, and he's not going to be happy about us having to move a bunch of stuff. It will be an all-day affair.

Then on Friday, I'll have to move my car some three miles inland to Monmouth Park Racetrack in order to be safe. I'll have to walk home (though I may take a cab). The wife is going to Boston for the weekend so she'll miss all the fun.

Could the water really be higher than Hurricane Sandy in 2012? That put 43 inches of water in my living room. Worse than the Nor'easter of 1992? That only put 18 inches in my living room. Looks like I have lots of work ahead of me!
    My friend who is a scientist @ The Institute for Marine and Coastal Sciences who really knows about this type of thing is saying it has the potential to be a top 5 event. He doesnt expect it to rival Sandy, but at worst, would come within 12" of the worst we saw from Sandy. He also said based on the lastest models the storm looks to be taking a track that will result in more snow, but less flooding issues due to timing of the storm vs. the tides. I'll be hoping for the best, I know a lot of people with houses on the water, including my parents.

Jon
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer View Post
    My friend who is a scientist @ The Institute for Marine and Coastal Sciences who really knows about this type of thing is saying it has the potential to be a top 5 event.
    Unfortunately, science isn't much up to the task in predicting these things. We're 48 hours away from this storm hitting and they still don't have much of an idea of what is going to happen. Hurricane Sandy and the Nor'easter of 1992 made me painfully aware of how hard these storms are for meteorologists to predict. I remember checking the weather on the morning the Nor'easter of 1992 hit. Nobody was predicting anything like what happened. My wife started calling me at work about 10:30 am and said I had to get home - it was the worst storm she had ever seen. I checked the news, and they didn't have a clue what was going on.

The Garden State Parkway was closed from flooding (I don't ever recall that happening), but we got through just as the tide went down. I had to take a National Guard truck into town to rescue my wife and kid, then they took us out in a garbage truck (the only trucks with clearance enough from the floodwaters).

Hurricane Sandy was equally iffy, up until about 48 to 72 hours before it hit - twenty years later and we weren't any better at predicting the path of such storms. It simply defied logic that the hurricane would make a sharp left turn towards the coast, when almost all Atlantic hurricanes drift out to sea. The European model predicted the hurricane's path nearly eight days in advance, while the National Weather Service was not able to reach the same conclusion until October 27 (two days before landfall).

So here we are, two days before Jonas' landfall in Jersey, and we really don't know if it will be a top 5 event, or if it will be minor snowfall in New Jersey and minor coastal flooding. Personally, I can't take a chance so I have to go with worst case scenario and start taking things to higher ground!

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Agree on the preparations, that was his advice to people. I very much remember the storm on '92, I was rowing a john boat up and down my parents shore house street.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Good luck silvrsurfr. I was in NJ after Sandy hit helping out as a paramedic. Was pretty bad.

I was also in New Orleans right after Katrina, and ever since I have the utmost respect for the power of water. Couldn't even describe what it was like to people who weren't there without running out of adjectives.

NJ after Sandy was a lot like that, only on a much smaller, and less severe scale. Still though, Sandy was no joke. Broke my heart to hear so many people talk about how they spent their childhoods at the shore and board walk, and that same shore and boardwalk was essentially just gone.

20121101_133023.jpg

I'll never forget the guy in this picture. Local fire chief, showing us a map and newspaper from his area, where he grew up, pointing out the areas that had basically just washed away with the storm. The whole time you could see tears in his eyes. Had a pretty profound impact on me.

Stay safe silvrsurfr.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I could hardly get a parking spot at Shop-Rite - people are in full prep mode and the place is packed. Luckily, I was able to pick up some firewood, 50 lbs. of calcium chloride and a shovel at Home Depot before they sold out.

Even if the electricity goes out, I think we'll be okay. I have dehydrated meals, denatured alcohol, and of course, HG Quilts to keep us warm and toasty!

I really hate the idea of moving my car three miles inland. If it really snows 12 to 16 inches, it will be beastly hiking those three miles. I guess I'd rather deal with that than lose my car to flooding.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Two days ago they said NH was going to get slammed, now they are saying that it will miss us completely. I'm torn, I like to hang in a good snow but I don't like living in it. Either way, I'll be hanging anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast