Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammock (Hexon 1.0)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Huggers

DIY VS Dutch made 11' hammock?

I have my eye on a 11' Dutch hammock, but I can't decide weather to just buy one or to make my own with materials off of Dutch's site. I want it to be made out of Hexon 1.0. From what I can tell, I won't save much money if I go DIY. The base fabric is only $11 cheaper than the whole hammock. And that doesn't include the material for the stuff sack that is included with Dutch's hammocks. I would then add tree huggers with dutch clips and whoopie slings and also a ridgeline. Should I order the complete hammock and then do the rest DIY? Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    For me, making a DIY suspension was very easy and fun. Made my own hammock also and didn't enjoy it and it didn't turn out all that well. If I had it to do again, I'd still diy the suspension and buy the hammock already made.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler88 View Post
    For me, making a DIY suspension was very easy and fun. Made my own hammock also and didn't enjoy it and it didn't turn out all that well. If I had it to do again, I'd still diy the suspension and buy the hammock already made.
    IMO that is sound advise unless making the hammock is something you would enjoy and you have the time. Suspensions are much more enjoyable to make and the cost saving are greater.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I agree with the above. I'll also add, you probably need to purchase the correct thread for a DIY hammock (non cotton like Guttermans Thread). So unless you plan on doing a bunch more DIY and enjoy it, you are honestly better off just buying the hammock from Dutch. Having said that, I did enjoy making my first hammock awhile back, but my craftsmanship is severely lacking.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I get no real joy from DIY. I've made hammocks and a tarp, and it just doesn't do anything for me. Buy from Dutch, I say!

I've always made my own suspensions, though. Just gotta buy the Dutch bling from Dutch!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4, GTSB, 11' DIY
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah 12 Clone
    Insulation
    Costco TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Do both. A DIY hammock ( may I suggest a tablecloth unit for starters ) w/DIY suspension and a blinged out Dutch rig.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    I like DIY for the experience, but the savings on a hammock are very minimal. Also, as simple as a hammock is, the size of the fabric (and thinness) do complicate things a bit.

Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammock (Hexon 1.0)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Huggers
    Thanks folks! Now I have to decide weather to get 11' or the Half-Wit. I am 6', will the extra 7" in the 11' make much of a difference? I believe this will be mainly used for backpacking. Though if I get a stand I will most likely live in it during the summer while guiding on the Arkansas river in CO.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Having made a DIY and then after buying a couple Dutchmades with the same materials, the only reason to DIY is so you can tell people you made it yourself. Of course this makes as much sense as going to Subway and then asking if you could make your own sub.

The only time I DIY now is if I'm making something so rare that even Dutch doesn't have it in stock. Like those plastic shears for removing the fuzz from caribou antlers. Or avacado ice cream. Or a Shug Fail Compilation Video. (That's right, it doesn't exist because there just isn't any video of Shug failing at anything, ever).
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hall View Post
    Thanks folks! Now I have to decide weather to get 11' or the Half-Wit. I am 6', will the extra 7" in the 11' make much of a difference? I believe this will be mainly used for backpacking. Though if I get a stand I will most likely live in it during the summer while guiding on the Arkansas river in CO.
    I'd get the 11' with a fronkey net personally. For most longer is more comfy, and when it's hot and buggy I don't want to have to keep half my body covered up.

Now I don't have much experience with Colorado, but I don't think you get bugs like we do in the east, so the net consideration may not matter.

I personally diy most of my stuff, but I really enjoy. Just started my first down quilt set tonight. Ironically the only things I've bought pre-made is my suspension components from Dutch. I now make my own suspensions, but my go to are still those original cinch buckles and straps from Dutch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast