DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Ive been using MYOG Guyline Tensioners on my tarp for quite a while. Just tested out with WS as Opie did and it works just fine. The GTs have a loop at each end making attachment simple.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Ive been using MYOG Guyline Tensioners on my tarp for quite a while. Just tested out with WS as Opie did and it works just fine. The GTs have a loop at each end making attachment simple.
    I was playing around with it this morning... the MYOG is pretty slick... Hadnt thought of just making a small tensioner. You still have to insert it into the guyline somewhere.

I got to thinking about the whoopie tie out and a couple advantages came to mind...

No knots. No clips or figure 9's. No hardware other than your stakes. Larks head the dead eye to your D ring or tarp loop, throw the adjustable loop over your stake and pull tight.

The more I think about a UCR version of this, the more Im going to steer away from it. I have a 3" bury on this tie out... Im thinking that with a UCR version the bury would need to be around 10". With the whoopie version allowing you to eliminate any clipping hardware such as a small biner or figure 9, you should still see a weight savings even with 12' of line.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I was playing around with it this morning... the MYOG is pretty slick... Hadnt thought of just making a small tensioner. You still have to insert it into the guyline somewhere.

I got to thinking about the whoopie tie out and a couple advantages came to mind...

No knots. No clips or figure 9's. No hardware other than your stakes. Larks head the dead eye to your D ring or tarp loop, throw the adjustable loop over your stake and pull tight.

The more I think about a UCR version of this, the more Im going to steer away from it. I have a 3" bury on this tie out... Im thinking that with a UCR version the bury would need to be around 10". With the whoopie version allowing you to eliminate any clipping hardware such as a small biner or figure 9, you should still see a weight savings even with 12' of line.
    I just pass the GT loop through the tie-out loop on the tarp and pass the GT through itself (the loop) Voila! No hardware

JFTR - I make the GTs mini (4"-6") and they still have enough stretch and tension to be fully effective. I'll post a pic later.
    Last edited by Running Feather; 11-19-2009 at 08:29. Reason: additional info

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    This just keeps getting cooler.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    What about a non self tensioning WS for the ridgeline on a tarp, you could put the adjustable end around the toggle of the suspension WS.

If the hammock has a 30 degree angle from the toggle and the tarp ridgeline is straight out from the toggle you would have enough room to move under the tarp.
    There might be some sag once you get in but if the side tie outs are self tensioning then the tarp should stay tight.

Just a thought.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    For those interested, the GTs are easy to make without all the tools in the tutorial. I use a biner attached to the leg of my bridge/work table as an anchor and that's it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    What about a non self tensioning WS for the ridgeline on a tarp, you could put the adjustable end around the toggle of the suspension WS.

If the hammock has a 30 degree angle from the toggle and the tarp ridgeline is straight out from the toggle you would have enough room to move under the tarp.
    There might be some sag once you get in but if the side tie outs are self tensioning then the tarp should stay tight.

Just a thought.
    Yep, I can do that too. Just need to know min and max distances.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    UCR tie out is done. Works better than the whoopie.

Im hoping to get some video tomorrow.....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Here it is...

Thanks Jerry.
    Last edited by opie; 11-22-2009 at 16:48.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    From the video, it looks like the UCR works a lot better on the tie outs than it does on the suspension - it appears that you don't have to tension the hanging end like you do in the suspension. The forces aren't nearly as high and that makes a big difference.

Also, it looks like the UCR works a lot better for the tie outs than the Whoopie Sling. With the Whoopie Sling, it is a lot harder to loosen. That UCR loosens very easily.

I really like the no hardware aspect, but the shortest tie down distance is still pretty long - the length of the adjustable bury plus the length of the 2 fixed eye buries and the 2 fixed eyes (if no tensioner is used - add that in if used). That is one thing I really like about the small Figure 9s - the shortest distance is not much more than the Figure 9 itself.

Hmm - I'll have to make up a few and try them. I think for long tie outs the UCR would be really great.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast