Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jetblackstar View Post
    Hey Kyle do I have another day (from now) to get in on the discount? Trying to organised a UK group buy (just two of us right now).

Shipping is a killer

Sale price will be good a little while longer.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    UK Hammocks Woodsman X Single layer
    Insulation
    UKHammocks Full UQ
    Suspension
    DutchCinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    we've been redoing all of our shipping lately with USPS price increases. The international went up something like 20% on average unfortunately. Some weights still need to be updated, which is probably inflating the cost shown. Should be squared away tomorrow.
    That might explain why the free thread made the shipping jump from $35 to $50.50. Lol
    Quite happy to skip the free thread if it's that heavy ;D

I would recommend a minor amount of cat cut for Membrane silpoly. I'm making my first tarp from it this week, so we'll see. Unless the fabric has almost no bias stretch, I think you still need some cat cut to get a nice tight pitch every time.

For the PU4000 materials, I think you could argue they aren't needed.
    Interesting. I was going to go without cats based on my experience with silpoly gen 2. Maybe I'll try 1/2" per 1' on the sides only. I guess the doors are fine cut straight.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Insulation
    UKHammocks Full UQ
    Suspension
    DutchCinch Buckles
    we've been redoing all of our shipping lately with USPS price increases. The international went up something like 20% on average unfortunately. Some weights still need to be updated, which is probably inflating the cost shown. Should be squared away tomorrow.
    Are the shipping weights all sorted?
    Just about to order but just want to be sure it's the right shipping price. International shipping is a killer

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Are the shipping weights all sorted?
    Just about to order but just want to be sure it's the right shipping price. International shipping is a killer
    Not quite but go ahead and order so we can get it out for you today. Put a note about the shipping and we'll handle it.
    - Kyle

Hammock
    Insulation
    UKHammocks Full UQ
    Suspension
    DutchCinch Buckles
    Received my order the other day. Went with khaki. Arrived fast for international. Thanks Kyle for sorting the shipping issues out. Watched it eagerly through the USPS tracking.
    Obviously charmed as well because it didn't get hit by customs

After all my faffing over colour turns out that's an awsome colour to blend with british hazel and oak coppice in autumn and winter. Which given I'm making a big tarp this was for.

The fabric is seriously light. Ever so slightly translucent. Lets in light and you can vaguely see your own hand through it with normal daylight.
    Its pretty slippery, but doesn't stretch as advertised.

Not having worked with SilNylon I cant comment on how easy it was to work with compared but I ended up with two neatly paired ends after I did my flat felled seam.
    I certainly found the slippery silicon side to be troublesome but probably way way easier than silnylon.

It's very difficult to distinguish the different sides. I know one side is PU coated and the other silicone. If I remember right Kyle recommends the Silicon on the outside (less shiny). I think I got it right. But I'll be damned if I can tell.

Its weird not seeing the ripstop in the material. I know silpoly gen 2 and above lost any ripstop to allow the coating to form a better waterproofing. It makes it look a weirdly uniform fabric. Also-most like a plastic sheet.

I went for a 3m square tarp with lots of tie outs (so it can be pitched as a hex, or hex with partial doors. No cat cuts.
    It pitches very tight. I've not tried it long term so cant comment on sag. It probably would pitch a lil tigher if it were A) hex B) had some light cat cuts. But I always intended to try square first and add both of those later if I wanted. As long as I pitch one side at a time it seems to go drum tight. So far seems very strong. I've not pulled it too hard yet as it needs more reinforcing stitches.

Total weight at the moment is 435grams (15.3442oz) which includes random 2m guys in weird materials (for now), a long dynameea ridge line with two mini carabiners and some heavy reinforcing. on the central ridge pullouts that I may switch to something lighter.
    Also I went with 1cm grogain ribbon for the outside seams which probably added a fair bit of weight.
    But for a 3x3M tarp that's AWSOME!

I'm dead impressed with this material. couldn't have asked for better.

Hammock
    Insulation
    UKHammocks Full UQ
    Suspension
    DutchCinch Buckles
    Also some pics of it so far (needs more sewing and tie outs)
    IMG_20160211_130044260.jpg

Its weird not seeing the ripstop in the material. I know silpoly gen 2 and above lost any ripstop to allow the coating to form a better waterproofing. It makes it look a weirdly uniform fabric. Also-most like a plastic sheet.
    I received my Forest Green and agree - it's strange not seeing the ripstop grid. However, I have a Green Tea tarp of silpoly gen 2 and it certainly has a ripstop grid. I was a little surprised at first not to see it in the MEMBRANE silpoly, until I recalled that my MEMBRANE 10 didn't have a grid.

I'm also having some trouble determining which side is which with the Forest Green, but I usually have to ask my wife, anyway. It looks like you have a great pitch even without cat cuts, I'm still trying to decide what I will do on the winter tarp I have planned. I'm thinking maybe a slight 3" cat cut on the long sides and call it a day.

I love what you did with the ridge tie outs - I might steal that idea.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I received my Forest Green and agree - it's strange not seeing the ripstop grid. However, I have a Green Tea tarp of silpoly gen 2 and it certainly has a ripstop grid. I was a little surprised at first not to see it in the MEMBRANE silpoly, until I recalled that my MEMBRANE 10 didn't have a grid.

I'm also having some trouble determining which side is which with the Forest Green, but I usually have to ask my wife, anyway. It looks like you have a great pitch even without cat cuts, I'm still trying to decide what I will do on the winter tarp I have planned. I'm thinking maybe a slight 3" cat cut on the long sides and call it a day.

I love what you did with the ridge tie outs - I might steal that idea.
    +jetblackstar..... You both have the 0.93 osy MEMBRANE silpoly which is the exact same on both sides. The PU4000 version is the one with the different sides. Thanks!
    - Kyle

10-4, thanks for straightening me out!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast