Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Y'all

lostinthewoodz

Hey Y'all

Howdy! I have always considered myself an outdoor guy. Even if its just in my head. I hunt and fish and process my own game. I am on my way to being a "prepper". I haven't really stockpiled food or anything else. That's just a little bit about my personality.
    As far as hangin in a hammock I am an amateur. I used to sleep in a hammock outside at my grannies house growin up on the weekends and I have used a hammock here and there camping. When I camp I like to be away from all the yuppies. I am not one for camp grounds where you have someone in an RV or a tent 100ft from you on both sides (and sometimes surrounding you). So I backpack. Historically I have either used just a tarp or a tent. Tarps I have used have usually been bought at wally world and weigh a ton, and tents I have carried have always been dome tents. I used to be in the military and have carried a rucksack before. Nothing in the military is lightweight so I never really concerned myself with packs weighing in excess of 75lbs. Well now I am looking to lighten my load and liberate myself from the ground. All the specialized gear out there is crazy. And trying to decide what to get is a chore.
    Anyway so far my hammock setup consists of a blackbird xlc double layer 1.7 and a cloudburst tarp I just got. I set it up in the backyard and slept out in it the night before last. The temps were in the mid 20's and the wind was whipping. I used an ozark trail foam pad from wally world and slept in my kelty sleeping bag rated at 35 degrees. I wore long johns, a polypropylene shirt, a hoody, my old military fleece jacket, and two pair of socks. I was OK. not exactly warm and not cold either, except when I rolled on my side once and my butt was no longer on the foam pad but up against the hammock. Then my butt was cold. I am not sure how I feel about the foam pad though. I kind of feel like it takes away from the hammock conforming to my body. So I am looking at maybe getting an underquilt, but I am just uneducated on the topic. Its also February, so I don't really want to buy a "winter" underquilt per say and then have to buy something for summer later..... either way, I am almost certain no matter what I get it will be full length. I personally don't see myself using something shorter and then still having to lug a pad around for my feet or whatever other part would be unprotected. So that is a short rundown of my current situation. Looking for some guidance. I have also been watching some youtube videos. Let me just say that never in my life have I watched youtube videos. I dont do social media or any of that junk. However once I came across some of Shug's videos I got hooked. His personality cracks me up. I have watched his hammock videos and all kinds of other stuff. I work 12 hr shifts at my job... and let me just say that while being on night shift....my boss might be disturbed by the amount of time I have spent on youtube.

Also, what do y'all do when you cant find trees "close enough" the trees in my backyard are kind of spread out. I was still able to use the webbing/buckles that came with the blackbird, but I am almost on the ground after getting the hammock to where I think it should be. If I tighten it up to get higher I think it is too taut. I could go higher up the tree and let it out a little more to get a better angle, but I wont be carrying a step ladder in the woods and therefore would like some ideas of what you guys do about the distance issue
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 02-12-2016 at 06:18. Reason: removed weapons references

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. I wouldn't worry about finding trees close enough. My back yard stinks too. You'll probably be warmer with an underquilt.

You might want to read the Terms of Service - firearms-related posts aren't allowed.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mockForums-net
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

lostinthewoodz
    So in the "introduce yourself" threads you aren't supposed to give people background on yourself and your other hobbies??

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Welcome.

100 ft away isn't so bad, many campgrounds up this way have people packed in closer. Hate that and it's why I like camping in the off seasons, fewer folks around.

If the trees are more than 25 ft apart, I keep looking. Haven't really had the problem much except at campgrounds with smaller sites. In that case I'd hang out of bounds and was never hassled by the Rangers. Back country has never been an issue, just keep moving til you find what works.

For sure you could take a portable stand when car camping, there are several options both DIY and Commercial. Search up TurtleDog Stands.

If you really are worried about trees, there are setups that allow you to use your hiking poles or something like them with a bunch of tie lines and spikes to hold the pole in place.

Something like this:
    http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/page/w...-hammock-stand

Pads work, and yeah, underquilts give back that 'hammock feeling', they're just take a little fiddling to get right. Check Shug Shug Shuggity Shug's videos on underquilt setup. Paul from ArrowHead-Equipment also has a good video on the subject.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinthewoodz View Post
    So in the "introduce yourself" threads you aren't supposed to give people background on yourself and your other hobbies??
    It's pretty black and white:

"IV. Political, Religious and Controversial Posts. Hammock Forums has a strict rule against political, religious, and firearm related posts."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

lostinthewoodz
    So be it then. I don't think I posted anything controversial. I posted information about myself in an introductory forum.
    How do I delete my account on here and free up a screen name for someone else?

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

Hey Y'all

That's not necessary that you delete your account. Many people here probably have similar backgrounds etc. That said it's called hammock forums for a reason. Welcome there's lots to read and learn here. Probably lots of potential friends your likely to meet should you stay.
    No matter where you go...There you are..

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinthewoodz View Post
    So be it then. I don't think I posted anything controversial. I posted information about myself in an introductory forum.
    How do I delete my account on here and free up a screen name for someone else?
    No worries, if you did anything questionable, a mod will chime in.

This post isn't about firearms, it's an introduction with questions about hammocking.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Hello, from Florida.

First, don't worry about your intro. There was nothing too specific about your hunting tools. Just keep it to hammocks and related gear going forward.

To help you in your backyard: If your trees are close enough to still use your stock suspension, they are close enough. Make sure the suspension is at about 30*. You can use your hiking poles to push the straps up the tree.

Put the strap as high as you can reach. Use the point of the hiking poles to open the strap a bit then slip the point between the strap and tree going back and forth while raising the strap on both trees until the hammock is chair height. Pull the strap away from the tree to tighten and give it a test nap.

Come down to Ocala National Forest for some group hangs if it's not too far. We have several throughout the year.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Welcome, Try rigging a structural ridgeline for your hammock. It helps get the correct sag while using trees further apart without the need of a step ladder.
    A canoe or trike to do most of the hauling.
    A hammock to take away the bumps at night.
    Now that's the way to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast