Hammock
    Dutch Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    For what it's worth Dave Canterbury sees many hammocks in his classes. I had a WBBB and saw several of the big box brands represented one weekend. I think there were 5 or 6 total. Temps were low teens and not one had an underquilt, but that was 3 years ago. I wonder how many there would be now.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post

Some questions for everybody:
    When a new poster shows up with seemingly silly questions, how will he be treated here? Will he be advised and guided in the best practices for a safe and comfortable hang? Will he simply be pointed toward your preferred vendor regardless of his questions or needs? Will he be mocked and treated rudely? Would he recommend this site to his new hanging friends or would he advise them to steer clear of this place?
    Well said.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    I'm one of those guys that saw the video and had to have one. After doing a bunch of research ordered my DH Thunderbird yesterday.

So there is at least one sale because of Dave's review.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your Thunderbird!

Hopefully your research has shown, that you better pitch your hammock in a different angle than Dave did.
    : )

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien #3000
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopies
    I agree Papa Smurf. Hammocking is a skill set all its own much like using a bow drill. Dave is a smart guy and a premier voice in bushcraft circles. He has actually taught me quite a bit. I'm hoping he takes no offense to the links I provided him and I certainly meant none. Implementing these skills in a bug out scenario I'm sure is going to help a lot of people.
    We heard it was gonna rain, we came anyway...

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    EEEEEK!! Guns and Hammocks in that video!
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    EEEEEK!! Guns and Hammocks in that video!
    haha, whiners unite!

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps
    I've had the opportunity to speak with Dave several times over the past few weeks via phone and emails. I must admit I never knew who he was until I clicked through some links he had provided in his email signature. To me he was just some guy who wanted to talk hammocks and had some questions about our products. In every single conversation we had, he was perfectly pleasant and a very courteous person. If anybody has issues with his on-air personality or other beefs, that's on you. I thought he was great to work with just like so many of the folks we talk with every day.

I wasn't thrilled to see how taut the hammock was hanging in the video, but we had outfitted that particular one with a 7/64" Amsteel ridgeline so I knew we were good. I was very grateful for the kind things he said about our hammock and our company.

Those of us a little farther down this path have the burden and the responsibility to suggest and advise best practices. They will not always be followed of course, but we should still try. Newer folks just don't know what many of you recently learned, but now take for granted. It is through forums like this where these people learn stuff like this. I'm up until midnight about every evening answering questions about general hanging topics that have little or nothing to do with the products we sell. Why do you think that is? Could these folks not get the same information by posting questions here on hammock forums?

Some questions for everybody:
    When a new poster shows up with seemingly silly questions, how will he be treated here? Will he be advised and guided in the best practices for a safe and comfortable hang? Will he simply be pointed toward your preferred vendor regardless of his questions or needs? Will he be mocked and treated rudely? Would he recommend this site to his new hanging friends or would he advise them to steer clear of this place?

well said papa. i am newer here and fairly new to hammocking, i have learned a lot from this site and from u-tube videos i am pretty confident you are always learning and finding your own way and system that works for you. and am getting ready to buy a sparrow from dream hammocks and i have never had one with a ridge line, i think shug pretty much covered it but what are your opinions on the difference between ridge line or not? and how do you break it to your wife that you are going to spend that much money on a new hammock? lol i have always had cheap hammocks $50 or less
    Last edited by tomlj75; 02-23-2019 at 23:19.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlj75 View Post
    well said papa. i am new here and fairly new to hammocking, i have learned a lot from this site and from u-tube videos i am pretty confident you are always learning and finding your own way and system that works for you. and am getting ready to buy a sparrow from dream hammocks and i have never had one with a ridge line, i think shug pretty much covered it but what are your opinions on the difference between ridge line or not? and how do you break it to your wife that you are going to spend that much money on a new hammock? lol i have always had cheap hammocks $50 or less
    I'm definitely all for using a ridgeline on your hammock. A ridgeline gives me better comfort and a consistent sag every hang.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm definitely all for using a ridgeline on your hammock. A ridgeline gives me better comfort and a consistent sag every hang.
    Plus you get to hang a bunch of stuff from it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast