Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My first hammock was a Hennessy Exped Asym Zip. I certainly wouldn't buy one again (too uncomfortable), but it's not a bad first hammock.
    What was it about the asym you didn't like? That's what my wife is getting, just curious.
    -Jason-

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm too tall for the expedition but I'd bet that won't be a problem for your wife. I have one for my kid and it's fine for him. Also, the fabric is much heavier (hotter) than some of the lighter models.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I started with a HH Exped Asym Classic, and had no problems. But I never hung it using the recommended figure 8 knot. I got some carabiners and descending rings. Made hanging it much simpler and quicker.

Only reason I'm not still using it, is well, a side affect of lurking in these forums. Can't help but want to try all the other possibilities Once that DIY bug gets you, there's no cure!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by datman View Post
    What was it about the asym you didn't like? That's what my wife is getting, just curious.
    1. It's too small for me; I'm 5'11".
    2. I got constant calf ridge.
    3. I'm just not a fan of integrated hammocks. When I got calf cramps, I could never find the zipper and would kick and scream through the calf pain until I found the zipper. It was traumatizing! I hope I never see a zipper as long as I live. I really prefer the quick escape of an independent bugnet like the Fronkey. I just swing my legs out of the hammock and they're on the ground.
    4. I made the mistake of getting the stock tarp. That thing is too tiny. In blowing precipitation you have to really sling it low. I should have upgraded to the HH Hex.
    5. The stock suspension and Figure 8 knot is a pain. I hardly ever got the setup right the first time. It didn't take me long to upgrade to whoopie slings. Of course, this invalidates the warranty, but I just couldn't take it anymore.
    6. At 2 lbs. 12 oz., it's pretty heavy. Now I have a Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammock (9.6 oz.), Fronkey bugnet (7 oz.), and HG Winter Palace (8.6 oz.). I can leave the bugnet at home 9 months out of the year. I've never once gotten calf ridge in a gathered end, which is well worth the price.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tribe Provision
    Tarp
    UST 2.0 Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    I'll be a voice that dissents a little from what seems to be the sentiment of this thread. I don't think it should cost an arm and a leg to get into the hammock scene- although I'm relatively new to the concept, so correct me where I'm wrong.

What about a startup kid that includes something like the following:
    Hammock: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Singl...isions+hammock
    Relatively light hammock with good reviews. I have one and it works great. I upgraded the suspension rope it came with by using a $10 roll of webbing purchased online.
    Tarp: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Survi...=tube+tarp+1.0
    This tarp is great for a lot of other uses as well and is relatively light- 26.5oz, which comes down significantly when you replace the steel carabiners and stakes.

To start out you can use reflectix material or a ccf pad. I'm assuming you already own a sleeping bag, so that isn't any additional cost. So for the items above, including straps, you're looking at $68.59 for your initial setup. I'm making my own underquilt now out of an old down sleeping bag purchased on craigslist that will end up costing about $50. I bought both of the above items when the cost was slightly lower, so even with my underquilt setup, I'm looking at a total cost of just over $100 per person.

I just don't think you have to break the bank to get started with a decent setup for hammock camping.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by matimeo View Post
    I'll be a voice that dissents a little from what seems to be the sentiment of this thread. I don't think it should cost an arm and a leg to get into the hammock scene.

I respect what you are saying and agree to a point.. You don't need to spend what we are planning for a new rig, there are cheaper options. BUT, it depends on the person. I am the type of person who will get what I want eventually, if I "settle" for something that wasn't what I wanted, I won't be satisfied until I get it, and will end up going out again and getting what I originally wanted.. I know I'm not the only one out there who thinks this way. Some would call it smart, others would say I'm an idiot.

My thought process is - spend a little more now, save a lot down the road.

We despise tents and sleeping on the ground. We have a rather large camper but I don't like the added stress it puts on my truck so it doesn't go out much, and can't exactly take it backpacking.. So for us, this is our best option, so in my mind, we might as well do it right.
    -Jason-

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    Here is a post about my first "hang" to show my attempt at doing it on the cheap to see if hammock camping was for me.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=98976
    I now have a Dutch hammock, diy tarp, HG top quilt, Jarbidge underquilt.
    A lot of the cheap gear I bought I still have and use for loaners.
    Definitely practice whatever you decide on in your backyard!

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I like the way you think, matimeo ... why is the Grand Trunk ultralight never mentioned in these "low cost starter" discussions? Never had one but they're less than $20 and Grand Trunk is a reputable company (I have their Nano), seems like an easy choice...
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    walkabout fly
    Insulation
    OV 20 UQ or PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Cranky, I was just coming on to mention Grand Trunk. As my profile says, I use one and love it. I have the integrated bug net, a walkabout fly and I'm in way under the budget you have set Datman. I don't think I'm settling at all, I am comfortable in the woods. Take a look at them and see if you like them. Not the lightest, but I don't count oz like some other guys. I'm starting to, but I'm not bothered by my set up at all.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Valley Scout View Post
    Cranky, I was just coming on to mention Grand Trunk. As my profile says, I use one and love it. I have the integrated bug net, a walkabout fly and I'm in way under the budget you have set Datman. I don't think I'm settling at all, I am comfortable in the woods. Take a look at them and see if you like them. Not the lightest, but I don't count oz like some other guys. I'm starting to, but I'm not bothered by my set up at all.
    I looked at one of those for a while actually.. The reviews were really good. I ended up getting a Dutch 11' w/ a bugnet with whoopies and tree straps and an eno dryfly(was an impulse buy at REI, and I don't know how I feel about it yet).

After watching many videos and with my knowledge of a sewing machine, I decided to save some money by making our own UQ's and TQ's. I will be ordering the material next week.
    -Jason-

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast