Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Greenwood Lake, NY
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer asym zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock
    Posts
    71

    Questions about UQ for a HH Explorer DX

    Hi I'm not sure if this should go to AHE or HH or Bottom insulation section so...

    I have a HH Explorer deluxe, I've been using the HHSS for a couple years now and works well for me down to about 20 - 25F depending on conditions and I use the patrol bag alone or and the bivy from my mss. If I expect it to be colder I bring the full mss and a thermarest pad, that weight never bothered me until...

    My daughter recently got the snugpak set and loves it. I don't think that works for me as it covers the same area as the HHSS at more weight but with less fuss. Weight and pack space really got me thinking, so now I'm rethinking my setup. I'm thinking of a potomac or a jarbridge. Potomac because its made for the HH and the jarbridge because in cold weather i'm already using a pad so that's not a change really right?

    How much does the 4S versions of those two weigh? is there a significant advantage to either? am I being over simplified about the jarbridge working the same as me being in the mss with the pad? how warm can I use it before its two warm if its a 4S?

    Also if I get a bonus this year I'd like to get the DH Sparrow so I'd like whatever I get to work with both and I could swear I saw someone say the Potomac worked on it because of the asym design.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    846
    If you're going to get a Sparrow, you might want to go for the options from DH and UGQ to have a great fit. That would be UQ hooks on the hammock and the mod on the UGQ UQ to use the hooks to the greatest advantage.

    There's no doubt the UGQ UQ would still work fine with other gathered-end hammocks. Get a warm enough UQ and leave the pad at home except for extreme cold.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Greenwood Lake, NY
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer asym zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    If you're going to get a Sparrow, you might want to go for the options from DH and UGQ to have a great fit. That would be UQ hooks on the hammock and the mod on the UGQ UQ to use the hooks to the greatest advantage.

    There's no doubt the UGQ UQ would still work fine with other gathered-end hammocks. Get a warm enough UQ and leave the pad at home except for extreme cold.
    I was going to get both the tie outs and uq hooks and I was figuring the Potomac would just attach to one of them like the tie outs on the HH.

    Is a down quilt harder to dial in on an HH than a Potomac?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Greenwood Lake, NY
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer asym zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock
    Posts
    71

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by themadindian View Post
    Take a look here:

    http://www.undergroundquilts.com/uq/default.html

    and scroll down to the spot (about 2/3 the way down the page) that shows the DH pack hook modification.

    See if that's appealing. IMO, I wouldn't be too focused on the Potomac based on the fact that it's made for the DH. It would be different if you already had it and wanted to move it to another brand.

    Don't know why a down UQ could possibly be any harder to dial in...

  6. #6
    pgibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,722
    The Potomac was specificly designed to fit HH's. In the time it was originally designed HH's were one of the only hammocks you could buy commercially for camping. Since then there are a lot of other options but by no means does that mean the Potomac won't fit and work just fine for other hammocks. We have Made thousands of Potomacs over the past 6 years of having KAQ be part of the Arrowhead Equipment family of gear and many of those folks have used the Potomac on every know brand of hammock. Fear not it would work with whatever hammock you want to use and provide full body stretch out coverage.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram
    Sign Up for Arrowhead-Equipment Gear News: Click Here

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Greenwood Lake, NY
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer asym zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Take a look here:

    http://www.undergroundquilts.com/uq/default.html

    and scroll down to the spot (about 2/3 the way down the page) that shows the DH pack hook modification.

    See if that's appealing. IMO, I wouldn't be too focused on the Potomac based on the fact that it's made for the DH. It would be different if you already had it and wanted to move it to another brand.

    Don't know why a down UQ could possibly be any harder to dial in...
    I assumed it would be harder because the Potomac is designed for it and connects to its tie outs just like what you've shared in that link. I also assumed down quilts were rectangular and not asym and wasn't sure if that mattered and also wouldn't have tie outs that matched

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Greenwood Lake, NY
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer asym zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    The Potomac was specificly designed to fit HH's. In the time it was originally designed HH's were one of the only hammocks you could buy commercially for camping. Since then there are a lot of other options but by no means does that mean the Potomac won't fit and work just fine for other hammocks. We have Made thousands of Potomacs over the past 6 years of having KAQ be part of the Arrowhead Equipment family of gear and many of those folks have used the Potomac on every know brand of hammock. Fear not it would work with whatever hammock you want to use and provide full body stretch out coverage.
    There's a confidence inspiring response

    Sent you a PM

Similar Threads

  1. Got sum Hennessy Explorer questions..??
    By saharrison67 in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 11:42
  2. Explorer Deluxe vs Explorer Ultralite
    By bcaron in forum Hennessy Hammocks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 15:03
  3. HH Explorer Deluxe pad questions
    By shf in forum Hennessy Hammocks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 22:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •