Thread: Underquilt DIY?

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Underquilt DIY?

Ok. So far, here's what I know about making underquilts..

Now that we got that out of the way.. For someone who knows his way around a sewing machine, how hard is it realistically to diy an underquilt?

I'm looking on ripstop by the roll and I can make 2 30* underquilts for around $150, so I'm motivated to try it out. Just wondering from someone who has been down that road, if its worth the time and headaches to do it myself.
    -Jason-

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    An apex underquilt isn't too difficult. If you don't have much sewing experience I'd make a hammock first before tackling a quilt. It's an easy way to learn the necessary skills before tackling a more expensive project.

I'm assuming you are talking about climashield apex at that price point of course. A down underquilt isn't super difficult, but it is tedious, and you'll learn the skills easier doing hammocks, tarps, and synthetic quilts first. I say this having just finished my first down top quilt, and starting a down under quilt.

Hammock
    11' Dutch, Yukon, ENO, and more
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    multiple setups
    Images
    I picked up roll ends of both the fabric and the climashield apex from "Ripstop by the Roll"...managed to make 2 UQs for less than $50, a full length for me and a 3/4 for one of the grandkids to use. Now I just have to run the cording thru the channels and finish them up before our next camping trip this April.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dink712 View Post
    I picked up roll ends of both the fabric and the climashield apex from "Ripstop by the Roll"...managed to make 2 UQs for less than $50, a full length for me and a 3/4 for one of the grandkids to use. Now I just have to run the cording thru the channels and finish them up before our next camping trip this April.
    Nice!
    -Jason-

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    The initial question is whether you want to do it "quick and easy" or "fitted and difficult." Sewing a flat UQ and expecting it to fit to the complex curves of a hammock is easy. Conforming it to the true shape of the underside of a hammock with a human in it is hard.

Probably the main thing in my mind is the differential curving so that the "top" material fits close and tight to the hammock and that the "bottom" material hangs loose so it doesn't crush the insulating material in the middle.

I did it the hard way. Twice. Takes a ton of patience, calculation, and trial and error.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    A cs quilt is relitively easy. There are several threads on here outlining the process.
    I agree with the others I would make a hammock and a stuff bag or two before tackling it just to get honed in before dealing with $100 in material. The best advise I can give is to use lots of pins. CS likes to change shape.

I've done a down UQ and a CS UQ - they're both manageable, of course the down version takes more time and patience. If you're at all familiar with sewing or know someone who is, a CS underquilt is *almost* as easy as making a standard pillow. The only exception is that you need to add the channels which is as easy as running a hem. It's really straightforward - a few potential gotcha's, but nothing you won't be able to fix.

Here is a 5oz CS UQ I recently made for my daughter. We just walked in the door from testing it out in the backyard (it works great). Total cost was ~$60 w/shipping.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-for-Daughter

Of all the quilt projects, I think a CS UQ is probably the most straightforward and very achievable with basic sewing skills.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks guys this has helped a ton. I'm going to order some material and some extra material and make some stuff sacks and other odds and ends to get used to the fabric before I tackle the uq. I'll post pictures when I'm done.
    -Jason-

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I had no sewing experience before making 2 table cloth hammocks for my kids. My next project was a down UQ. If you plan it and take your time it's not too difficult.

• + New Posts