ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Maybe I'm doing this all wrong. Do most guys leave the CRL attached to the tarp?
    Heh, I was doing the same thing and was thinking about switching to something else, too. Never thought about leaving it on the tarp!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I'm the odd man out...

I pack all my cordage with the stakes. I like to put up the ridge line and then attach the tarp to it.
    I do the same.. stakes, ridge line and suspension all go in a separate sack. Tie-outs stay attached to the tarp. Ridge line goes up and tarp gets connected there-after.

I'm not getting why it would help to attach a mini-biner to a soft shackle for attaching the tarp? Seems redundant. School me please..

To the OP.. I have two dutch tarp clips (mini biners) attached to the ridge line.. one on the fixed eye and one on the prussik.. pretty much standard fare. I've been looking at soft shackles to replace the biners, for no real reason other than fun of making stuff since the mini-biners seem to work fine. The prussik, on the other hand, is not favorite ridge line component, but that would be for another thread..

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I'm not getting why it would help to attach a mini-biner to a soft shackle for attaching the tarp? Seems redundant. I've been looking at soft shackles as a way to replace the mini-biner.
    The mini-biner is much easier for many of us to open/close as compared to a 1.75mm soft shackle, especially in cold weather. It is a bit redundant with a soft shackle, but you could use a 1.75mm CL prussic'ed to the ridge line for clipping in to instead of a soft shackle.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    The mini-biner is much easier for many of us to open/close as compared to a 1.75mm soft shackle, especially in cold weather. It is a bit redundant with a soft shackle, but you could use a 1.75mm CL prussic'ed to the ridge line for clipping in to instead of a soft shackle.
    Yes, I can see the soft shackle in DynaGlide/ZingIt or the like, being a challenge. I fumble with 7/64 soft shackles. Having said that, I am REALLY struggling with the Ti tarp clips from Dutch. Small and light, yes. But the wire bail is really challenging to work with or without gloves.

As noted, I am considering the DynaGlide soft shackle in place of the prussik/biner, but can't really see the benefit other than to satisfy an unfounded urge to be hardware-free.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 02-07-2016 at 16:09.

Guys,
    What are other options are there to connect a tarp to the CRL other than the TATO connectors?
    I use Loop Aliens.

I also hang my ridge line first, then connect the tarp to the ridge line.

I tried the prussic loop, and didn't like them at all. Too hard to adjust when cold out, and couldn't get the tarp as tight as I wanted.

The Loop Aliens make it extremely easy to center your tarp over your hammock, even with gloves on.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu
    I am not sure how your soft shackles are constructed but when I make mine I add a "leash" or a "breaker". It allows you to open the shackle quickly. Adding a leash to a soft shackle is easy and can be done on existing shackles.

-Open your shackle as far as you can
    -Use a fid (or a pencil or whatever you have) to open a hole in the braid
    -Thread a small diameter line through the opening (I use braided dacron fishing line made for trolling, 20-30 lb test is more than enough)
    -Pull enough through so that both ends of your thread are a couple inches beyond your stopper knot
    -Now milk the shackle closed
    -Now tie a knot in your leash so you have a tail of about an inch or more
    -You can simply pull back on this leash to open the shackle

I know this is almost impossible to understand. Here is a link to a video that shows how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH66tGsWv_Y . Skip to about the 7:15 mark in the video for the leash installation. This is not my video, just a good demo I found on Youtube.

This adds almost zero weight to the shackle and makes it much easier to handle. If you leave the leash long enough you can even use it with gloves on. I hope this helps.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've tried the leash technique on 7/64 and it bound up.. Didn't do anything useful. So I removed it. My soft shackles aren't a full bury so they aren't that hard to open.

I'm not understanding how you guys are using soft shackles in combination with a prusik. Are just looping the shackle through the prusik loop and the tarp ? How do you avoid loosing the soft shackle?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

I have the leashes on 7/64" Amsteel and like them a lot, but I'm not sure how they would do on 1.75mm Zing-It for a tarp-ridgeline application.

I have 3-4 soft shackles prussic'ed to my SRL for things like positioning my organizer or whatever might come up - once prussic'ed on they stay pretty tight, I haven't lost any yet.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    .....I have 3-4 soft shackles prussic'ed to my SRL for things like positioning my organizer or whatever might come up - once prussic'ed on they stay pretty tight, I haven't lost any yet.
    Any chance you can post a picture of how the soft shackles re prusik' on?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Guys,
    Got out on Friday to test my new setup and new Continuous Ridge line from DutchWare. It was still cool and I had a hard time opening the Lash-It soft shackles to connect them to the tarp. What are other options are there to connect a tarp to the CRL other than the TATO connectors?
    Make a prusik on the RL for both ends of the tarp. Use a #1 S-biner to attach the tarp to the prusiks.

You may be able to just use the soft shackles for prusiks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik

For the small stuff, you may need to wrap it 5 times to get it to hold well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast