One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

Baby hammock

My wife is due the middle of March and we're full time hangers. So, I've been looking into baby hammocks. I looked into some of the older posts and found some information, but still have a few questions. I'm debating between making one and buying it. There are several manufacturers out there and several DIY tutorials. Does anyone have any experience with any of these or others? Hushmock has a 50% off sale right now which makes it really tempting, new for the same price as used on ebay. We're basically looking to use this until the baby becomes mobile, and then we'll have to rethink sleeping arrangements.

Manufacturers:
    http://www.kanoe.us/
    http://www.babyhammocks.com/index.php?route=common/home
    https://www.nonomo.de/
    http://hushamok.com/collections/ourcollection

DIY plans:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Baby-Hammock-Swing
    https://karynforyou.wordpress.com/20...-baby-hammock/

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    It's kind of hard to put an exact time on when an infant becomes "mobile". What if this happens in the middle of the night and they roll out?

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyBeans View Post
    It's kind of hard to put an exact time on when an infant becomes "mobile". What if this happens in the middle of the night and they roll out?
    If you look at most of the designs they would have to be able to climb out not gust roll.

Hammock
    1.8oz Camo RS 11' DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    DutchBling w/Strap
    Use a Mayan hammock. You can tie a knot in the side to use like a makeshift ridge line and then wrap the opposite side up over the top. It works perfectly and keeps them netted in. That's how they do it in the Yucatan Peninsula.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by cdburgess View Post
    Use a Mayan hammock. You can tie a knot in the side to use like a makeshift ridge line and then wrap the opposite side up over the top. It works perfectly and keeps them netted in. That's how they do it in the Yucatan Peninsula.
    I can't quite picture what you're saying.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    Both of my kids probably spent more time in the hammock than I did. We kept them in an Amazonas Kangoo for appr. their first year of life. Never had an accident. Especially our daughter had trouble falling asleep, the hammock saved our life! Especially when we used the spring she dropped out within minutes, while it often took an hour or more in her bed! We recommended this style of hammock to several friends, everyone of them used it and loved it. I think there is no big difference between the manufacturers, some of my friends used the Nonomo, it was equally designed and well-crafted as the Amazonas Kangoo.

Today I would make the hammock myself, your second DIY link looks fine.

And don't worry about how long to keep them in the hammock. You will recognize when they start to struggle with the reduced elbow-room in the hammock. It will not be like they *suddenly* start to move an fall out. They will rather begin to bend and fight with the fabric, but they will not find a way out of the hammock. At this point it is time to offer them something else.

We kept the baby hammock right above our bed, so even if the small ones should fall out, there is no big risk. And if they need something during the night or if they want to cuddle, you do not even have to get out of bed. And it saves space in your room.

Like always: heavenly hammock, pleasing our lives.
    Last edited by echinotrix; 01-28-2016 at 03:38.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by echinotrix View Post
    Both of my kids probably spent more time in the hammock than I did. We kept them in an Amazonas Kangoo for appr. their first year of life. Never had an accident. Especially our daughter had trouble falling asleep, the hammock saved our life! Especially when we used the spring she dropped out within minutes, while it often took an hour or more in her bed! We recommended this style of hammock to several friends, everyone of them used it and loved it. I think there is no big difference between the manufacturers, some of my friends used the Nonomo, it was equally designed and well-crafted as the Amazonas Kangoo.

Today I would make the hammock myself, your second DIY link looks fine.

And don't worry about how long to keep them in the hammock. You will recognize when they start to struggle with the reduced elbow-room in the hammock. It will not be like they *suddenly* start to move an fall out. They will rather begin to bend and fight with the fabric, but they will not find a way out of the hammock. At this point it is time to offer them something else.

We kept the baby hammock right above our bed, so even if the small ones should fall out, there is no big risk. And if they need something during the night or if they want to cuddle, you do not even have to get out of bed. And it saves space in your room.

Like always: heavenly hammock, pleasing our lives.
    Thanks for sharing youred experience. It's very helpful to hear from people who have used these.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    While we didn't have hammocks when our 4 were that you we did keep them in bed with us. Much easier for midnight feedings and the babies (and us) got much better nights sleep. I would look into keeping the baby in her hammock with her for a while. Mother's instincts are a great thing at this age.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    While we didn't have hammocks when our 4 were that you we did keep them in bed with us. Much easier for midnight feedings and the babies (and us) got much better nights sleep. I would look into keeping the baby in her hammock with her for a while. Mother's instincts are a great thing at this age.
    I'm glad that worked for you, but I see too many babies dying every year from stuff like that to consider doing it.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I'm glad that worked for you, but I see too many babies dying every year from stuff like that to consider doing it.
    Check out kangaroo care, it can be highly beneficial to both mom and baby. Not to derail this thread I'll just leave it at that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast