Hammock
    DIY,Dream and Dutch
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, HG ,AHE
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Oh boy,all I need is another hammock...but I really want to try this stuff and at this price I had to order some!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    Right now everyone is calibrated on standard nylon for hammock fabrics. I know it sounds crazy, but I think 1.0 oz ROBIC is at least equivalent to 1.6 oz HyperD in terms of durability (abrasion and slippage). I can say that just based on my personal testing. On strength it's probably close. The testing continues.
    What do you consider "standard" nylon though? When I go to their website I see they compare the strength of ROBIC to nylon 6, but most places using 1.1 fabric for hammocks are using High Tenacity Nylon 6.6. They are only comparing Robic to the weaker nylon 6 so not a good comparison for the hammock world...What is the tensile strength per inch? I could test it for you if you like.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Fightin' words.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    Just placed an order for 4yds of charcoal with spectra yellow thread! I had to do it...I'm in the process of making a new hammock stand...I couldn't put an old hammock on a new stand...right? Makes sense to me anyway!!!

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    What do you consider "standard" nylon though? When I go to their website I see they compare the strength of ROBIC to nylon 6, but most places using 1.1 fabric for hammocks are using High Tenacity Nylon 6.6. They are only comparing Robic to the weaker nylon 6 so not a good comparison for the hammock world...What is the tensile strength per inch? I could test it for you if you like.
    I would consider standard nylon to be nylon 6, which is what most DIY hammocks and vendors are using at present. ROBIC and nylon 6.6 are similar in tensile strength.

I've seen the 1.1 WBBB and recognized you were using nylon 6.6. It's a nice fabric you have.
    Last edited by ripstopbytheroll; 02-11-2016 at 21:31.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

ROBIC and nylon 6.6 are similar in tensile strength.

I've seen the 1.1 WBBB and recognized you were using nylon 6.6. It's a nice fabric you have.
    I have used a few 1.1 nylons for my DIY hammocks, however I none of them held up to abrasion as compared to my 1.1 WBBB. I wondered what the difference in materials was. If ROBIC's abrasion resistance is on par with nylon 66 this should be a great hammock material. I think I will try it and see.

Hammock
    Dutch's prototypes
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    All Dutchware
    With all due respect, Warbonnet guy brings up a good point. I checked out Hyosung's site who make Robic and they bill it as an economical alternative to Nylon 6/6 and less tensile strength. Here is what they state...

ROBIC TM is specially modified nylon 6 yarn of Hyosung, which is made with extra strength adding, so that ROBIC TM fabric is much more stronger than conventional nylon6 fabric. It can compete with N66 high tenacity fabric with the benefit of competitive price.

And here is the graph,

Which vendors are using nylon 6 for their hammocks as standard?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Num Num Num

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by biggcarl View Post
    With all due respect, Warbonnet guy brings up a good point. I checked out Hyosung's site who make Robic and they bill it as an economical alternative to Nylon 6/6 and less tensile strength. Here is what they state...

ROBIC TM is specially modified nylon 6 yarn of Hyosung, which is made with extra strength adding, so that ROBIC TM fabric is much more stronger than conventional nylon6 fabric. It can compete with N66 high tenacity fabric with the benefit of competitive price.

And here is the graph,

Which vendors are using nylon 6 for their hammocks as standard?
    I agree. I think Brandon was trying to point out that he uses nylon 6.6, which is a higher performance fabric very similar to ROBIC. The comparisons I'm making are to standard nylon 6. I call nylon 6 standard because that's the most widely used material by DIYers, cottage vendors, and even some larger hammock companies.
    - Kyle

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post

Lastly, we're running a PRE-SALE ONLY special price of just $6.75 /yd. Please understand that these specialty fabrics cost us more to produce and weave from scratch, so we will not be able to offer this price past the PRE-SALE period or perhaps ever again. Said another way, if you buy during PRE-SALE, you are getting the best deal possible.

For colors, we're starting with a full palette of 12 - Black, Burnt Orange, Charcoal Gray, Coyote Brown, Dark Olive, Deep Purple, Hunter Green, Olive Drab, Racing Red, Robin Egg Blue, Spectra Yellow, and Vader Blue.

So that's it. If you have questions I'll be happy to answer. Have a great night everyone!!!

Thanks
    Just an update that we have decided to extend the PRE-SALE on 1.0 oz ROBIC XL through this weekend. Regular pricing will take effect Monday @ 8 am. Thanks!
    - Kyle

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    STOP TEMPTING ME. I haven't spent any time in the last 2 hammocks I felt compelled to make from new fabrics.
    Soon I'll be able to put up a fresh hammock everyday of a camping trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast