Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Fabric, Taper, Down, and Footbox Opinions Wanted (Go into Detail with Reasoning)

Hello Everyone,

Its been a while since I've posted, but since its starting to warm up again I'm starting to get more into a hobby that I love. I know these questions have been answered in several places but I'm hoping to consolidate it all into one with a nice title that people will easily find in google searches, forum searches, etc. Not to mention I am buying a top quilt in the next 4-7 days and you guys may help decide how that turns out!

I would like responses to be well thought out, organized, and written.

Here are the questions I would like opinions on:

How much of a difference does ARGON 67 vs. ARGON 90 make on the inside of a top quilt? It seems 67 is preferable, but due to lack of colors how much of a difference in comfort would it be sleeping in ARGON 90?

Are there any pros to a Taper in your quilt besides loss of weight?

If baffles are a fixed 'depth' (1.5") does overstuff increase the warmth of the sleeping bag? Or just make it easier to fluff up to the entire fixed 'depth'?

What are your thoughts on various footbox designs: snap and draw, sewn, and insulated footbox? Do you think one may be preferable in certain conditions? When do you think you would prefer one over the other?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I'll take a crack.

The inner fabric of a topquilt makes exactly no difference IMHO, provided it's not sandpaper. For cold weather quilts you're likely wearing base layer tops, bottoms, socks, and maybe even a balaclava, so no skin touches it. In summer, assuming you have some uncovered skin, how does the fabric of your hammock feel? Does that bother you? If not, than the quilt fabric won't either. As far as weight, you're talking maybe tenths of an ounce difference and that will vary by how carefully the fabric is cut an sewn anyway.

Yes - again for cold weather quilts, a taper reduces the airspace around you and is therefore warmer. It is also lighter and will pack smaller than a similar rectangular quilt.

Up to a point overstuff may give a few degrees of warmth (and maybe faster loft). But stuff to much in any you will actually reduce insulation efficiency.

All my winter (20° and 0°) have full insulated footboxes. My 40° has snap/draw. Because in the winter I like room to throw some socks or boot liners in the bottom, but mostly I bought them that way for warmth. In my warmer summer quilt I like to be able to open it up fully to stick my feet out or partially to vent to moderate the heat. Often it will be 60 degrees when I fall asleep but drop to the 40s overnight. Need to adjust more to the ambient temp in summer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very informative Grumpy Squatch and a great start to the thread! Thank you!

A tapered quilt also behaves better in a hammock, I wish I had tapered mine more.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Here's a good read for you if you haven't seen it already. Lots of current info on TQ technologies, fabrics, builds, downs, etc....

UGQ TQ BUYERS GUIDE
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    OK - not well thought out, organized, or written but...

IMO overstuff mainly helps to reduce the down shifting within the compartments. 1 1/2 inch baffles can be packed tight with down and still won't be much warmer (if any) than a compartment filled to the proper amount. Somebody, in a lab somewhere, has calculated what that amount is.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

• + New Posts