Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
Thanks Pan. I knew you guys would have done what needs to be done, i.e. make the UQ wide enough so that the gap is above the body. The gap, perhaps small, but extant nevertheless, has to be there. 'tis simple mechanics.

Grizz
So, what is your opinion about the effect, if any, of this gap? Could it possibly or at least theoretically decrease performance? Now in my experience if the quilt is adjusted even close to correctly, it is then going to be snug up against all areas of my back side. I really have no way of telling about the legs, but it looks pretty close and they have always been warm so far.

But what about the areas out slightly to the side? Say shoulders or elbows or behind/back if on your side? It would seem these areas might not be under full load from your body, and therefore the hammock in that area might not make tight contact with the quilt. So potentially some cold air could get between the quilt and those body parts. But there woiuld still be enough load to compress a down top quilt.

But if the above is not even a reasonable possibility, there is no need to waste time using Grip Clips and shock cord- even though the weight increase is miniscule- to close that small gap.

I have not been able to get any one else to lay in it while I try to observe for the above "problem". And it's not like I have actually ever had a cold spot in use, even well below 20. ( although, I probably always used my extra shock cord) But that doesn't mean that the UQ could not be even a few degrees warmer than it already is. That is, if there is actually any potential for a problem as described above.

This is just some theory to be curious about as far as this always warm UQ goes. And the others that work in a similar fashion. But, I am convinced it is a potential problem using a quilt where minor mis-adjustment could allow for even a small gap. Then any side( or end) gaps become more important. And it is why I have always found a pod approach to seemingly be much less sensitive to gaps. A gap still gives you more air that must be heated with your body. But, a pod is "sealed" pretty much all the way around and over the hammock edges, even if the pod is open quite a bit on top. Which greatly hinders the rush of cold air down the sides to fill any gap.