Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images

Might need more amsteel

To get directly to the question... generally speaking, how much amsteel do you guys recommend for crafting whoopie slings for hammock suspension? I have a sinking feeling that I may not have ordered quite enough amsteel. Here's the story as it goes:

Since I started getting into hammocks and also discussing the topic with my brother, he started looking into other hammock related stuff, and found some hammock chair made by a guy in Canada who goes by the name "Jeep". I think Jeep is a HF member, but I don't know if he's currently active on here. Anyhow, Jeep doesn't include any cordage for suspension when he sells these hammock chairs, so my brother came to me about what to use. I see a lot of talk about using amsteel on here, so I told him he should get some of that. Not being completely familiar with the stuff myself, (probably should've done more homework on amsteel & whoopies beforehand) I set him up with an order of 20 feet worth of amsteel 7/64, initially thinking that'd be enough. Would this amount work, or are we going to need more? It's going to be hooking up to a marlin spike hitch on some 9 ft tree straps.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    ONE CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH AMSTEEL.....................!

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I usually use 25' to make whoopies. That gives me one pair with a range of about 2'-6'. If I only had 20feet, then I would make UCRs. They require less amsteel to make and are lighter. They work just as well and maybe better.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-an-UCR/page4
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    16.5' of Amsteel makes a Whoopie adjustable from ~1.5'- 8'. That's considering an 8" bury plus 2.5" fixed loop at one end. MIne have ~7.5" static space between where the tail comes out of the bury ant the fixed loop.

If you cut 20' in half, you have 10" (120")to work with on each sling.

A 2" fixed eye at one end takes about 16" of cordage. 4" for the loop and 12" for the bury. So, you have 104" left.

An 8" bury for the whoopie takes ~16" of cordage. That leaves 88".

It the tail has a end splice of 1.5", that uses 3" of cordage which leaves you with ~85" for the adjustable end.

85" loop will be 42.5" linear length.

So, (2" fixed loop + 6" bury)+(8"whoopie bury)=16" at it's shortest if the tail comes out right by the fixed loop's bury.

And, 16"+42.5"=58.5"(4.875') at it's longest.

They will be a few inches shorter because the buries inherently shorten the cord about 25% of the length of the buries and you loose a little when you larkshead the fixed en around something.

Can make them longer by removing some of the adjust-ability. You can gain an inch in between the buries, but the min-max goes from 16"-58.5" to 17"-59". You have a net gain in length of 1/2" for every inch you put between the two buries and you lose 1/2" in the range of adjust-ability.

You can also get extra inches here an there by shortening buries and loops, but I wouldn't suggest it myself for the few extra inches you may get.

So, to answer your question: It really depends on how big and far apart your trees are and how long your hammock is. A 1' diameter tree will use about 3' of your strap, 2' diameter tree will take 6.25' and 3' diameter will about 9.5'.

If my whoopies where 5', I would take something extra in case I needed to lengthen my suspension.

Personally, I would feel better having either longer tree straps or whoopies unless I was familiar with the camp spot and knew I wouldn't need it. I have 8" straps and 8" whoopies and have never had to use them at the ends though.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    I usually use 25' to make whoopies. That gives me one pair with a range of about 2'-6'. If I only had 20feet, then I would make UCRs. They require less amsteel to make and are lighter. They work just as well and maybe better.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-an-UCR/page4
    I like that suggestion. Never heard of though. Very nice. I may switch to this.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    You should probably just order the 600' roll. Whoopies are addictive and nobody makes just one.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    With shipping cost just order a couple hundred feet. It will get used.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    2" loop taking 16" of line? Using a locked brummel I only use about 6-8" on line for that.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    2" loop taking 16" of line? Using a locked brummel I only use about 6-8" on line for that.
    4" for the loop. 6" inside the constriction and 6" of constriction. I wrote it that way for math purposes to show how much line it takes for the non-adjustable end and what's leftover for the whoopie and adjustable loop.

Might need more amsteel

Everyone on here is spot-on. Jedi has a perfect breakdown of all the appropriate lengths, and everyone else nailed it- order at LEAST 100'. The stuff is inexpensive and addictive to play with!
    (I buy all mine from Dutch)

This guy has an awesome video that shows all the lengths right out in front of you:

https://youtu.be/KtJGTgpv4dc

If this link doesn't work just search YouTube for Ian Young whoopie slings.

Happy Splicing
    J
    -Northwest True-
    "Cuz if you don't do stuff in the rain... You don't do stuff"

Here in the Pacific Northwest we know 3 things; Coffee. Beer. Rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast