Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Retired, no bills. So there is a little wiggle room in my budget. Just spacing my purchases out every month.

You didn't suggest that I make the CL's, just use some. I was a volunteer firefighter for 33 years and certified rope rescue technician...so fiddling with rope doesn't scare me. Yes, Amsteel is a lot smaller than ropes used for rescue, but in my paying job I worked with CAT 5e/CAT 6 and fiber optic so I figure I can handle it. Saw online how to make CL's with Amsteel and figured "hey...I can do that!"
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I know the feeling. Made a few buys myself only learning what I ordered afterwards, hehe. (For example I ordered my uq thinking 67 and 90 were colour codes, pure luck I got what I wanted haha)
    Exactly!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    Retired, no bills. So there is a little wiggle room in my budget. Just spacing my purchases out every month.

You didn't suggest that I make the CL's, just use some. I was a volunteer firefighter for 33 years and certified rope rescue technician...so fiddling with rope doesn't scare me. Yes, Amsteel is a lot smaller than ropes used for rescue, but in my paying job I worked with CAT 5e/CAT 6 and fiber optic so I figure I can handle it. Saw online how to make CL's with Amsteel and figured "hey...I can do that!"
    Well then, you obviously ain't just averagely handy with such things. You're right; you can do it, and you'll manage it quite handily. Success to you!

My hint: Be certain that your C.L.'s, WITH carabiners, end well within your tarp's ridgeline triangle rings. That is to say, simply, that their combined length does NOT exceed your tarps coverage along the ridgeline.
    Otherwise:
    1)You're gonna face problems with aggressive water shooting down your rigging. No good. You want some length UNDER your tarp to hang a dripline or two on your Rallt straps BEFORE your 'biners. Follow??

2)You're gonna be facing the matter of attaching your Hennessy prussiks to your Amsteel C.L.'s instead of to your Rallt straps; Amsteel's too slick for that work. Your prussiks will be forever gently drifting towards the tension and letting your tarp down.

I don't know you, but I do know me; and I know I wouldn't want to be making my C.L.'s three times, to make them right once.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    You're gonna be facing the matter of attaching your Hennessy prussiks to your Amsteel C.L.'s instead of to your Rallt straps
    Nope. My Rallt straps have multiple attachment points, so I've been setting up my tarp on it's own position on the Rallt strap first (will keep my hammock dry in the event I'm setting up in bad weather) then attaching the hammock suspension on the next attachment point down on the strap. I'm not a gram weenie (yet) so the added weight to the set up is of no concern.
    IMG_2262.jpg

Now this is an old set up I don't use anymore, but you can see the tarp line is on top going to the Nite Ize Figure 9 (black line) and the hammock suspension goes to the carabiner (white/black line) on the next attachment point down. Now I use the Figure 9 because 1.) I had extras and 2.) it makes it easy to adjust the tension of the tarp ridge line and lock it into place.

Like I said, none of this is going into a backpack anytime soon so it is mostly car-camping right now or short walks to the hanging area where I don't mind a few trips back & forth to the truck. Once I'm fit enough to hike then I will re-address EVERYTHING as weight then comes into play. Cancer has a way of kicking you in the nads to get your attention and the chemo after effects suck. Still recovering one year later. So for now I don't mind the extra hardware...it makes it easier for me.

I think it's the rope rescue experience in me where it was beat into my head about using several different attachment points, several different anchor points to eliminate single point of failure. Will have to shake that out of my head once I backpack again!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk ultralight
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfiters
    Insulation
    15 deg. Bag and UQ
    Suspension
    Daisychain / biner
    Images
    I always use a full sleeping bag in my hammock along with an uq. I put a ground cloth under my hammock so that I can get in my sleeping bag outside my hammock and save the stress of rolling around in my hammock trying to get the sleeping bag in the correct position. it seems to work great!

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I always use a full sleeping bag in my hammock
    I tried that the first time I used my hammock. Let's just say the sleeping bag & me in the hammock didn't get along. It was like a WWE match all night.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I hope you're still not using the Figure 9s to keep the hammock suspension rings from slipping. If that's the case, the Figure 9s are load bearing, which they're not designed to do.

I'm personally none too keen on having my tarp attached to my hammock ridgeline. When I had a Hennessy, I dumped that idea tout de suite.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I hope you're still not using the Figure 9s to keep the hammock suspension rings from slipping.
    You must have missed the part where I said I don't use this set up anymore. The rings didn't work out with that thinner HH suspension line.

I was just illustrating how I have my tarp set up NOT connected to my HH suspension. Keeping them separate is just something I choose to do.

Hammock
    Still looking...
    Tarp
    Looking
    I have a deep jungle xl zip and got a monsoon with it and at least with the monsoon cat tarp I hung independant of my hammock with simple knots, had it out with two blankets an old sleeping bag I opened flat and two pillows and double bubble pad, now I'm a hot sleeper and was fine in Dec. Down to 12 degrees woke at 4am with a cbs so I just moved the bottom blanket more and repositions the pillow at my feet, to stop the cold from coming up my legs lol...first real hammock other than a double nest and I probably will never use a tent again as long as I get a uq. Doublebubble is OK but uq will be much better I think I can wait on the tq. BONUS...survived a 6 inch snow too lol...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12