Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    Definitely lube the machine before messing with tension (if you have not already). Excess friction could mimic tension problems.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Even though you know it is threaded correctly, I would start over from scratch.

Make sure the needle is new, straight and installed correctly, bobbin threaded correctly, not inserted in reverse.

Thread the complete machine.

Take your thread tension knob, turn to left, loosen fully, turn to right fully, tighten, find the center point and start there, you should end up on light nylon about 1/4 turn to loose after your test sew on a scrap.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    What everyone says is great. Also definitely pull up the bottom thread with the needle before sewing as the directions say. I normal spin the wheel by hand.

I had the same thing happen last night. On the third try I discovered a different color thread tangled into the bottom. It was a color I hadn't used in months. God knows where it was hiding down there. I'd cleaned and lubed the machine before this starting project.

Hammock
    Custom 11.5' 1.6 Hyper D Gathered
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    re-thread the machine. After you thread the needle, are you turning the wheel to lower the needle so it grabs the lower thread? If not, this is your issue. Once the lower thread is grabbed by the needle, return the needle to the top position and use something to slide under the needle and pull out the bottom thread all of the way. Take both threads and pull out about 6" towards the back. You should be good to go from there. If this is not the issue, hold onto both threads when you start sewing, then adjust the tension if that doesn't work... my $.02

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    And...when you are threading the machine, make sure the presser foot is "up." This lets the thread slip between the disks that regulate the top tension. When you lower the foot to start sewing, the disks then squeeze together to create the tension for sewing. If you don't do this, the thread may not get positioned between the disks properly. Hope this helps. G-Nut
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I tried tightening the top tension and was able to run about a foot of nice stitches in some test fabric, then I stopped. I wanted to make sure I could duplicate it, but when I went to pull the bottom thread through for the next attempt, it never came out - the needle would just go up and down without ever grabbing the bottom thread. Is it too tight now? The presser foot doesn't have to be down for that, does it?

Thanks for all your patience!

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    I tried tightening the top tension and was able to run about a foot of nice stitches in some test fabric, then I stopped. I wanted to make sure I could duplicate it, but when I went to pull the bottom thread through for the next attempt, it never came out - the needle would just go up and down without ever grabbing the bottom thread. Is it too tight now? The presser foot doesn't have to be down for that, does it?

Thanks for all your patience!
    No, the presser foot does not need to be down for the top thread to loop the bobbin thread. Try this--remove the needle plate or whatever plate is above your bobbin. Slowly turn hand wheel and observe the needle and thread going down thru the plate and the hook that catches it near the bobbin. If this is not happening, then the machine timing might be a bit off. Again, just slowly turn the handwheel and observe what is happening down in the bobbin area. Report back with what you observe. This will help us to be better informed and able to advise you on a path forward.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    No, the presser foot does not need to be down for the top thread to loop the bobbin thread. Try this--remove the needle plate or whatever plate is above your bobbin. Slowly turn hand wheel and observe the needle and thread going down thru the plate and the hook that catches it near the bobbin. If this is not happening, then the machine timing might be a bit off. Again, just slowly turn the handwheel and observe what is happening down in the bobbin area. Report back with what you observe. This will help us to be better informed and able to advise you on a path forward.
    On a related note, the presser foot DOES need to be down to engage the tension discs for the UPPER THREAD (not the bobbin thread). If you raise and lower the presser foot and watch the tension discs while doing it you might be able to see pressure applied/relieved on them as you actuate the presser foot. Just wanted to make sure it was clear and you understand...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Check 2 things related to the bobbin. Make sure it is installed properly and make sure there is a reasonable tail sticking out loose. 4 - 6" is easily enough. Not much more than that though. If you have changed the needle make sure that is installed properly. Your latest issue is NOT a tension issue so don't go messing with any of that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Here is a link to the 99K's threading instructions. I know it has been mentioned before, but you might to try re-threading and go step-by-step per the instructions. That might help narrow the scope on where the problem may lie.

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast