Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    My daughter has one and I've slept in it a couple of times. I'm a newbie so keep that in mind. I'm one to buy high quality outdoor equipment and I can say it seemed like a very high quality hammock. There are a couple of different and interesting features which I feel sets it somewhat apart. The bug netting is suspended from above and unzipps on both sides all the way to the top suspension line. In hot weather you can roll it up and tie it to the line. It also has a seperate solid piece of cloth that zipps right over the bug netting and is waterproof. (pretty sure the zippers aren't) I would imagine that would also serve to hold in quite a bit of heat and eliminate drafts. The other nice thing is that it has several quite large pockets on the underside which can be used for storage and/or insulation. In a pinch I could imagine stuffing leaves in there for additional insulation. It also has interior pockets and hanging loops. I had a problem with the netting being too close to my face. I did see an easy fix in the Whiteblaze Picture Gallery. It was a piece of a coat hanger cut so that it could hook into the zippers and act as a spreader bar....simple and effective. It's also on the pricey side. In short...a really high quality piece of equipment with some nice features. One last note...I slept like a baby in the Clark...it's what got me out of a tent and into a hammock. Having said that...I bought two Tom Claytor Jungle Hammocks which has everything I THINK I want/need at a very nice price.

Miguel
    It's been a while since my above post and I no longer consider myself a newbie. I thought I'd add the fact that my daughter loves the Clark in general but loathes the tarp. We literally could not figure how to attach it without instructions. We ordered the Sportsman's Guide 9*9 tarp and she's now a much happier camper. The one nice heature I like about the Clark is the silnylon that can be zipped over the bug netting which eliminates any drafts. In the model she owns the pockets don't cover the entire bottom of the hammock so filling them would give spotty protection at best. My daughter uses a Thermarest and seems to be happy with it.

Miguel

Miguel

Images

Clark Pockets and foam

I cut up a Wal-Mart 1/2" blue pad last night and put the appropriate sized piece in each pocket. I had to close the Velcro stays at the top of each pocket to keep the pads from popping out when I got into the hammock. But once secured the pads in the first two rows of pockets pressed against my body as if I were on top of them inside the hammock. And they wrapped around my shoulders as the pockets go nearly all the way to the top of the hammock.

The third row pockets had an inch of space near the top sides of the pocket but seemed to be pressed against the side of my thighs closer to the bottom of each side of the hammock.

I didn't check the middle of the bag to see how mush space was created between the end pieces of the pad, but I'm assuming that could be resolved by cutting longer pieces, although there will probably always be an inch or two of separation because of the seams separating the pockets.

This effect may be because of my weight and size - I have broad shoulders, 6'3" and 260 lbs

Clark Hammock Info

There is a small but growing forum of loyal clark owners on yahoo groups. clark-hammocks is the name of the group.
    Hope that helps

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I can not think of anything eles to use other than my clark it has done so well in cold weather 30F so far and I have been in driving rain with 20-30 mph wind the last two night its rained hard I mean hard we had 2 1/2 monday night another 1 inch last night and it's raining tonight and temps are suppose to be down around 40F tonight. I think that I have had mine almost two weeks now and have slept one night in the house since I have got it.

My girlfreind thinks I have lost my mind I have spent 4 nights away from the house and the rest of the time has been in the back yard. I have only used a cheap Sam's Club sleeping bag and if i was guessing it would be somewhere around a 40 F to 50 F bag and underarmer boxer underwear every night so far. Last weekend I slept with bug sheild only and it held in enough heat that I had to open it around 2am after the bugs had went to sleep I have not slept a night in it with bug sheild and weather sheild zipped up yet.

I have a XL rain fly that at first I did'nt think was going to be big enough and really thought about buying a Cat Cut Tarp of somekind but after last weekend I think it will work just fine even for cooking under in the rain.

I am still going to but a MacCat tarp for my son's hammock but for my Clark I am fine with the XL Maybe next year I will get my son a Clark North American for his birthday but until then he can still use his hammock and a cat tarp.

Like some have posted already they pricey but well worth it with the extra pocket's on the bottom and two types of material for the main hammock those mossie have not been able to get me at all.

The weight of it is 3lbs and some odd oz's but that is still less than my two man backpacking tent from kelty even with the four aluminum steaks that I carry for tie out's this past weekend I used all 4 of them part of the day I used just two and tied the other to to tree limbs during the day.

Other poster's here have talked about the two pocket's on the inside they say you can put a pistol in them not that I carry a pistol all the time but I put a 40 cal glock in one the other it would'nt fit in but it is big enought to put head lamp and mp3 player in it and i put a small line across the top of it to hold my glasses or to clip head lamp to so I can read before bed. The real nice thing is it's got handle at the head end that you can hold on too to pull yourself up with if you need too.

I am 6' 3 or 4 feet tall and fit good in it I weigh somewhere around 240 to 250and it hold's me just fine. Someone metioned something about useing a coat hanger to use like a small spreader bar to hold bug screen open a bit more and I have done that as well it work's out great and i just put it in my pack along with the hammock the ENO slapstraps and beaners all in the stuff sac that comes with it. it takes about 3 minutes to set up and I could do if faster if I really want too but in general I can do it in about 3 minutes every time. I have put it up and taken it down some 20 times now and even put the rain fly up first to do it in the rain to keep me dry while setting the rest of it up.

I can not wait to see colder weather down in the teens or lower because I truely think that I can get by with just a good 0 degree bag and that is it no pad's no stuff in the pocket which is what they say you can do with the six pocket under the hammock. But if I cant I always have the pockets to stuff to keep warm.

It is a side loader/top loader from eighter side which I like I like to have options and this hammock affords many.

So if you can get past the priceyness ( is that a word ) I think anyone who would buy one with in the limits of the hammock would be really happy with what they got and if you are not you can return it in a set time not really sure about how long they will let you try it but you can return it.

I spoke to Gary Clark the owner several time's before I bought mine looked on this forum to see what people where talking about called 3 other hammock manufacter before I made my purchase.

I am not by any means and expert on hammocks this is the first 4 season hammock I have bought but I can with out a doubt say it is the finest hammock I have ever seen. I have seen and layed in several of the others out there and they wont even compete with it.

Just my .5 cents worth and hope whom ever buys one the best of luck and likes there as much as I do mine.

Images
    I agree with cavediver2 about the Clark - except I am more comfortable in a Claytor Jungle hammock. I gave the Clark to my son, who is only 5'11" and it fits him perfectly. I have already made a weathershield for the Claytor that has the same function as the weathershield for the Clark. The only thing i miss are the outside storage pockets.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7

Talking New to the party...

but, hardly new to hammock camping...I've been hanging out in hammocks, some of which I constructed myself, since 1970. When I returned to the States in 1987 I spent the first few years in tents...it wasn't long before I went looking for a decent camping hammock. Being poor, my first was the Byer-of-Maine Moskito used with a GoLite Cave 1 (or 2 if the weather really sucked) tarp...I must laugh when I read about complaints about the number of tie-outs on some of your set-ups because the Cave has 10!...when I originally started using hammocks I weighed around 160 although later grew to 180...the zipper connecting the mosquito net to the tent body tore on the Moskito...when I wrote to the company to suggest changes to avoid this I was sent a new replacement which I thought decent...I've had decent nights at 36F using a Thermarest backpackerlite full length pad, Golite Fur quilt and wearing silk longjohns...

Then I got tongue cancer and lost, oh, about 60 pounds which is a permanent loss...I am 5'7" and now weigh 110 pounds...obviously I don't have to consider weight limit on hammocks...

I was give an Eagles Nest hammock by the owner a few years ago at a canoe/kayak trade show I regularly attend in Madison, WO, Canoecopia...it's a nice hammock but I didn't want to mess with adding his separate mosquito net and tarp...first, the entire thing was not cheap and second, it was pretty heavy....

However, I am a gear gluten so when I could afford it, bought a Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker Asym...man, I loved the way that hammock looked and the snakeskins were so cool...however, since I sleep cold, sideways and don't like my face buried in hammock material, I always used the Thermarest pad. I wanted more storage under the hammock for warmth so added the under and over covers, the later only for temps below freezing...both are a pain to add and remove as you must take the hammock down to add them...and I didn't find the pad that comes with the undercover warm enough to forgo the Thermarest...anyway, I left the undercover permanently on as to store clothes and boots...loaded, the set-up looked like a pregnant whale as the undercover is one, long unit attached by elastic at either ends...then I found the original tarp did not protect me much in driving, side-ways rains coming off of Lake Superior and was certainly hard to live and cook under so I had to bring one of my GoLite tarps...adding all the weights up I certainly moved away from anything I'd call "light"...plus, in order to use the hammock as a chair, you gotta have it empty...this was not very practical...

So, last week-end on a 3-day backpacking trip, with typical Michigan UP fall weather, temps from the low 40's at night with wind-driven rain, I decided to forgo the Hennessy and return to the fidgety Moskito/Cave tarp set-up...I was the envy of not a few of my fellow backpackers as I sat dry and comfy above the soaked ground cooking my dinner, looking at the view...

I returned from this trip knowing what I wanted in a hammock...entry from both sides to account for wind shifts, a tarp big enough to live under without 80,000 tie-outs, smaller pockets under the hammock to hold gear and add warmth rather than one, big pocket that won't hold a lot of weight without serious sag, I like inside pockets, the ability to add an inside ridge line and netting that folds out of the way. When I saw the Weather Shield offered by Clark's North American model, I knew I had found my match. The weight is about the same as the Hennessy when you added all the accessories I use...yes, it IS expensive but then Hennessy, when bought new with all the accessories, is $364...I put it up for sale on one of the backpacking forums I frequent and it sold in hours at $250...since the Clark's NA with the XL tarp is $309 with shipping, I think I did good...

I will add my review of the Clark North American to this thread...I've got the large snakeskins so think I will see how they work with it before I send them and the rest of the Hennessy, off to it's new owner...I do love snakeskins...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    mataharihiker & other new members, if you don't mind the drive & are free, there is a small group planning to get together in nov at red river gorge, KT.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1311
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    ...since the Clark's NA with the XL tarp is $309 with shipping, I think I did good...
    I'm sure you'll be happy with the Clark NA - but the XL tarp is a misnomer. You will want a bigger tarp if you plan on using your hammock tarp for anything other than protecting you while in the hammock.

I bought two Clark's - one for my son and one for me. Mine was returned becaue I'm more comfortable in a Claytor - I'm 6'3", 250 lbs and I felt that the Clark was a little too short and a little to narrow for me. The Claytor is much more comfortable. My son, who is 5'11", loves the Clark. I'll miss the Clark's great features - the double sided entry, built in stuff sack, outside storage pockets, and weather shield - but sleeping comfortably is more important. (When I called Clark to get the return info they said they had a larger hammock in the works and it should be on the matket within a year.)

My son's only complaint about the Clark was when we were in a torrential downpour and there was little or no room to manuver around under the Clark XL tarp. The tarp kept him and the hammock dry but not much else. Earlier today I dropped off some walmart $1/yd ripstop waterproof poyester with a seamstress to have a 12 x 12 tarp made for my son.

The XL tarp on the Claytor offers a little more room but isn't much larger and I would buy one of the camo "neo" 12 x 12 sportsman guide tarps if they were still being sold.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I'm 5'7" and weigh 110...the tarp may work for me...I like to sit in the hammock and cook under the tarp...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I'm 5'7" and weigh 110...the tarp may work for me...I like to sit in the hammock and cook under the tarp...
    given your hight and weight you are going to really like the Clark.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast