Dream Hammock, Danger Bird
    Tarp
    UGQ, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ, ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

Black Hills???

Question here. I'm trying to plan my fall camping trip and was thinking maybe the Black Hills. I would like to do about a 20 mile loop and was looking into Grizzly Creek-Norbeck Loop. Has any one been to the Black Hills hanging, where do you camp (any where you want/designated campsites), and is there water? Open to all suggestions and recommendations.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    jaydavis

seeing as the black hills are my home (spearfish) i can try and answer all questions you might have

when we go out, myself and sodakgrrl we both stealth and campground camp, more of the latter, as long as you're on forest service land you can camp anywhere, although you are not allowed to have a campfire outside of the fire rings in the campgrounds, campgrounds are usually about $15-$20 a night and all have pit toilets, well water and fire rings at the least

for the most part in all but the driest years you should have no problems with finding water

the norbeck/black elk wilderness is an amazing place and you can't go wrong hiking down in that area and probably won't hardly see another soul except in the harney peak area

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I hiked Black Elk Wilderness Area last June with a group of Boy Scouts. We hiked Grizzly Bear Creek Trail #7 from the east up to Harney Peak, then returned on Norbec Trail #3 back to Centennial trail to complete a loop. We camped just past Horsethief Lake trail on night 1, and about midway down the Norbeck trail on night 2.

Camping is dispersed camping. Hanging a few hammocks will not be a problem along Grizzily Bear creek. The portion of the NorbecK Trail between Harney Peak and Custer State Park is NASTY. Steep, rutted and rocky. The forest near that portion of the trail is scrubby and thick. We eventually found a clearing just prior to Custer State Park. Apparently this is a site that native americans use for a sweat lodge for religious ceremonies in the Summer. This site is also very near water. After crossing through Custer State Park the Norbeck trail improved significantly both in the quality of the trail and the availability of trees from which to hang. We spent too much time on Harney Peak. I wish we'd have gotten to this portion of the trail on day 2.

Again, dispersed camping so just wander off the trail and find a scenic spot to spend the evening.

Our hike was early in the season, water was not an issue. The Scouts rather enjoyed the many water crossings. My understanding is that later in the year, water can be more scarce.

Grizzly Bear Creek trail had many downed and uncleared trees when we hiked. I would expect that by Fall you would have fewer trees across the trail but, you will see a quite obvious difference between the management of the Wilderness area and the National and State Forests.

The small stretch of the Centenial trail we hike was by far the most scenic and most enjoyable.

I will go back.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific concerns that I could address. Good Luck!
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ, ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Thanks for the info guys. Got a few more questions. Beings I will not be able to have a fire when would be a good time to go where the lows would maybe mid 40s and not many/no bugs? Also where could I get some good trail maps and I see some places require trail passes. Where can I get the passes (on-line?)and are the places to park free and safe to leave a car for several nights? Just doing some reading I see things that say do not drink the water and to bring your own???
    Last edited by jaydavis; 02-11-2016 at 18:35.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydavis View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Got a few more questions. Beings I will not be able to have a fire when would be a good time to go where the lows would maybe mid 40s and not many/no bugs? Also where could I get some good trail maps and I see some places require trail passes. Where can I get the passes (on-line?)and are the places to park free and safe to leave a car for several nights? Just doing some reading I see things that say do not drink the water and to bring your own???
    september would probably be your best month for lows in the 40's and not much for bugs, you can find trail maps for free at any of the forest service offices in the area, if you pm me your address i will round some up and send em your way

as far as trail passes go i think the only place you need to have one is when you enter the black elk wilderness and you just fill one out at the trail head and attach it to your pack, they cost nothing, i think it is just away of keeping track of how many are in your party and how many people are visiting the area, parking your car at any trial head is fine, and although you can never guarantee some idiot won't do something to your car i would feel comfortable leaving mine

as far as water goes i have been drinking out of springs in the hills for the better part of 40 years without any problems, if i have a filter i use it in the creeks and streams but if i didn't i would drink the water anyway and be comfortable doing it

on a side note, we will be having the 5th annual black hills hang on august 25th, 26th and 27th if that interests you any

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ, ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    september would probably be your best month for lows in the 40's and not much for bugs, you can find trail maps for free at any of the forest service offices in the area, if you pm me your address i will round some up and send em your way

as far as trail passes go i think the only place you need to have one is when you enter the black elk wilderness and you just fill one out at the trail head and attach it to your pack, they cost nothing, i think it is just away of keeping track of how many are in your party and how many people are visiting the area, parking your car at any trial head is fine, and although you can never guarantee some idiot won't do something to your car i would feel comfortable leaving mine

as far as water goes i have been drinking out of springs in the hills for the better part of 40 years without any problems, if i have a filter i use it in the creeks and streams but if i didn't i would drink the water anyway and be comfortable doing it

on a side note, we will be having the 5th annual black hills hang on august 25th, 26th and 27th if that interests you any

boot
    Thanks a lot.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Because I was responsible for othe peoples kids, I called the forest service about the warnings regarding the water. The warnings make it seem as if there are dangerous chemicals or minerals in the water. The reason behind the warnings was that the trails get used by horses which poop in or near the water supply. The forest service advocated filtering the available surface water.

With regards to parking, we left vehicles at a trailhead for three days. They wre unattended but, undisturbed. As Boothill mentioned, other-than our time near Harney Preak, we had the entire wilderness to ourselves.

There is a trail map availble at the bottom of the Black Elk Wilderness web page. If you phone the forest service, they will send you copies for free. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/black...a/?recid=80906
    Last edited by OCDave; 02-12-2016 at 11:16.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydavis View Post
    Question here. I'm trying to plan my fall camping trip and was thinking maybe the Black Hills. I would like to do about a 20 mile loop and was looking into Grizzly Creek-Norbeck Loop. Has any one been to the Black Hills hanging, where do you camp (any where you want/designated campsites), and is there water? Open to all suggestions and recommendations.
    Holy Cow! I thought I was the only person from Mason City on here! well.. I guess you make 2!
    -Jason-

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ, ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Got a buddy that lives here to that hangs

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ, ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Because I was responsible for othe peoples kids, I called the forest service about the warnings regarding the water. The warnings make it seem as if there are dangerous chemicals or minerals in the water. The reason behind the warnings was that the trails get used by horses which poop in or near the water supply. The forest service advocated filtering the available surface water.

With regards to parking, we left vehicles at a trailhead for three days. They wre unattended but, undisturbed. As Boothill mentioned, other-than our time near Harney Preak, we had the entire wilderness to ourselves.

There is a trail map availble at the bottom of the Black Elk Wilderness web page. If you phone the forest service, they will send you copies for free. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/black...a/?recid=80906
    Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast