Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    The biggest regret I have from when I started hammocking was underestimating the difficulty of having an integrated hammock & bugnet with a zipper on only one side while trying to learn to fit my UQ properly. I started w/ a Hennessy but the WBBB has the same issue. The number of times I suffered cold butt syndrome whileI thought, "It will get better," because I could not really reach out the side of the hammock away from the zipper and feel how the UQ was hanging or to pull, tug, or adjust while I was in the hammock are beyond belief.

Since you indicate that you'll eventually be using UQs, my recommendation is to start w/ a Dutch netless until you are comfortable knowing how to fit a quilt AND how you like to sleep. A Dutch (or any symmetrical hammock for that matter) will allow you to try both left and right lay until you know what you like best. With the WBBB you have to know ahead of time if you want left or right lay. It is also much easier to make the quilt adjustments I spoke about.

I've put my money where my mouth is too ... although I now use a Dream Hammock (with zippers on both sides and a removable net/overcover) as my primary rig, I also have an 11' Dutch for my daughter and for the occasional friend who isn't sure if hammocks are for them. Much easier to start this way, methinks.

Good luck.
    Awesome advice, thanks.
    -Jason-

Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    X2 I'm with grumpy sqAtch. I have a HH and for me it's comfortable enough and works fine BUT i am also gonna buy another hammock and in my limited experience now with underquilts I've learned 2 things about my needs 1 i def. need some sort of bug net ( I prefer to have one that zips not fronkey style) 2 it must have zippers on both sides so I can adjust underquilt from the hammock without the struggle factor.

I'd skip the HH hex and go straight to a WB Edge, an UGQ Hanger or a WL Tad Pole. All great hex tarps. Just depends on what suits you re material and color.

Some day you may add a doored tarp, but these are examples of nice hexes and a nice hex is good to have.

And I really like the idea of zippers on both sides when you have an integrated net. DH has a couple and other vendors do as well.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.7 oz gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would send you down the path to the simple Dutch hammock too or any simple gathered end hammock for that matter. Since you are new to all this like I was not that long ago it will give you as good a chance at having as good of an experience as you might have with any particular hammock/fabric out there without investing a lot of money up front. I think the keys when starting out are that a longer hammock has a higher chance of being more comfortable for any given person than does a shorter hammock. You have several options for bug netting that will allow you to get started with relief from the bugs while still saving a little money for now till you get some experience and start getting better ideas of what suits you. Also as someone else mentioned since you are new, not having to commit to head left/head right will be an advantage of a simple gathered end. I have yet to lay in a WBBB but I tend to believe any advantages it will offer over the simple gathered ends will be the convenience of the shelf and keeping the bug net off your face more than other kinds of add on nets. Take that for what it's worth from someone that has never even laid eyes on a real live WBBB much less laid in one. I intend to have one someday but I have to say if it is a ton more comfortable than my DIY 11' I will be very pleasantly surprised. Also if you end up staying with a hammock system for your main sleep system you'll want to try other types of hammocks over time in pursuit of that perfect hang. Because how do you really know what you like the most till you try them all! Right!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like the Dutch hammock - I hate carrying a bugnet when I don't need one (which is nine months out of the year).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks again all for the great advice. So glad I found this place.
    -Jason-

I'd also add that your decision should depend on your intended use. I believe that even Dutch would tell you that you're comparing apples to oranges here. I state that because he basically said that in another thread where his 11' was on a short list with three netted hammocks.

If saving weight and bulk are you goals such as thinking about section hiking or through hiking one or more of the big trails, then light really counts. That's where a hammock like Dutch's shines.

I have a XLC DL and live in MN. I'm not currently in backpacking mode. I don't care that it's a bit heavier and bulkier than a hammock like Dutch's. It's one great hammock and I love the comfort and bug protection. I expect to add at least a couple of more hammocks but I can't see ever selling the XLC. Two that ARE on my short list are the 11' from Dutch and a HyBird from Randy and Deanna at DH, if they make it part of their normal offerings (the HyBird was sold in limited numbers as essentially prototypes.) Maybe something else from them if the HB isn't offered...

I like the idea of a first high-quality hammock having a number of creature comforts and for me that means an integrated net.

Not crazy about HH products. More bang for the buck with some other makers. Can I talk your wife out of it?

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Could have best of both worlds and get a Dutch half wit hammock. ...

Or get the dutch, and a HUG (half bug net) front Arrowhead equipment.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post

Not crazy about HH products. More bang for the buck with some other makers. Can I talk your wife out of it?
    It can be done, but it will need to be comparable in price..

What part of mn? I lived in LaCrescsent for several years.. Right across the bridge from LaCrosse, miss that place.. Beautiful country.
    -Jason-

Quote Originally Posted by datman View Post
    It can be done, but it will need to be comparable in price..

What part of mn? I lived in LaCrescsent for several years.. Right across the bridge from LaCrosse, miss that place.. Beautiful country.
    You'll see a lot of folks here saying "buy once, cry once." There's a lot to be said for spending a bit more than the HH to have a better product and having a better experience.

S of Stillwater, N of Hastings. Know La Crescent well. Good friend in La Crosse.
    Last edited by TominMN; 01-22-2016 at 11:29.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast