2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Packrat69 View Post
    Did my first winter hang this year and the temp dipped down to minus 25. Was toasty warm with a - 15 synthetic SB over a -5 down SB use as a top quilt all nested inside a Bivy sack, and a DIY underquilt made from a -10 poly fill SB with a CCF pad tucked inside between the hammock and the UQ bag, and a reflectix blanket in the hammock, Slept in long underwear and wool socks and fleece hoodie and hat. No problems with being cold, had one of my best sleeps ever.
    Thanks Packrat69. Ontario weather would certainly be a good test environment for cold weather hanging. You've got a bit more equipment than I do. Frankly I don't have many opportunities for single digit stuff where I live so can't justify building an inventory of really cold weather equipment. I've taken the approach of combining items to see if I can extend my range. I'll match you with hoodie and hat though. Learned keeping my head warm was the first step.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I would put the Costco blanket inside the 20º TQ. But the 0º sleeping bag may be a better bet.
    Shug
    I hadn't thought of putting the Costco blanket inside the TQ. I'd worried about it slipping around. Good thought. Thanks. I've mirrored your sleep wardrobe, it is good advice and will have clothing ready tonight. Temps only went to 24 last night so hoping tonight Saturday night brings a cold snap. Forecast remains about 11 with some wind chill. Actually kind of looking forward to getting out even if in the backyard which is heavily wooded. I live in a wooded subdivision, just behind my house is a path that deer follow pretty regularly so it is almost like being out in the woods. :-)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    If you will have the ability to heat water - bring a Hot Water bottle that will seal tight. You will be glad you did (and you will need unfrozen water in the morning anyway).
    I prefer a sleeping bag with a hood and fleece blanket/liner for very cold nights better than stacking TQs, but practice before going so you can take the middle night pee break without a lot of fuss.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-To-Stay-Warm
    I'd wondered about a water bottle. Will have that option ready when I hit the sack tonight. Your point about the call of nature applies to me. I'm an old dog and get up at least once a night.

Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    You should be good with that. I don't think you need 2 pairs of wool socks, socks be better thick and dry, and one pair should be enough. If you have wool for base layer or as a sweater, that would work better than fleece, but you're good to go down to 0F in my opinion with your setup. Change into dry clothes before bed, eat well, have something rich in fat. Don't overdress too much, or you might get too hot early on and then your base layer would be compromised with sweat. It's better to add an extra layer when you feel cold than to be too hot. IMHO

+1 on water bottle. You will need that water in the morning.
    Agree with you about trying to not dress too heavily initially. Has happened to me. Now I put a couple extras on the shelf in my Warbonnet and just reach over during the night if cool and add something. Good idea. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    20F quilt + clothes + extra down blanket ought to be enough for 0F, if the tarp is pitched low to the ground and there is no wind sipping all warmth away.
    I'll let you know. I noticed the wind this morning was coming in from the west. I'll pitch my tarp tonight to block it. Last time I hung in the mountains just before Christmas the wind howled all night. First time I'd hung my tarp really low and closed it up. Tarp touched the ground but I think that set up was helpful.

Hammock
    Chameleon, wbxlc
    Tarp
    Dutch ultralight
    Insulation
    HG 0 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie, webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    If you will have the ability to heat water - bring a Hot Water bottle that will seal tight. You will be glad you did (and you will need unfrozen water in the morning anyway).
    I prefer a sleeping bag with a hood and fleece blanket/liner for very cold nights better than stacking TQs, but practice before going so you can take the middle night pee break without a lot of fuss.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-To-Stay-Warm

Make sure if you use a water bottle it won't leak. I use my nalgene and put it into a sock, it has never leaked but I have a friend who used a generic bottle and woke up with wet quilts.

So just boil water, put in nalgene and sleep cozy. If you start getting cold put is close to your artery in your leg/groin area. great way to warm you up fast.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I gave it a try last night. Temp got down to 5 degrees and I was comfortable. Thanks to everyone's advice. I wanted to experiment with my lightweight down stuff to see if I could configure several items that were packable that I already had. They worked. The wind didn't blow as hard last night as predicted which helped.

Shug, your suggestion of putting the Costco down blanket inside of my 20 degree JRB top quilt worked. I did a bit of DIY on the blanket shown in pictures below that added to your suggestion. Thanks.

I appreciate everyone's advice. Taken together has extended my temp range by about 15-20 degrees, plenty for my normal range.

1 Warbonnet only.jpg

2 JRB TQ as UQ.jpg

3 HG UQ .jpg

I tied the JRB top quilt to the HG bottom quilt using attachment hooks on both quilts. Was glad I did that because it kept both together and when I pulled the quilts up a little on my shoulder both moved
    4 2QZQ quilt protector.jpg

5 Warbonnet ready.jpg

I grouped the Costco down blanket tying it together with a piece of string. When I got into the hammock I pushed both quilts down and got my feet into the Costco blanket then inserted myself into the top quilt pulling both up toward my chin. Worked well both starting the night and again when I had to get up during the night. All that down didn't get tangled up.
    6 DIY Costco down blanket.jpg

7 DIY Costco down blanket.jpg

8 tarp on.jpg
    Last edited by JSH; 02-14-2016 at 11:02.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot. Thanks for sharing your lessons with us. Anything you would do differently?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot. Thanks for sharing your lessons with us. Anything you would do differently?
    I'd wear a stocking cap to cover my forehead a bit better in the hammock. I had my JRB down hood plus a fleece balaclava but my forehead got kind of cool a couple times. I also threw on a pair of base layer long jons last night. Hadn't planned that but thought it prudent. Believe these helped.

Other than that my insulation packages worked pretty well. I'm not shooting for below zero capability. But want to be able to have a contingency on a winter trip into the mountains when there might a bit of a cold snap. Can add the extra down elements for about a pound of pack weight.

I'm not sure what to do about condensation within my hammock. I left the cover about 50% open but there was considerable frost formation on the interior. My down stuff was OK. I used a small towel over the front of that just below my face. I've seen Shug's mod on this and can appreciate how it could help now.

Glad I tested last night. Now I know. But I've taken my rig down for the day. Going to snow tonight and I don't want to break everything down with snow cover tomorrow. Planning going to the Blue Ridge next weekend with a group. Let my gear dry couple days completely and repack about Thursday.

Have to thank everyone again for their advice. Really helpful.

Hammock
    Anonymous
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Eno UQ + relectix
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Just checking in to see how that Blue Ridge trip went. It was fairly warm, so I guess you didn't get to test out the equipment in extreme cold?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I didn't go in the end. Family responsibilities with my Mom in adult care. Group indicated it was pretty mild. I'm glad I was able to try out my combinations of insulation the weekend before. Now I know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12