Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

On the fence bottom insulation

Hey guys,

I am fairly new to this whole hammock thing, and I would like to know the most effective bottom insulation that combines price with weight, comfort and functionality. I would prefer the price be under around $100 but I am flexible. As for the temperature, anything around 40 degrees is fine for me.

I have a hennessy hyperlite and am currently using the big agnes q core as insulation. As nice as it is, I always end up moving out of the asym lay and find myself having to readjust.

A couple options that I have thought about are the gossamer gear pad, the z-lite pad, and the arrowhead equipment jarbridge underquilt. If there are any better options please let me know!

Thanks so much!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would go Jarbidge.......http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html
    Has a great reputation.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    Second that, my buddy used that same UQ on the Wonderland thru hike we did a year ago.

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Third that. I have the Jarbidge and I'm very happy with it.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    At the $100 price point, there's really nothing that competes with the Jarbridge. EE and SLD offer some similar quilts, some of them lighter, some with more color choices, some in different sizes, but all at a higher price.

You got a zip or classic bottom entry? You can entertain looking at the full length from those other places, but otherwise, the Jarbridge is perfect for the bottom entry. I miss my classic Explorer. If you have the classic with no zip mod, then definitely get the AHE triangle thingies UQ suspension - you'll be glad you did. Come in handy otherwise, but if you can't reach out to adjust, its a definite necessity for using an UQ.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My recommendation is to save a few more pennies and get an UQ from LocoLibreGear or HG. So you don't end up doing it twice and wasting more money.

Wow thanks for all the quick response! I have a side zip model, and am fine with a partial length bc I can just add a sit pad into my quilt right? I was thinking about another purchase from HG but not sure if I'm ready to make the commitment again (I purchased a top quilt, and I do regret not getting an equivalent underquilt instead). Would the equivalent partial quilt from HG be that much better than arrowhead for an extra $60 or so?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ywagner View Post
    Wow thanks for all the quick response! I have a side zip model, and am fine with a partial length bc I can just add a sit pad into my quilt right? I was thinking about another purchase from HG but not sure if I'm ready to make the commitment again (I purchased a top quilt, and I do regret not getting an equivalent underquilt instead). Would the equivalent partial quilt from HG be that much better than arrowhead for an extra $60 or so?
    I have three diy jarbridge's, and I'm getting ready to do a down UQ (almost done the down TQ!). If you are backpacking I'd definitely spend the extra $60. Down is lighter, and so much more packable. I only did synthetics he first time, because I had to outfit the family first, and frankly I was leary of dealing with down on a diy project back then.

AHE makes a great product at a great price point, but HG makes premium product at a below premium price point.

Also to note: the jarbridge 1 season is good to "the 40's." My diy apex UQ's get me to for around 35-40 depending on wind, and mine are 5oz vs the jarbridge 3.6oz. (He's also been building and designing his a lot longer, so they probably have a better fit!) I'm also not the warmest sleeper.

The HG Phoenix is supposed to be good to 40, so it may give a few more degrees. This is of course all subjective based on how warm you sleep!

At the end of the day, unless you are only camping in the height of summer I'd personally look at a 3 season. I go to the mountains between Virginia and New York regularly in the summer along with Algonquin in Canada, and have been slightly cold when the temp hits 40 in June-August.

Now that I look at it, it probably would make more sense to just bite the bullet. Im thinking the pheonix 40 with an ounce of overstuff would be good. That would be good for a three season right? As for my feet, are there any really great products, or are they all about the same. I have my eye on the z seat which is only 2 ounces.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ywagner View Post
    Now that I look at it, it probably would make more sense to just bite the bullet. Im thinking the pheonix 40 with an ounce of overstuff would be good. That would be good for a three season right? As for my feet, are there any really great products, or are they all about the same. I have my eye on the z seat which is only 2 ounces.
    I would recommend a 20º quilt for three season. Will be way more versitile. Easy to vent if too hot but bet it won't be too hot.
    I like a thermarest sit-pad for my feet in mu TQ. No condensation ever.
    UQ intel.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast