Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchman View Post
    I take it that's an endorsement. Thanks for trying my product. The key is not to overtension the hammock (under 30 deg loaded) since it will drive the load beyond the safe working load. I would be interested in getting wear data over time.
    Definately an endorsement. I bounced in the hammock until I was affraid I'd rip it. So I'm pretty sure they'll stand up to my normal hanging. I normally don't get off the bike till dusk*, so these are going to make setting up in the dark a lot faster and easier.

(* it's harder for the land owners to spot me then. )
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    hitchman, if you come up with a product that will do straps instead of rope I would be interested in a set.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. However that is not likely to happen anytime soon. As it is I jumped off the deep end with this design which is my first attempt to sell my own product. I started with a lot of optimism but the reality is that it takes a lot of marketing resources to get the exposure and sales to break even. At this point I don't think about it and try to be satisfied that it is a learning experience, and as you know going to school is expensive. All the retailers I contact are carrying the Nite-Ize figure-9, which is not nearly as functional (IMMO), and Made in China trumps the better product.
    Well, sour grapes...

I ordered the minis and they arrived within 6 days. Not bad for overseas. I've done the same as Btourer and gingerly tested my weight then bounced. They work exceptionally well, very easy to setup and adjust on my Speer hammock. I'll be getting more for the other hammocks I'm making.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by btourer View Post
    Definately an endorsement. I bounced in the hammock until I was affraid I'd rip it. So I'm pretty sure they'll stand up to my normal hanging. I normally don't get off the bike till dusk*, so these are going to make setting up in the dark a lot faster and easier.

(* it's harder for the land owners to spot me then. )
    bbtourer - do you pull the suspension tight when you hang or do you hang loose with a lot of sag in the suspension - even before getting in the hammock - as pictured by hitchman?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    After spending the last 3 hours reading this thread; I think I just heard something go "pop" in my brain! I hope it wasn't anything important.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    After spending the last 3 hours reading this thread; I think I just heard something go "pop" in my brain! I hope it wasn't anything important.
    Nah - it's like popcorn, just overheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwidad View Post
    I ordered the minis and they arrived within 6 days. Not bad for overseas. I've done the same as Btourer and gingerly tested my weight then bounced. They work exceptionally well, very easy to setup and adjust on my Speer hammock. I'll be getting more for the other hammocks I'm making.
    I'm glad you received them already. It's the first order I had from AUS.
    I hope the parts work for you. I assume you are not using 1/8" line, for which I do not recommend the Mini ropetie. The margin of safety for the 1/8 line is significantly lower than with 3/16 or 1/4, and it can slip at the jam cleat, when overloaded. One way to ad safety margin is to use two ropeties in tandem as shown in the user guide card... that will also ad leverage to the tensioning, but working so close to the limit will reduce the wear life of the parts.

Hitchman, I use a Speer type setup with 3/16 ropes. Today I put an electronic strain guage on one of my ropes and got max 85kg (approx 187lb). I feel comfy with that so she'll do me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    bbtourer - do you pull the suspension tight when you hang or do you hang loose with a lot of sag in the suspension - even before getting in the hammock - as pictured by hitchman?
    I pull the hammock until it's pretty snug but not overly so. Generally the farther apart the trees are the tighter I pull it. I'd actually give a bit more than I'd like to compensate for the lashing giving. For this test I had it hung between trees that were about 11 feet apart and I had the ridgline pulled tight enough to twang when you plucked it. I intentionally hung between closer trees so that I'd be getting less sag. I'd say I was at about 25 degrees angle.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I got mine from Cabelo's in the mail yesterday. After seeing them I am kind of skeptical of using them now. I am not to thrilled about the pinching points that pinches the rope to keep it from slipping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast