Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings

First Time Winter Hammock Camping with No UQ - Options??

I am taking the Scouts on their winter camp out next weekend. The temperatures are forecasted to be around 17F. I am playing with the idea trying out my hammock but I do not have an under quilt. I do not have time to DIY a UQ as i was planning and I do not want to purchase a Snugpak Under Blanket. Can I stay warm with CCF pads and a suitable sleeping bag? I would take a large enough tarp to go low to the ground and be able to create doors. I might be able to crank out a hammock sock as well. What are my options with little time and little $$ or should i just go to ground? Thanks

Images
    Do you have time to try your current kit in your backyard? That is the only way to get an idea of how things will work.
    You might look into hand warmers in the hammock and the hot water bottle trick.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    No tree in the yard so no go there. I know I am taking a risk with this being my first time and all. This will be car camping so worst case I set up the tent or sleep in the truck.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    I just remembered I also have an insulated air sleeping pad.I might be able to make a segmented pad extender and add both the CCF pad and insulated sleeping pad like Shug explains in his videos.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-s / ENO DN
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Habanero 10*
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I would suggest a second sleeping bag, good wool socks, and a hat to sleep in. At 17* tent camping is a challenge to stay warm. If hammock is close to ground, use leaves underneath as a barrier.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Yes. An UQ is not necessarily warmer than pads, especially ccf. I use ccf exclusively in subzero temps (no UQ). I concur with others it is best to try your system first though. This is true even with an UQ. If you cannot test first, then at least with pads you can always go to ground if your system was inadequate.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutch Poly D
    Tarp
    WallyWorld DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Whatever it takes
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Without being able to try it out before you go, err on the side of caution. By all means take what setup you have. But since you're car camping and weight won't be an issue, bring a backup you know works for you at those temps plus some extra (forecasts around here can be deceiving ). Might even be able to add an extra lesson for the boys on always being prepared!
    That may be your serious face, but I can't take you seriously with it on. -- Puppet, The Upside Down Show

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    It's not impossible I took Walmart Blue pad, cut it in half to the length of my torso, cut it again longwise and tied 2 panels to another Walmart blue pad. Then, I put my outer jacket under, thin Thermarest inflatable on top of that blue pad, worn all my inner clothes inside 15F Kelty Lightyear sleeping bag, rolled square Cabelas sleeping pag around me like a blanket and was quite comfortable all the way. Would it not be -20F, I might skip the last piece altogether.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Yes. An UQ is not necessarily warmer than pads, especially ccf. I use ccf exclusively in subzero temps (no UQ). I concur with others it is best to try your system first though. This is true even with an UQ. If you cannot test first, then at least with pads you can always go to ground if your system was inadequate.
    Agree! I have both a blue ccf pad and an under quilt rated to 30 and the ccf is warmer. Sleeping in 17 is no joke though so I'd be well prepared.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can make your own simple segmented pad extender pretty easily from 1 trip to Walmart . You need two pads, a grommet kit from the camping section and a few zip ties or lite string. Take the second pad and cut it to your desired length/width for your shoulders. Put grommets in both pads at the appropriate locations. Zip tie or use string to tie the extensions, or wings, together. It works great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast