Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape

AHE Jarbidge vs Snugpak Under Blanket

Sorry guys.. another this vs that post. I recognize that this is mostly just a matter of opinion but I'm OK with making my decisions off of the majority's opinion as well as any credible information from someone who has used both.

I'm fairly new to the world of hanging and have been looking to add some insulation to the bottom of my hammock. The two that fit my budget are the Jarbidge and the Snugpak UnderBlanket. I sleep in my hammock rain or shine at least 5 nights a month January through December. I live in the Florida panhandle so Winters are mild with most nights not dropping below 30. I consider myself a normal sleeper. I use a Military Sleep System unzipped as my TQ. Thanks in advance for the insight.

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    my daughter who sleeps cold was fine in the under blanket and hammock quilt yesterday at 24F and was fine at 14F with a reflectix pad as a booster and those two weigh 5lbs. I cant speak to the jarbridge

AHE Jarbidge vs Snugpak Under Blanket

I have a dd underblanket which I believe is comparable to the snugpack and used it down to 22 the other night with an old 0 deg bag as a tq. I did use a ridgerest solite in between my double layer hammock as well.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I posted this in another thread on a similar subject, so I'll add it here.

Snugpak vs Jarbidge......my 2cents, having owned both.

Snugpak pros - $50 give or take, full length, compacts to about the same size as the Jarbidge, imported but well made.
    Snugpak cons - weighs around 46 oz. so a lot heavier than the Jarbidge. Does not have end channels that cinch, but it seems to snug up around the hammock well.
    Jarbidge pros - $100 which is a great price. Made with care by Paul at AHE. Lighter weight than the Snugpak by a good bit (less than 20 oz. for a 3 season). Compacts about the same as the Snugpak, maybe a little smaller. Good suspension with cinchable end channels.
    Jarbidge cons - 3/4 length, which may be a con depending on your preference.

I prefer a full length and the weight doesn't matter as much to me since my mode of travel is a kayak or raft. I'm about 50/50 hammock vs tent, so a nice full length down UQ isn't financially practical for me. The Snugpak fits my needs at a good price, but I would not hesitate to recommend a Jarbidge. If you are a backpacker, looking for weight saving, and you're ok with a 3/4 length UQ, then the Jarbidge may be the better choice. Both are great, lower cost choices.

Here's a picture of the Snugpak packed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 01-19-2016 at 22:40.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I just got a snugpak a few days ago and am still fiddling with it. Set it up this morning and lay down for a nap. It was low 50's today ( I'm on the east coast of Florida) and i was nice and toasty. I was using my green patrol bag from the mss unzipped as a top quilt. Kept me nice and toasty head to toe without having to put on to many layers of clothes. I've got some tato quilt hangers and other bling on order from Dutch which should make hanging it much easier. Not a bad quilt, but not the best. Like the head to toe coverage though and can't beat the price.
    The jarbridge looks like it is a high quality piece of gear right out of the bag, plus it's American made. Had considered saving up to get one or trying to make my own, but was given the snugpak as a gift. So maybe next time. I don't plan on doing any serious cold weather camping( there's a reason i live in Florida, i hate cold weather) so it should get me through the next year at least then i can pass it down the line to my son.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    I appreciate all the feedback. I think I will give the Snugpak a try.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Do some searching on here for a pretty long thread on the under blanket. Several folks (myself included) have been tinkering around with the suspension. I'm still trying to streamline it a bit.

I've only had a chance to do a bit of backyard hanging so far. I added some mini-biners and heavy duty cordlocks to each end to ease the hanging/adjustment a bit. So far I was pretty toasty around 50F (as cold as it got last week here in FL). I'm hoping to do some more testing this weekend when the cold front finally moves through.

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    my daughter ran the shock cord through all the end tabs and tied them together in a square not over her mosquito net because she was testing with no tarp, she said she was going to go to the tarp ridgeline but since this works she's staying like this and she's a cold sleeper and she's staying warm in pretty low numbers with the hammock quilt as well.

Here she is in the afternoon out there for hours

and then at night, when it hit 18 she got cold and we put her reflectix sleeping pad in the hammock and her reflectix sit pad in the foot box, wool gloves, a balaclava and she warmed back up and was out there for 2 more hours and it was 14F when I brought her in, she is very happy with this setup

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Nice! Tough gal. Thanks for the pictures and the field tested feedback

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I have a snugpak underblanket, and an Arrowhead New river, my brother has a jarbidge.

The snugpak is half the price and full length.

The jarbidge is lighter and will be warmer.

Kind of a toss up. Comes down to if you want a 3/4 or full length really. Both have advantages.

I prefer full length myself.

For the price of the jarbidge you could have the underblanket and top quilt from snugpak. I have both. For the price it's a great combo and would be good to about freezing temps.

I'm not much help. Both are great products. Arrowhead equipment is a great company, and I've wrote Paul before. He's been great responding and I know he would stand by his products. As for Snugpak, I had an issue with my hammock cocoon from them. Within a few days I was sent a replacement for free, along with free shipping to send the old one back so that it could be inspected (had faulty stitiching). Proforce supplies snugpak products in the USA, both the original retailer of my cocoon (VT army navy) and proforce were really good about helping me out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast