Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

First Annual Edmonton Area Polar Bear Hang

MIQUELON LAKE PROVINCIAL PARK
    January 29 - 31, 2016

---------Chapter One: The First Night---------

What a beautiful weekend it was to kick off the first annual Polar Bear Hang in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. With overnight temperatures only dipping to minus twelve degrees Celsius, there was not too much CBS going around I'm sure. Fun was had by all who attended, ( only three of us ) and I'm sure there will be more group hangs to come in this area.
    Friday started off for me fairly hectic, as I had some last minute chores to attend to and also had to pick up groceries, firewood and drive forty minutes to the park. When all the rigamarole was finished in the city, I hit the highway to my friends place to pick up wood. Great surprise to me, he had just finished a batch of cinnamon moonshine of which he gave me a mason jar. After an hour or so of slack jawing, I returned to my white steed and tore off towards my destination.
    Arriving at the park, I noticed that where I initially intended to setup was closed for the season. Like a madman I scoured the open loop of sites for acceptable trees, ever aware of the slow, steady withdrawal of our great Helios. I finally settled on a spot and went about the tasks at hand, but by this time the sun's final light was waning.
    A strong, hot fire was my first priority so, to chopping I went. I split a good amount of dried poplar, leaving the greener pieces to dry around the pit. With my large fixed blade I split even smaller slices and made a couple feather sticks. Some birch bark and shavings were used for kindling of which erupted easily into an essential pyre, what with some careful coaxing formed a gorgeously warm fire.

It was long after the great glow of Sol had descended that I started rigging my abode. I started first with my Simply Light Designs Streamliner, her wondrous curves and folds flowing as I hitched her on the Marlin Spikes. Next came forth the Mount Washington Four by Jacks R Better. Its baffles were bloated before I could say buku, and was dressed in my UQP shortly thereafter. As I returned to stoke the precious warmth, I noticed that the night sky was rather clear, conceding to myriad stars and one brilliant Luna radiating their light upon my lonely camp. Shall I hang top off?
    I ultimately decided to set up my Warbonnet Superfly, using mere Dutchbling to tame her wild camouflaged flaps. Soon, twelve miraculous feet of weather protection had been installed to my sleeping apparatus.
    I settled back, observing my progress and decided to partake in some aforementioned spirits. I dragged out my MSR Pocket Rocket and Ti cookpot, got to boiling some water, and about five minutes later had a handsome cup of apple cider. About twenty after that I was feeling pleasantly warm inside.
    The rest of the night included grilling some smokies on the open fire, a bit more libation, and eventually the crawl into my snug berth, in which I slept peacefully under the frozen luminescence for many hours.

Last edited by snidetripod; 02-01-2016 at 21:38.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Looks like a lot of fun. Love those winter hangs

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

--------Chapter Two: A Grand Night---------

Morning saw me wake with cold feet and an overwhelming urge to pee. I sprung from my cozy refuge into my frozen boots and trudged wearily through my fly's open door. The world had cooled off in the night air and dewpoint was met because my tarp had collected scads of rime throughout my breathy slumber. As I brushed against it, snow began to fall into my hammock. Hesitantly I went to the fire pit. Tufts of smoke still rose from the dying campfire, and I was able to coax some flame with a few pieces of birch bark and kindling. A few minutes later my kettle was boiling and coffee was imminent. With my cup I sat, pondering what the day would bring and growing ever more excited for the arrival of more hangers.
    HangingKayaker was the first to arrive. We exchanged greetings and quickly set to work rooting out a good spot for his setup. We searched to and fro, finally settling on the site next to mine and he got to work hanging his Warbonnet Blackbird. He then unfurled his Superfly, completing his rig for the coming night.

The next to arrive was WrAsylum. Unfortunately for him the trees left around the site were not suitable for hanging and he had to go a hunting. He settled on a site about two hundred meters from HK and I, and was soon finished setting up his WB Blackbird and Cuban Fiber Tarp.

The rest of the afternoon was spent talking about our gear, suggesting new and old spots to hang, and we even went for a bit of a walk around the park. We saw some large dog, moose and deer, and even rabbit tracks.
    For dinner it was smokies again, washed down by rum and coke. We sat around the glowing fire and conversed more about gear and future plans, until around eleven when HK and WrAsylum turned in for the night.
    Now it was time for my yearly drunken hike. Previous years have seen me discover a weird town, sewage lagoon, and dump site, but this year I wanted to get into the back country.
    I set out, across the frozen parking lot to the trail head of the roughly seventeen kilometer loop and tromped on into the dark forbidding forest.
    I plodded along, making sure to make lots of noise with my footfalls, and every once in a while I would make a "Squatch Call" just to let whatever was lurking out there know I was there. I once got replies from some coyotes just the other side of a small pond from me, I could see their eyes shining in my headlamp light and I figured they knew well enough to leave me alone.
    Eventually, about four km down the trail I came across an outhouse and decided I had had enough adventure. I turned around and retraced my steps ever vigilant of the tricksters that had met me by the pond.
    I arrived back at my camp around one thirty and quickly got into my cozy nest, this time donning my sleep system hood which proved to be a good move. I was sounders in minutes.
    As dawn was breaking, sounds from another campsite woke my slumber. My feet were cold as usual, and I needed a trip to the outhouse. I grudgingly peeled back my top quilt discovering the thin layer of frost covering the inside of my tarp while it fell in my face. My bedding was also damp from condensation, but it kept me warm none the less.
    Returning from the commode, I jumped into my truck and fired it up, to get some heat into my feet. After some time, I noticed WrAsylum walking up the road to join me at the camp. I hopped out and quickly got to the fire, trying to get it lit for some much needed respite from the cold. We were then joined by HK and we all proceeded to get a hot fire going. We all talked a little more about future plans, and I am sure everyone was thinking another night out would have been great.
    Around ten o'clock we all went to tearing down, HangingKayaker was first to finish and came over to say goodbye. About half hour later WrAsylum come up from his site to bid farewell, we exchanged phone numbers ( he gave me his, I still as of yet have to text him), and said our goodbyes. Twenty minutes later saw myself packed up and headed home.
    This was a great time out there in Miquelon Provincial Park. I have some plans in the works for a mid march hang that I hope will get more turnout, but hey, I think the three of us had a wicked weekend. Thanks guys for joining me out there.

Last edited by snidetripod; 02-03-2016 at 15:57.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    Looks awesome. Lived near there for 4 years, Miquelon is a great park once you learn to pronounce it and great beach in the summer. Thanks for posting! I miss the opportunity to see moose when just out for a walk.
    Niagara

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Now that was a pleasure to read.

Thanks

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Written in such melodious tongue, it was a pleasure to read this.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    SLD 4 Season
    Insulation
    EE UQ and EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Agreed - this is a fantastic read.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you guys.

• + New Posts